How to set the dialing prefix on DirecTV HD DVR HR20 HR21

Having trouble placing or receiving calls or using your voicemail system on Ooma Telo VoIP Phones? Post your questions here.
thively
How to set the dialing prefix on DirecTV HD DVR HR20 HR21

Post by thively » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Hey folks,

After my port completed and my AT&T POTS line went dead, I transitioned my house phone wiring to run off the hub's phone jack. So everything goes through the hub (not using scouts.)

As a result, all of my DirecTV DVRs (4 of them) now start dialing out through Ooma (they were dialing out through POTS before.)

In the outgoing call logs I noticed repeated attempts to dial the same 800 number which is answered by a modem. I put 2+2 together and figured out my DirecTV boxes are trying to connect to the modem and probably failing. So they just keep trying over and over again.

DirecTV says you don't need to connect these to the phone. You can order Pay Per View through the web or phone calls instead. However, I'd rather be able to do that through the receiver. Not to mention I want to use the on screen caller ID without the box dialing DirecTV ever hour and failing.

I figured if I could add *99, to the dialing prefix it would likely help just as it does for Faxes. But the HD-DVR HR20 and HR21 do not have a phone settings menu.

After much searching, I found out how to access the hidden menu for dialing properties. Even DirecTV customer service doesn't seem to know this.

On the front of the receiver, press the "RIGHT ARROW" and "ACTION" at the same time (not on the remote, do this on the front panel of the DVR.)
This brings up a hidden phone settings menu where you can enter: *99,
as a dialing prefix.

As soon as I did this, the DVRs stopped re-trying their calls every hour. So it appears to have worked.

I hadn't seen this information posted anywhere here yet. If it has, I missed it. It took me a while to find the answer so I wanted to post on here and share.

bc3tech

Re: How to set the dialing prefix on DirecTV HD DVR HR20 HR21

Post by bc3tech » Tue May 19, 2009 7:50 am

this should be a sticky.

Also i'm sure users have figured it out but, on the HR22 at least, it's Right Arrow + ACTIVE
There is no "ACTION" button. Not sure if there is on the 20/21.

tegelad

Post by tegelad » Tue May 03, 2011 11:10 am

Wow ... this is an awesome tip! .... You must be a DBS talker :)

Thanks for the advice!

+-ADT

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 am

thively wrote:After much searching, I found out how to access the hidden menu for dialing properties. Even DirecTV customer service doesn't seem to know this.
Gosh, just like Ooma customer service!

delboy

Post by delboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Just tried this and it seems to work!! The modem test on the phone setup screen showed "OK"
And the system test showed no phone error like it had been doing.
Now to wait for tomorrow's call to see if it goes through.
And then order something PPV as a final check!!!

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:52 am

Nice tip. Thanks.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5