Cant connect to internal server with ooma behind modem

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Joel Carlton
Cant connect to internal server with ooma behind modem

Post by Joel Carlton » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:57 pm

trim81 wrote: Leave the OOma at DEFAULT, do not change anything for the IP settings.

1) On the Ooma, set the appropiate ISP credentials (no need to change anything if you have DHCP from your ISP...place PPOE if you need to.

2) On the Ooma, place 172.35.27.10 to DMZ, and on your Wireless Router, make it become a STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10

3) On the Ooma, set the appropiate QOS settings. Save

4) On your ROUTER, set it to STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10 (and DNS...I use OpenDNS), so user 208.67.222.222 DNS1, 208.67.220.220 DNS2. Save

** What this essentially does is, your ooma will go before your router, and the OOma will be your core QOS. And the 172.35.27.10 address will be DMZed and ALL ports will flow freely to your router.

With this setup, you use your router as normal. No need to change any settings on your LAN.

I tried this but I am still unable to receive any incoming connections.

Charter 10Mbit Down 1.5Mbit up
Setup: Modem > OOMA > Linksys > Apple Extreame > Apple Express

ooma is 172.27.35.1
ooma dmz is 172.27.35.2
Linksys b/g 10/100 static ip is 172.27.35.2
Linksys internal ip is 10.0.2.1
Linksys dmz is 10.0.2.4
Apple Extreme n gigabit ip is 10.0.2.2 and is in bridge mode
Apple Express n gigabit ip is 10.0.2.3 and is in bridge mode
Server is 10.0.2.4
Server is running ports 80, 22, and 5900

In the current setup:
- b,g, and n wireless users can connect.
- 10, 100, and 1000 (gigabit) users can connect
- ALL users can equally back up to network drives, stream audio, etc from any connection.
- Internet works for everyone.

Up till the ooma was installed I could connect to the server from outside the network and ssh, vnc, load web files etc.

If I hook up Modem > Linksys > ooma and apple extreme everything works and I am able to connect into the network to the server but the setup.ooma.com does not work. With this current setup I can do everything I use to but cant have the ooma control the quality.

If I put the ooma back into place right behind the modem No incoming connections. This is a problem sense I am going away and need to get into the server.

One additional note. if the linksys is set to dhcp setup.ooma.com goes to the ooma page. If i turn the linksys to static and use the same ip and custom dns (open dns) setup.ooma.com no longer works and goes to the default open dns search page.

Please help me get this device working properly. I do not want a second isp to simply run a phone.

rajeev_mahajan

Re: Cant connect to internal server with ooma behind modem

Post by rajeev_mahajan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Perhaps you could pick up an ethernet hub (20 bucks at most) and connect the Linksys (router, I assume) and ooma in parallel and see if it works for you. I have it setup this way and it works just fine for both the router and the ooma. Worth a try or you could always return the hub.

Dennis P
Ooma Moderator

Post by Dennis P » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:40 pm

Interesting that this is not working. Is there anyway you can test if the DMZ function on the ooma is working for you or not? You could do that by hooking up your server directly to the ooma (I know very disruptive...). Or are you familiar with wireshark? :)

beschizza

Post by beschizza » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:50 am

One very important thing I just realized:

If you have a globally exposed service running behind an Ooma (e.g. Ooma> Router in DMZ> Server), you can't access that server via the global IP from another computer that is also behind the Ooma. The Ooma will not serve it to you.

For example, accessing my IP address from a browser works just fine for anyone on the internet -- they get to the webserver. But I can't do it: Ooma gives me its own admin interface instead.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Cant you just put the set the router in front of the ooma and DMZ the ooma IP?

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 pm

I've read through a bunch of threads and I am still confused.
Here's what I know:Pre OOMA
Modem in bridge
Router with port forwarding to an ftp server and dyndns service on dlink router.

Problem: when placing the ooma in front of the router the dyndns updates the ip assigned from the ooma. need the ip from isp.

so I moved the ooma behind the router and tweaked the QoS on the router.

What is so wrong with this setup???? Why do people find it necessary to DMZ anything? The only (and this is really minor) is that you need a computer directly connected to ooma for the setup.ooma.com
So if you prefer ooma to be a static IP, just reserve it in the DHCP and run a static in the ooma, but that really isnt gonna do anything for you because the only way to access the setup is via the "HOME" port on the ooma itself. You should not need to mess with that *EVER* its just another device pulling an IP

Use your routers QoS, Most automatically detect the uplink speed anyway is more customizable and assignable.

What am I missing, why are people making this harder than it needs to be?

Everything is normal and I can access everything via internal or external ip except for the ooma.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 pm

I have it setup that way and it works great.

Wayne

runagun

Post by runagun » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:30 am

Yeah, I too got Ooma plugged into the router and so far so good. My question is I have all ports used in my router and need one more open plug. Would it be harmful if I used the Home plug in the Ooma Hub so I can connect my Airave for internet access. So far Its working but would I have any issues in the future or harm the Ooma system by doing this?

t4feb

Post by t4feb » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:43 am

This is also the way I have mine set up and no problems. I run a server and host my own web sites without a hitch. If I need to get to the setup of ooma I just plug one of the other computers into the home port on the back of the ooma and I'm there. I have a thin client sitting on the shelf just for that purpose. I leave the Qos alone on the router in fact its off. Instead I put a Hawkins Broadband booster between the modem and the router and it takes care of the problem of packets going where they need to go when requested or needed.
Terry

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:37 am

runagun:
I would get a cheap 4+ port switch (hub) and connect it to your router.
Not sure if connecting to your ooma might slow down your internet connection during a call or mess with call quality.

Wayne