How to disable the Wifi Receiver in the Telo base unit?

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
jokou
How to disable the Wifi Receiver in the Telo base unit?

Post by jokou » Thu May 09, 2024 7:08 pm

Hello,
I switched to a VoiP service (Ooma) because I am ridding my house of all wireless technology. I thought the Ooma Telo base unit for basic service would be an easy solution, however I am finding that this base unit has a wifi receiver in it. My unit is constantly looking for wifi networks to join, and thus sending out super strong RF pulses. I tried customer service who directed me to the base unit's IP address, 172.27.35.1 which does reveal that it is indeed wifi capable, but offers no way to turn this receiver off. Does anyone know of a way to turn off the wifi receiver? I would be open to switching the unit for an older one that does not have wifi functionality, if those are available somewhere.
Thank you.

Robek

Re: How to disable the Wifi Receiver in the Telo base unit?

Post by Robek » Sun May 12, 2024 3:35 pm

The Telo base station does not have Wi-Fi built-in; its setup 'Wireless' menu should report "No wireless adapter detected", (unless the Telo has an external wireless adapter plugged into its USB port). The Telo Air base station does have Wi-Fi built-in, (eliminating the need for a separate adapter).

If the Telo Air 'Wireless' setup menu doesn't have an option to turn off the Wi-Fi, then in the 'Advanced' menu, under 'Advanced network interface settings', try clicking 'Configure Network interface priorities', to reorder the priorities, so that "Wired" is first, and "Wifi" is last; this may cause the Telo Air to reboot.

Presumably, if the Telo Air has already established a higher-priority "Wired" connection, then it shouldn't try any of the other lower-priority ones. However, if that doesn't work, then the next step may be just to exchange the Telo Air for a regular Telo.