can't surf while on ooma

Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
hamebone
can't surf while on ooma

Post by hamebone » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm

I can not surf the internet while I'm on the the phone, my set is cable modem (comcast) router(belkin wireless) then I have ooma connected to my router and my pc also connected to my router. Everything works well except when I receive a phone phone call, and try and talk and surf at the same time. I'll get a message :internet explorer cannot desplay the webpage, and once I hang up I'm back up surfing. Need help thanks

murphy

Re: can't surf while on ooma

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:54 am

Does your router have QOS?
If it does, set it up so ooma doesn't take all of the bandwidth.
If it doesn't, put ooma in front of the router and set up ooma's QOS so ooma doesn't take all of the bandwidth.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

hamebone

Post by hamebone » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:31 am

thanks, murphy for the reply, my doesn't have QoS, if I put my ooma in front of the router does it have to stay there because my router is my basement.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:59 am

Yes.

Order this:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-detail ... uctID=6407

They allow you to split your current LAN cable into two LAN cables using the unused wires in the cable.

Use one connection to bring the signal from the modem (cable/DSL) in the basement to the modem port of the ooma upstairs.

Use the other connection to take Home port of the ooma back to the basement to feed the routers WAN/Internet port.

hamebone

Post by hamebone » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:11 am

thanks, again murphy some good info, can you now explain the setting for the ooma QoS so I can configure. Again thanks for the help.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:26 am

Go to the ooma knowledgebase under support and read the description there. It is very well explained.

av8rdude

Post by av8rdude » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Now that is COOL! I can imagine a lot of uses for this splitter....

Thanks,
Scott

oomg

Post by oomg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:37 am

Just posted this in response to another topic, but it seems that it might be applicable here as well.

FWIW, I had a similar problem... significant slow down of my internet speed. I have AT&T DSL (highest speed available) and D-Link router with 4 out ports. I had installed as instructed in the manual, and ooma seemed to work well, but my speed as well as the speed of the others on the wireless connection suffered.

I tried the following: connected one router port to computer via ethernet cable; connected a second router port to the "modem" port on the Hub via separate ethernet cable (nothng connected to ooma "home" port); phone unit connected to the "phone" plug; and the "wall" plug connected directly to the Scout with a separate phone connected behind the Scout.

Result: ooma phones (at Hub and Scout) work exactly like they are supposed to work and my internet speed increased approximately tenfold (yes... you read that correctly... wireless users increased approximately 5x).

My home number is scheduled to port in a week or so. Then I will connect the remainder of the Scouts that I have planned for the system. Right now, I see no reason why it should not work, but I will report once completed.

As a side note, for business reasons, I also have a T-Mobile @home service (two lines) connected for use in my home office. It has a separate ethernet cable from the router to the unit. That system is working flawlessly as well.

Given my limited knowledge, I see no reason why the same wiring could not be applied to a cable based service through a multiport router.

oomg
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:37 am

This is also my setup (except router brand) and it works as well as my landline did.

Wayne

oomg

Post by oomg » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:21 am

WayneDsr wrote:This is also my setup (except router brand) and it works as well as my landline did.

Wayne
My ooma seems to have a bit of a hollow sound (not quite an echo, and a bit hard to describe... hollow is the best I can come up with) which may actually be due to the phone unit (need to test others)... [Edit: it was the phone unit... now fixed]. T-Mobile @home VOIP is near perfect with occasional buzzing (usually resolved by moving the phone unit slightly). Both are better than my land line in terms of overall quality.

I was a bit hesitant to wire the Hub from the router to the modem port because that seemed to be reverse of what the manual was instructing. Then i figuered... there was nothing that said DO NOT wire it that way... what could possibly go wrong... and it's covered under the warranty... so why not.

We may have actually stumbled upon a better wiring configuration. BTW, although I don't recall reading about your specific wiring... I had read about others who had similar problems (tommies and ??) with diminished internet speed. The internet speed test offered on the speedtest.net site convinced me that I had to try something else.

oomg
Last edited by oomg on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.