A number/porting question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
pongo
A number/porting question

Post by pongo » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:32 am

I'm another callvantage refugee and new ooma user, slowly getting used to the way ooma works.

Here's my question: we now have two callvantage lines and want to port one of them. We have two ooma "lines" and want to keep the one that's now assigned to the hub (i.e. not the instant second line) and end up with that hub one as the one assigned to the scout as a non-shared line.

I've seen posts that say that in this situation the porting of the callvantage number will automatically kick what is now the hub line over to the scout, and the old instant second line will disappear. If true, this does the trick, but before I start giving out the number to people I wanted to get a better handle on whether this is true and, if not, how to set it up so that the current hub number stays with our ooma system after the port. And the current second line number can disappear, no problem.

So, does it always work like that or should I take some other approach? Thanks for any and all help with this.

tommies

Re: A number/porting question

Post by tommies » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:02 pm

It depends on the choice you made when you activated the ooma. However, when you do the porting paper, notify ooma of your request of which number to be kept.
tommies

pongo

Re: A number/porting question

Post by pongo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for your reply - and to report back a bit to the effect that:
support picked up within a minute of getting through the menu tree
took care of one of my issues immediately (I can't really say what the end result of the porting will be until it happens) and
all of my calls have been clear and echoless until.....
my call to ooma cs.

Despite that last bit, it was a totally pleasant and effective interaction - I'm only mentioning this because there are certainly plenty of irate posts about incompetence, long waits, etc - no complaints here.