taxes and surcharges if I drop landline?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hoj
taxes and surcharges if I drop landline?

Post by hoj » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:35 am

I bought ooma with intentions of porting my landline number and dropping that service. It turns out ooma can't port my number. I decided to keep my landline so I could keep my number. When I changed that line to basic service the cost is more than I expected (about $18/month). Apparently about $10 of that must be for taxes, surcharges, 911 fee.

I am considering dropping the landline, but would I have any of these charges by ooma? As of now I have the service and am not expecting those charges from ooma, but will there be those charges when I drop the landline? Also, if I take the premier for the $99 per year, how much taxes or other charges would I expect on that?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: taxes and surcharges if I drop landline?

Post by Bobby B » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:24 am

Hi hoj,

There would be no extra service charges, taxes or fees if you decided to use ooma core without a landline. Most customers choose to use a landline for backup purposes in case there is an electrical or Internet outage.

If you choose to subscribe to ooma Premier, you'll only be charged sales tax if you live in California, otherwise there would be no extra taxes/charges.

Hope that helps!

-Bobby
hoj wrote:I bought ooma with intentions of porting my landline number and dropping that service. It turns out ooma can't port my number. I decided to keep my landline so I could keep my number. When I changed that line to basic service the cost is more than I expected (about $18/month). Apparently about $10 of that must be for taxes, surcharges, 911 fee.

I am considering dropping the landline, but would I have any of these charges by ooma? As of now I have the service and am not expecting those charges from ooma, but will there be those charges when I drop the landline? Also, if I take the premier for the $99 per year, how much taxes or other charges would I expect on that?
Bobby B

hoj

Post by hoj » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 am

Yes, that helps. I have cell phones, so I'm not that concerned about the landline for backup. But it would be nice to have the call forwarding to them if no answer because the system is down. I understand that is coming soon. I think I would rather get the premier than spend the money on the landline. I just wish I could port my number, but they say they can't.

Don
Bobby B wrote:Hi hoj,

There would be no extra service charges, taxes or fees if you decided to use ooma core without a landline. Most customers choose to use a landline for backup purposes in case there is an electrical or Internet outage.

If you choose to subscribe to ooma Premier, you'll only be charged sales tax if you live in California, otherwise there would be no extra taxes/charges.

Hope that helps!

-Bobby
hoj wrote:I bought ooma with intentions of porting my landline number and dropping that service. It turns out ooma can't port my number. I decided to keep my landline so I could keep my number. When I changed that line to basic service the cost is more than I expected (about $18/month). Apparently about $10 of that must be for taxes, surcharges, 911 fee.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:31 pm

hoj wrote:Yes, that helps. I have cell phones, so I'm not that concerned about the landline for backup. But it would be nice to have the call forwarding to them if no answer because the system is down. I understand that is coming soon. I think I would rather get the premier than spend the money on the landline. I just wish I could port my number, but they say they can't.

Don
Bobby B wrote:Hi hoj,

Hope that helps!

-Bobby

What was the reason for the non-okayed port?

You can try to port your number to a T-Mobile prepaid, then porting it into ooma. (same goes for porting to Comcast, and then to ooma)

OR if you want a free option for 2 months, I would suggest here:

http://www.phonenumberbank.com/

(basically if I recall correctly, port your number into an area where the CLEC has your exchange number, and where Ooma (XO Communications) has one too...

-When you are good on that end, your numer is able to be ported.

---Which company are you company from?

hoj

Post by hoj » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:15 pm

trim81 wrote: What was the reason for the non-okayed port?

You can try to port your number to a T-Mobile prepaid, then porting it into ooma. (same goes for porting to Comcast, and then to ooma)

(basically if I recall correctly, port your number into an area where the CLEC has your exchange number, and where Ooma (XO Communications) has one too...

My number was with Verizon in 570 area code. ooma said they can't port my number from this area. I really don't know if it is the area that is a problem, or whether they don't have the relationship with Verizon to do it.

I don't think I want to go through porting to another company just so I can port it again, even if that would work. I think I have accepted the idea of giving up my number. But thanks for the ideas.

Don

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:21 pm

hoj wrote:

My number was with Verizon in 570 area code. ooma said they can't port my number from this area. I really don't know if it is the area that is a problem, or whether they don't have the relationship with Verizon to do it.

I don't think I want to go through porting to another company just so I can port it again, even if that would work. I think I have accepted the idea of giving up my number. But thanks for the ideas.

Don

Cool- Whatever works for you. I for one cannot give up my 20+ year number, heh

hoj

Post by hoj » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:45 pm

trim81 wrote:
hoj wrote:

Don

Cool- Whatever works for you. I for one cannot give up my 20+ year number, heh
I had my number for over 20 years too. I just tried phonenumberbank.com. My number isn't available for them either. I would be surprised if a cell phone company could do it either.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:53 pm

hoj

Post by hoj » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:08 pm

trim81 wrote:how about this?

http://www.t-mobile.com/switch/
Their site said they can port it. Since they could I decided to check out ATT wireless, since I have my cell phones with them, and they say that they can port it. But in reading their Q&A's they say that in order for the number to be eligible for port, ATT wireless needs to have a license for the area. If that is the case, I'm not so sure if ooma would be able to port it from the cell company. Maybe ooma's problem is not having a license that covers my number.

I decided to sit on my landline for a while, but outside of ooma. I wired it so that only one phone is on the landline, isolating it from the rest of the wiring. Since I cut the services back to basic, I will only use it for incoming calls. As I get calls on it, I'll make sure they have my new ooma number for the future (unless I don't want them to have it, i.e. salesmen). After a while it shouldn't ring much and then I may cancel it.

trim81

Post by trim81 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:05 pm

To each his own- but for me, a 20+ year number is hard to pass on.

Heres what you should do... (what I would do)

Go to walmart. Buy yourself an ATT Go Phone (prepaid) or T-Mobile prepaid phone... it only costs like $10-$15

Go home, call ATT or T-Mobile and port the number over.

After that, initiate the port with Ooma.

--It will only cost you $15 bucks or so...and its worth a shot saving a long time number.

This is my humble opinion however.