wall Port connection and DSL interference

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
amigo
wall Port connection and DSL interference

Post by amigo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am

I think I have an ooma/DSL signal interference problem----I am using ATT DSL with landline on the same line.

My router is an integrated modem/router and I am setting up the ooma hub BEHIND the router (PPOE). I have picked up another number for ooma phone other than my existing home phone number.

I ran into a strange situation where my DSL will not sync if I use the ooma splitter and connect "Modem" port to the router AND "Wall" line to one splitter port (I leave the DSL splitter on and connect the other ooma splitter port, as instructed). The router will keep flashing until it gives up with error message "LCP error". I have to disconnect the "Wall" port before DSL will sync successfully.

my conclusion is that the wall port feeds the ooma signal back to the circuit and interferes with DSL signal.

As a result, I can never set up the scout since it needs the wall line signal.

Anybody has similar issue with ooma signal intefering with DSL signal?
what is the way out?

I am considering dropping my landline phone if I am satisfied with ooma.
now I have to put the desicion on hold since I am not sure if this issue can be resolved.
BTW, it is very difficult to get ooma customer support and I am counting on this forum for gettting the answers.
I really appreciate any help from fellow ooma users/technicians/admin...

southsound

Re: wall Port connection and DSL interference

Post by southsound » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:43 am

You can separate the DSL signal from your home wiring and your voice connection with a device called a DSL Splitter. I have been using a Wilcom PS-15 xDSL splitter with great success. The DSL Splitter is a different device than the ooma splitter or the microfilters supplied by the telco. In fact, although they have been around for quite a while and Wilcom is a common supplier to the telcos, my installer had never seen one and wanted me to use the microfilters. I had him put his test gear on the splitter and he was amazed. The splitter is still a passive device, but works where the microfilters will not. I knew I needed one because I had over 13 phone devices in our home. No all were phones - 2 ReplayTVs, fax machines, cordless phones, DishNetwork, etc. You can read about the device at the following link: http://www.wilcominc.com/item.cfm?ProdID=35

You just need to put the PS-15 before all the rest of the phone wiring - and when you do, you can hook up the scout as required. The leads that feed the telephones are completely free of DSL signal, but will pass the required signals for the Scout to work. In this application, you will NOT need any additional DSL microfilters or splitters. Click the following link to see how it is wired: http://www.wilcominc.com/product_pdfs/P ... ematic.pdf
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm

Southsound is correct. Although some day I will get one of those nice filters, I did the exact same thing using just the dsl/phone splitter that came with my original dsl setup. The object is to put the filter in the telco box and run the DSL only side to line one and the filtered phone to line 2. Scout was then hooked up to the filtered line 2. This took are of 100% of my dsl problems.

Wayne

amigo

Post by amigo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:28 pm

Wow, I really like this forum!
Thanks a lot for those quick responses, Southsound and Wayne. I've never heard about that specific splitter. It probably has built-in low- band- and high-filters.

Does that mean I need to use two lines for the setup? What if I only have 1 line? Do you mean the two signals have to be physically separated into two lines? My understanding is ooma frequency > DSL frequency > dialtone frequency and they should be able to coexist on a single medium.

Anyway, it seems most people do not have issues with the ooma splitter since I don't see many posts on the subject. I am wondering if I have faulty wiring.

tommies

Post by tommies » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 pm

read this thread
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=658
This means using line 1 and line 2 of your house's tel. wiring. (Mine has 3 pairs of wires->support up to 3 lines) It would be really odd if your house's wiring has only one twisted pair. The wall jack is another story, and you might need open them to check if new one is needed.
check this link as a reference for tel wiring or google them up yourself.
tommies

amigo

Post by amigo » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:08 am

Thanks all for the great help and I have had a great learning process in setting up my ooma in the past 3 weeks.
Here is my status report:

1. I have only one active line connected to telco when the technician checked on my wiring after I reported losing connection when they deactivated the landline and switched me to dry loop. Apparently they activated the wrong pair of wires;
2. I have to make do with the single connected pair and use the phone port to connect my ooma to any of the wall jack;
3. This would interrupt the DSL signal and I lost sync as it happened to me before when I fed the wall port to a jack: signal interference;
4. Instead, I connected the phone port downstream to previously-supplied DSL splitter "phone" jack before plugging the DSL splitter back to a phone jack--it didn't matter whether it's the duplex splitter thing (from ooma) or direct connection. Now everthing works together in perfect harmony--full up/down speed. So my point is to use the DSL splitter (since it's passive) to filter the residual HF component in the ooma dial tone off before feeding it back to the phone wiring. Apparently, it doesn;t bother the DSL signal any more;
5. I can use any of the wireless signal from the air to connect the ooma anywhere while I am traveling by using a wireless router in its client mode (either client bridging or non-bridging mode, doesn't matter as long as you wiress router support the client mode).

Conclusion, my one-line home get all ooma dialtone and no need for any scout and my ooma now is a (no-so) portable phone.
I really like ooma and hope this help other folks to maximize their ooma use.