Using Handset only to access voicemail - not using the hub

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
DoubleTap
Using Handset only to access voicemail - not using the hub

Post by DoubleTap » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Hello. I am using a set of 4 Panasonic wireless handsets with Ooma. The problem for me is that my broadband/cable service comes into my basement and I have no rj11 "phone" wiring at the same drop. So the Ooma hub sits in my basement next to the cable modem and Panasonic base station. The other 3 cordless phones are spread throughout the first and second floors. Since my phone support voicemail, I get a flashing indicator on the phones when I have a voicemail. This is working fine.

The problem is, I cannot seem to find a reference guide as to the number sequences to use when using a handset only to check and administer voicemail. I'll check a message and then want to save it as new, or archive it, or delete it, and most of the time it doesn't prompt me. Is there a reference guide out there some where for the voice mail through handset only? I suppose this would also be handy for most people when checking messages remotely from a mobile phone, not through the lounge.

mspsp

Re: Using Handset only to access voicemail - not using the hub

Post by mspsp » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 am

Hi DoubleTap,

I assume that you have "initialized" (set greeting and stuff) your voice mail box. Once you do that you are ready to use it any way you want it. From your cordless phone just dial your own number and you can hear the messages. You dont even need a pin to check your messages from your ooma phone. You can also check messages remotely. Just dial your ooma phone number from any other phone, when the answerer picks up, press "*" key and then follow the instructions.

I hope this helps.
Thanks.

Tony
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tony » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 am

Hi DoubleTap.

As mspsp mentions:
- from your home phone, you dial the 7-digit or 11-digit phone number associated to your shared or personal account to access the voicemail,
- from an external phone, you dial the associated phone number, once you hear the greeting prompt, press *, your PIN code, then #,

from there the voicemail tree access is the same as follows:

- if auto-play is turned on, the new voice messages and associated time stamps (a.k.a. envelopes) are automatically played one after another without any key press, once all new voice messages have been played, the main menu options are presented, if there are no new voice messages, the main menu options are presented,

- if auto-play is turned off, the main menu options are presented.

Below is a list of detailed key presses for menu navigation:

Code: Select all

-------

When a new voice message is being played, press:
'1' to skip back 5 sec within the message,
'2' to pause/resume message playback, or if paused it resumes playback automatically after a few seconds,
'3' to skip forward 5 sec within the message,
'4', play previous message,
'5', play current message from the beginning,
'6', play next message,
'7', delete current message,
'8', more message options (play message envelope, reply if caller is also an ooma subscriber),
'9', mark current message as saved and play next message
'0'. help, says the menu options

Note that with auto-play option turned on, once a new message has been played in its entirety, it is automatically marked as saved (no more marked as new),
with auto-play option turned off, you need to press '9' to mark the current message as saved (no more new),

When a saved voice message is being played, press:
'1' to skip back 5 sec within the message,
'2' to pause/resume message playback, or if paused it resumes playback automatically after a few seconds,
'3' to skip forward 5 sec within the message,
'6', play next message,
'8', more message options (play message envelope, reply if caller is also an ooma subscriber),
'9', mark current message as new and play next message

When a new voice message envelope (time stamp) is being played, press:
'5', play again current message,
'6', play next message,
'8', more message options (reply if caller is also an ooma subscriber),
'9', mark current message as saved and play next message

When a saved voice message is being played, press:
'6', play next message,
'8', more message options (reply if caller is also an ooma subscriber),
'9', mark current message as new and play next message

------

From any menu, press * to go the upper level menu or it exits voicemail if on the main menu.

------

Main menu options:

'1', get messages
	'1', get new messages (if there are new messages)
	'2'. get saved messages (if there are saved messages)
'2', change settings
	'1', change PIN,
	'2', change personal greeting,
	'3', change your name,
	'4', change type of greeting,
		'1', use personal greeting,
		'2' use system generated greeting with your phone number,
		'3' use system generated greeting with your name,
		'4' use system generated greeting without your name or phone number,
	'5', change auto-play option for new messages,
'8', more options
	'1', record a voice message to another ooma subscriber without making an actual call
I hope this helps DoubleTap. We will post a Quick Reference Guide on the web site. Thanks for your comments.

DoubleTap

Post by DoubleTap » Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Thank You! The quick reference guide was just what I was looking for. I have found that you don't always get the prompts. For instance, if you are listening to a VM, and you reach the end, it goes right to the next one. Even with Autoplay turned off. The onlyway I could get the options was go back and review old messages and once I listened to the message again, it gave me the options to use.

Once again, thanks!

SuzyD123

Post by SuzyD123 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:58 pm

I put on "do not disturb" on line 2 (Ooma Premier, second number), now when I want to access options or change voicemail greeting I can't do it because it goes right into my outgoing message. I am flying out of town 2000 miles in the morning, so I won't have access to hub. I don't know if I ever set up a "PIN" and if I did, I do not know what it is....

Tom
Ooma Moderator

Post by Tom » Thu May 19, 2016 7:46 am

I set your remote access pin to the reverse of the last 4 digits of your main phonenumber. When the greeting starts immediately press * and wait to be prompted for the pin. You may need to press * more than once but do so before the record beep.

Your line 2 is not really on "do not disturb". See viewtopic.php?t=20124.