Call Quality Slidder

This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
mthomtech
Re: Call Quality Slidder

Post by mthomtech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Sounds like we have exactly the same setup ... everything to the wiring closet with only the bedroom and office "active". Do you also have both the "wall" and "phone" signals going out to all? Maybe we've hit on something.

Did another test with a corded phone ... scout = crackle, hub = clear.

Definitely let me know if you wire a separate pair to the scout directly from the hub. You could also just plug the scout into the hub, and see if that helps it. If that works, then we'd know a clear 2nd line is possible (even if we don't need it yet).

Thanks!
Ooma Customer since March 2009
Ooma Hardware: Hub/Scout(2) and Telo
Premier Member

ram104

Post by ram104 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:43 pm

It dosen't matter if my phone is plugged into the hub or scout I get the same phone quality.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:54 pm

That's not good, ram102. I can definitely hear a difference between my hub and scout. How is your phone wiring setup?

I wonder if the call bandwith set is just too close to the "breaking point" and for Timothy and I, the scout (and the data communication with it) push it over the edge. It seems the hub quality is still subpar for Timothy, just not as bad as the scout. Mine is pretty clear from the hub (as good as my vonage was), but the scout is definitely low quality.

The other thought I had was how long the phone wiring is ... I wonder if that has any impact.

Regardless, Timothy's feature request for a call quality adjustment is definitely a good one ... I bet just a little tweak could do the trick. The QoS is nice to have for prioritization, but not our issue given the big bandwiths we have.

Do you hear any difference at all between your hub and scout?
Premier Member

ram104

Post by ram104 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Well,
I know that I have new phone wire from where the hub is to where the scout is. The distance is about 15 feet from where the hub is to where the scout is. I only have the 1 phone number issued from ooma with no landline phone service. Like I said my end is very clear and if I go to my parents house that have verizon landline and I call my ooma device I can here a slight crackle just in there voice, but when there's silece the connection is clear.
The reason I bring it up was I hoped that this was an easy fix.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:15 pm

That's exactly how I would describe the issue too ... crackles only when speaking ... no static or anything when there is silence.

There's got to be an explanation. Will any of the moderators chime in???

You'd think there would be a setting in the router to set the bandwith. I read that it defaults to about 100 kbps for voice.

So, if you've got a dedicated line from the "wall" port on your hub to the "wall" port on your scout?
Premier Member

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:39 pm

Just for reference I measured mine at 48 kbits on a call, up and down.

Wayne

dlong

Post by dlong » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:46 pm

I thought voip clicking (distortion) is caused by network packet loss or packet delay (2% or more) caused by poor or overloaded IP connection.

ram104

Post by ram104 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:49 pm

I have the hub plugged directly into the modem than the phone jack into the wall jack. Than the scout is plugged from the wall jack to the scout and my cordless phone to the scount. Just for the record I have tried different cordless phones and corded phones with no difference.

mthomtech

Post by mthomtech » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Yes, I've tried numerous corded and cordless phones too ... definitely not phone related. So, in your current setup, you don't have a phone (or anything) plugged into the hub's phone port? Just hub's "wall" port to the wall and then from the wall to the scout?

If that's the case, the problem's probably not having the hub phone and wall ports going to the house wiring, like I have.

dlong - it doesn't seem like it's overloaded connection ... all of us have big bandwith and the QoS settings don't change anything.

Wayne - how did you test your kbps? 48 seems low, but I've never tested.
Premier Member

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:58 pm

I did a few speed tests with no internet activity, then a few while on a phone call. The speed difference on upload was around 48k.

Since then, I upgraded my Linksys firmware with Tomato operating system which can measure bandwidth. While on a call, both upload and download speed are under 50 k, no spikes, almost flat across. (uses a line graph)

Wayne