How do I access servers on my computer

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
pwatkins
How do I access servers on my computer

Post by pwatkins » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:21 pm

Before OOMA, I had Cable Modem -> Router->LAN

I could setup and use FTP, HTTP, and SSH servers on my computer.

Now with OOMA, I have cable modem->ooma hub->Router->Lan but existing servers are not accessible from outside my LAN. For example, if I try to FTP to my computer or SSH to my computer, I reach the ooma setup hub page. Before OOMA I could access SSH, FTP and HTTP servers on my computers.

I can access the servers locally -- that is from the LAN by using an IP address setup by the ooma dhcp but not with name resolution using the registered domain name information.

Please advise.

THanks,

Paul.

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: How do I access servers on my computer

Post by Bobby B » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi pwatkins,

Assuming you have existing port forwarding rules configured on your router - you'll need to setup new rules for these applications on your ooma Hub. For example for SSH, you'll need to configure a port forwarding rule on port "22" for "TCP" to forward to the IP address of your router.

To figure out the port numbers of your other services, I'd check the existing port forwarding rules you have configured on your router and replicate the appropriate services to the ooma Hub.

To access the ooma Hub configuration, just browse to "setup.ooma.com" from one of your home PCs.

Thanks,
Bobby
Bobby B

pwatkins

Post by pwatkins » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:55 pm

The port forwarding doesn't really work because the IP addresses available via DCHP on the router are in a different sub network: 192.168.0.xxx Those IP addresses don't work in the OOMA port forwarding and using the HOME port forwarding address of OOMA with the router port address doesn't work for me.

Instead, I just placed OOMA behind the router rather in front of router and everything is fine now, including QoS. (This is the way my current AT&T Call Vantage VOIP service works in my setup and now OOMA is no different).

Thanks,

Paul

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:49 pm

I had this problem...So I decided to leave the ooma device in between the modem/router and just use the DMZ setting to pass everything to my router.

This way all the port forwarding, etc I had set up with my router still works without having to duplicate it inside the ooma device setup.

It seems to me that this device should be set up with the DMZ feature active by default. If you don't already have a firewall with a router you can enable this one....but for everyone else the default should be DMZ.

Just a thought.

AngelaKendig

Post by AngelaKendig » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:43 am

av8rdude wrote:I had this problem...So I decided to leave the ooma device in between the modem/router and just use the DMZ setting to pass everything to my router.

This way all the port forwarding, etc I had set up with my router still works without having to duplicate it inside the ooma device setup.

It seems to me that this device should be set up with the DMZ feature active by default. If you don't already have a firewall with a router you can enable this one....but for everyone else the default should be DMZ.

Just a thought.
A good idea is to narrow the DHCP pool down to one IP just in case of a power outage, the Ooma hub may assign a different IP to your router upon power up thus rendering your hard coded DMZ invalid.
The nice thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise.Image