Now Available "Call forward on Internet Outage"

Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
Clifftr
Now Available "Call forward on Internet Outage"

Post by Clifftr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:56 am

"ooma Lounge

a.The "Call forward on Internet Outage" option is now available (the Preferences->Calling Help is to be updated soon). Normally it takes about 90 seconds to detect an Internet outage before Call Forwarding kicks in. The "Press 1 to accept this call" message is NOT played in the forwarded call."

AT LAST! . . . however; "Call forward on Internet Outage" MUST BE as part of the ooma core features, and NOT a feature that only available to ooma Premier users!!!
And in order for this to be of any use to us, it MUST BE made available separate from "Mulit-Ring" or "Call Forward All"

Yes it's only available to premier users, at least until ooma hears from enough of us . . .
Last edited by Clifftr on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

bw1

Re: Now Available "Call forward on Internet Outage"

Post by bw1 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:18 am

I was wondering about that. I assume that you do not have premier and cannot select it. Is that correct?

I agree on this one, it should be part of core and should be separate.

If it's true that it is a premier only option, I wonder if that's because of potential to use it in place of call forwarding?

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:23 am

+1
Go AVS!

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:31 am

bw1 wrote: If it's true that it is a premier only option, I wonder if that's because of potential to use it in place of call forwarding?
Likely true, anytime you wanted it for call forwarding (like away from home) you would simply unplug your hub.

southsound

Post by southsound » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:37 am

Groundhound wrote:
bw1 wrote: If it's true that it is a premier only option, I wonder if that's because of potential to use it in place of call forwarding?
Likely true, anytime you wanted it for call forwarding (like away from home) you would simply unplug your hub.
I cannot imagine that anyone would go through all the trouble to unplug their hub each time they left the house just to save $99 a year. It just would not be worth it on even the tightest budget.

Rich B - if this is ooma's reasoning, please rethink it. This needs to be a core feature. ooma's exposure to abuse is so slight compared to the good will and security it will provide.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

MWPollard

Post by MWPollard » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:35 pm

This is such a core functionality issue, just like redirecting outbound calls to an attached landline on Internet failure, that it should not be subscription-only. This is a major selling point for anyone who isn't secure with an Internet-only service. (Or for someone who uses Internet over cable - and has the Internet out all the time...)

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm

I agree and have already stated that it should be a core feature.

And I've already pointed out how it could be used in place of call forward/multi-ring which is a premier feature.

However, in addition to that, perhaps Ooma wants to keep it as a premier feature to (obviously) increase the percentage of users subscribing to premier and figuring that if you're using your Ooma system as a landline replacement, you should expect to pay for the subscription. And core users should be using the Ooma system as a supplement to their existing landline and therefore wouldn't need to call forward on an internet outage, since call forward would be needed to answer calls on the landline while their internet is out.