Call Quality Slidder

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
Timothy
Re: Call Quality Slidder

Post by Timothy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:48 am

This is basically the reason I started this thread is the hope of having the option to provide additional bandwidth to help out on the clarity of the calls. With the setting of 40-50kbs on Vonage is the exact quality I'm experiencing here on Oooma (on the receiver end of hub and scout). Not sure this is causing the static issue on the Scout but from what Posters are saying we have FIOS users with perfect connection having the same problem. Could this be an inherit issue of the hardware too?

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:36 am

I think you're right ... we need to have an option to increase call bandwith, especially when we have large available bandwith to use. There's no reason why to I should limit my calls to 40-50 kbps when I have an excellent FiOS connection available to me.

The additional scout statis may be due to our setup or just that the data signals degrade the quality just a bit more, but an option to up the overall bandwith would certainly help.

Timothy - do you remember what the default was on Vonage? Did you start a post in the feature request section?

I'm surprised that none of the moderators have given their opinion of the issue, or possible features to allow us to increase call bandwith.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:43 am

Vonage has 3 settings.
30 Kbps
50 Kbps
90 Kbps

I have no idea what the default was but the first time that I saw it I set it to 90 Kbps and left it there.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:58 am

Murphy ... that sounds familiar ... I bet I did the same thing ... it's been about 3 years since hooked up Vonage, so I can't completely remember.

Timothy ... did you get to try connecting your scout to the hub with a dedicated phone cord? Curious on if that cut the extra scout crackle for you.

I've moved my main cordless system to run from the hub (with my fax), and the quality is better, not nearly the problems that I had with the scout. So now I've got the scout hooked to an "emergency" 2nd line, which I probably won't use that much. It's a bummer because I really wanted to set up my 2nd number (since I have Ooma Premiere) to a "fax number" ... but it looks like the ooma hub is my only option now for a good quality call.
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 am

Murphy - Thanks for providing the Vonage kbps settings. As you can see the Kbps are signifcantly higher on Vonage resulting in a much higher quality. I know for fact the 30kbs from 90kbps were night and day. The 30 sounds identical to what I'm hearing the receiver end.

mthomtech - I didn't have time yet to mess with wiring settings. I think this is going to be a weekend project. I do agree the hub does sound better because there is no crackling sound but the overall quality on the receiver end on the scout and hub on the reciever end is that of cell phone quality sound.

ram104

Post by ram104 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Listen to this guys I e-mailed oomas customer service over 7 days ago about this problem. I was very detailed with the problem and there answer was to adjust QoS. Usless............
I give-up. I know for a fact oomas staff reads all the forums and they just don't want to get involved so they just play stupid.

ommadude

Post by ommadude » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Just got a call from my ooma scout. The call was very scratchy. I will plug in to the ooma hub tonight and see if there is any difference.

By the sound of this tread there is an obvious issue. I do not think it is QoS related as my upstream is 768kbs up link.

Hope the mods. will chime in with a fix!

ram104

Post by ram104 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:24 pm

We can only hope.

dlong

Post by dlong » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Have any of you tried changing the MAC number in either the ooma or your router? Changing the MAC number willo give you a new IP Address and a new node route. Then you may avoid the weak IP routing link. The poor quality issue is linked to latency, packet loss, and packet delay.

Mojo
Ooma Moderator

Post by Mojo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:07 pm

murphy wrote:Vonage has 3 settings.
30 Kbps
50 Kbps
90 Kbps

I have no idea what the default was but the first time that I saw it I set it to 90 Kbps and left it there.
By default ooma uses 30 Kbps for each voice call.

When you dial "*99" before a call, ooma will use approx. 90 Kbps of traffic. The reason why we recommend dialing "*99" before a fax call is because it'll send the voice call uncompressed, which greatly increases the chance of faxing success.

Right now when you enable QoS, ooma reserves approx. 100 Kbps of traffic. If you do the math, this is enough bandwidth for 2 simultaneous voice calls but not a simultaneous one voice call and one fax call. Because of this, we'll be changing the reserved QoS to be approx 130 Kbps by default. At the same time, we'll be releasing a QoS knob to control the reserved bandwidth (I believe the available options will be 40,70,130 [default],160,185,215 [Kbps]). I think this will be released sometime this month or in early April along with Blacklisting/Multi-Ring for landline ooma systems.