After number port some received calls can't get through?

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
immortalwon
After number port some received calls can't get through?

Post by immortalwon » Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 am

A couple of months ago Ooma successfully ported my Vonage phone number. Prior to the number port I had Vonage set up to forward to my temporary Ooma number. Since the number port I have found that there are incoming phone numbers who can not get through to me. When they call they end up being dropped or told the number is disconnected. The incoming phone numbers have different area codes and are from different states. If I ask them to call me on their cell phones they get through without issue.

The only hint I could find in the forum was a mention about "switching station" problem during the number port. Does anyone know why some incoming calls will not get through while others do. I do not have any blocks related to caller ID and the callers in questions are not blocking their ID's. One of the callers are my parents and they are taking offense to the fact that they can not get through to us. One common factor between the three incoming numbers that can not get through is that they all are current Vonage users.

I have sent several email requests to Ooma support and it has been over a month without response.

buzzman

Re: After number port some received calls can't get through?

Post by buzzman » Fri May 15, 2009 11:49 am

If you had looked for the word "Vonage" in the forum, you would've learnt that Vonage needs to "release" your numbers from their database before anyone from Vonage can call you. I'm not a Vonage user, but that's what I read from this forum. So call Vonage to get this resolved.

Or better yet, tell your friends and family to join Ooma instead!

Good luck.

niknak

Post by niknak » Fri May 15, 2009 1:01 pm

I might be wrong, but if the number was ported then Vonage should have released it then

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri May 15, 2009 1:34 pm

niknak wrote:I might be wrong, but if the number was ported then Vonage should have released it then
They typically remove the number from their database several business days after the port completes. Sometimes they don't on the misguided assumption that they can get you to come back. In that case you have to call Vonage support and request that they delete the number from their database.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

trim81

Post by trim81 » Fri May 15, 2009 1:43 pm

call vonage and tell them to remove your # form their database

immortalwon

Post by immortalwon » Fri May 15, 2009 5:24 pm

buzzman wrote:If you had looked for the word "Vonage" in the forum, you would've learnt that Vonage needs to "release" your numbers from their database before anyone from Vonage can call you. I'm not a Vonage user, but that's what I read from this forum. So call Vonage to get this resolved.

Or better yet, tell your friends and family to join Ooma instead!

Good luck.
The first thing I did when I was having a problem was email Vonage...This is what they told me:

"as per our records, your account was disconnected on March 20, 2009. Please understand that once the account is disconnected, all the features on your account will be disabled."

Funny comment about the friends and family as they are not likely to switch from Vonage to Ooma when they can't call me. Thanks everyone for the comments. Apparently I need to call Vonage and be more specific about their database.