I give up on Cable Internet with OOMA

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
dueport
Re: I give up on Cable Internet with OOMA

Post by dueport » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:21 am

I think you're on to something re: time warner - they are really bad for me too and did the same thing with me: they said my line was fine and gave me new modem but problems continue. Very high jitter as well. May switch to DSL at our new house.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:06 am

dueport wrote:I think you're on to something re: time warner - they are really bad for me too and did the same thing with me: they said my line was fine and gave me new modem but problems continue. Very high jitter as well. May switch to DSL at our new house.
It makes a lot of sense. DSL traffic goes over telephone networks.

The bandwidth for one Ooma line is like 48kbps each direction. That's nothing, even for the slowest DSL.

I'm not pushing DSL, but a couple of weeks ago I asked all of my family and friends to run the http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html test and it was 100% consistent that DSL produced higher QoS.

What would really rock is if Ooma produced a similar web based test at each location they run their servers. The test is tailored specifically for how Ooma works. Probably too much to ask, but it would really help potential customers gain confidence the product will work for their situation.

Scott

butch588

Post by butch588 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Sadly, a lot depends on "the last mile". I have heard horror stories about both cable and DSL. Unfortunately, you usually have to guess which ISP is going to provide the better pipe for you. I have cable in my area (Charter) and my service is solid. Here are my VOIP test results for anyone interested:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4811360 bps
Upload speed: 490968 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 49 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 34 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 69 ms
Average round trip time to server: 70 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4811360bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 7598256bps

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:30 am

Generally, depending on your location (residential v business area) there can be huge swings in server response times.

The response times seem to be quite long and that could be a factor attributing to the echo.

And Butch hit it right on the head, its that last mile that determines how well you communicate to the tier 2 provider.

Have you adjusted any other settings in your router MTU connection types etc?

Try this tool from DSLreports and it can help improve your connections and may solve your problems.

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Your looking for a quality data stream up and down, gamers usually notice these things when they encounter lags or latency issues.

the whichvoip test is a good easy tool (and reliable) to measure your connection. But the configuration of how you router/modem communicate has to be solved through numerous resources because so much hardware and software is involved.

Cable techs measure one thing - Signal to noise ratio: S/N

number9

Post by number9 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18 am

Johnny,
I have U-Verse and have No Problems with ooma ! Call quality is great.
Plays PRS guitars

whn

Post by whn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Time Warner Cable with OOMA completely sucks

I tell everyone at Best Buy to be careful when I see them around the display.

I have called OOMA 5x to get this solved and nothing works, they keep telling me to fix the QoS

I do and its still cuts my voice on every call.

I have stopped recommending people to OOMA completely and now making it a point to warn them when Im at Best Buy.

THis is completely irritating, what do I have to do to make this work, get a 3T line?

Gimme a break OOMA.

whn

Post by whn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Download speed 0.47 MB/S

CABLE MODEM --> OOMA ---> ROUTER

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 9.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 1.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2488688 bps
Upload speed: 484544 bps
Download quality of service: 66 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 118 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 27 ms
Average round trip time to server: 46 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 30400000bps
Route concurrency: 12.215272
Download TCP forced idle: 63 %
Maximum route speed: 19417776bps

jmassimilla

Post by jmassimilla » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 am

Your stats are not very impressive. It looks like more of an internet problem than Ooma. Maybe you should contact your ISP and try to get a new modem? Also, if it's cable, you should have your cable line checked.
Customer since Feb 2009
2 Hub/Scout
1 Telo/Handset
Lifetime Premier Subscriber

niknak

Post by niknak » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:16 am

With cable, even though you may have high speed, you are sharing available bandwidth with everyone else in your neighborhood (up to 254 others). Your speed / performance varies if others in the neighborhood are all on line at the same time doing various bandwith intensive tasks

Try making some test calls very early in the morning - 3 or 4 AM when there is less expectation of many others being awake and see if your call quality improves

Your download QOS =66% that is your problem!
Last edited by niknak on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyrod

Post by johnnyrod » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi, All. Sorry for the delayed reply. Between work, family, a sore throat, and resolving network issues it took some time to get everything working.

I switched to uverse a few days ago. First off, the ooma worked. HOWEVER, I was unable to make any changes to the QoS even after hooking up through the home port. A great customer service helped me reset my OOMA to factory settings and upgraded the firmware. Then, I was able to adjust my QoS. My guess is it's something with the ATT RG from Uverse, but I had to reset the settings on the OOMA.

Now, the setup is Residential Gateway( modem/router/TV/all in one thingamabob ) -> OOMA in one of the 4 ethernet ports.

I did several tests and with the Elite ATT service I am getting 5.8M down/0.94 up speeds. So I set my QoS at 0.8 up and 0.00 down.

Right away, I noticed a difference. NO MORE ECHO. No more garbled speech. No more dropped calls. One thing it DID NOT FIX is the INTERNATIONAL CALLS. It still took several attempts to get a call through to Singapore. Although, my brother-in-law told me the sound was much clearer than before.

So, the OOMA is DEFINITELY performing better with ATT Uverse than it was with Time Warner cable. When I disconneced Time Warner they kept telling me about their "more advanced fiber optic network" and "att is enforcing bandwidth caps", but I took that all with a grain of salt and told them to cancel my service anyway.

Now, I did notice if I am recording with the DVR and watching TV on Uverse the OOMA does garble just a tiny bit. Nothing terrible, though.

Setting up Uverse wasn't terrible. They just piggybacked it on my cable jacks. The RG didn't like my laptop wireless card, but an external card fixed that problem and now I have to admit the internet is faster than before even though cable touted faster bandwidth than what I have with ATT right now.

I may upgrade to the "MAX" internet later on so I can record several HD shows at the same time, browse the web, and talk on the OOMA at the same time. But for now with the Elite speed it works great.

My *New* VOIP Test:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------