Dial Tone and Data on whole house?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
av8rdude
Re: Dial Tone and Data on whole house?

Post by av8rdude » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:32 am

Since we now have an answer the hub should really only have a single outlet that provides tone and communicates with scouts. Or better yet the hub could have several connections that all do the same thing.
The only case the hub needs its current configuration to support is someone insisting on using their legacy land line. Then the hub configures itself to receive tone from an external source on the phone connection.
Scott

toddbecker

Post by toddbecker » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:52 pm

If my account is configured to receive a dial tone from the hub, and not the landline, what could I expect by connecting both the wall and phone outlets of the hub to my house?

I just installed ooma this weekend and have just begun the porting process. When I have the phone outlet of the hub connected to the house, I get what seems to be a double dial tone, and one seems to be left off the hook. I wanted to attempt to disconnect the incoming phone signal from my landline provider, but the entry point to my house looks like a wire jungle.

For now, I have left the phone outlet disconnected from the house, unfortunately, that means that my Dish Network receiver won't pass through caller id to the screen on my TV anymore.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd

tommies

Post by tommies » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:20 pm

wnl wrote:According to the documentation, ooma uses HPNA (also known as "HomePNA") to communicate through the house wiring between base unit and the scout units. HPNA is compatible with voice and DSL, and can easily coexist with them on the same wire.

http://www.homepna.org/en/index.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homepna

Although you can certainly separate the two in houses that have both pairs full wired, there really is no need.
From my own experience, ooma's HPNA will cause interference on DSL signal, and vice versa. My ooma is configured with a land line, so the hub required a telco's dial tone on the wall port. I have to put a (dsl)filter to separate ooma's HPNA (plug into line 2 jack) from telco's DSL (on line 1 jack). This is done in the demarc box.
tommies

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:24 am

toddbecker wrote:If my account is configured to receive a dial tone from the hub, and not the landline, what could I expect by connecting both the wall and phone outlets of the hub to my house?

I just installed ooma this weekend and have just begun the porting process. When I have the phone outlet of the hub connected to the house, I get what seems to be a double dial tone, and one seems to be left off the hook. I wanted to attempt to disconnect the incoming phone signal from my landline provider, but the entry point to my house looks like a wire jungle.

For now, I have left the phone outlet disconnected from the house, unfortunately, that means that my Dish Network receiver won't pass through caller id to the screen on my TV anymore.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Todd
Todd,
I would suggest you find someone who can disconnect the landline if you do not have DSL. Even with a spider web it should be easy to figure out which wire comes out of the ground or from the phone company. Then you could put everything on your home wiring and get call ID on your TV...mine works great with this setup and cable internet service.
Scott

toddbecker

Post by toddbecker » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:11 pm

av8rdude wrote: Todd,
I would suggest you find someone who can disconnect the landline if you do not have DSL. Even with a spider web it should be easy to figure out which wire comes out of the ground or from the phone company. Then you could put everything on your home wiring and get call ID on your TV...mine works great with this setup and cable internet service.
Scott
It appears that over 35 years this house has had multiple providers run telco service into the house. I was unable to confidently decipher the spider web in my basement. After my port completed, everything in the house (Dish receivers, a wall mounted, corded phone) is working great.