Re: ooma Service Status

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
oomg

Post by oomg » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:39 pm

WestHillsCA wrote:West Hills/Woodland Hills CA 91307: Well... we have been without incoming & out-going CALL CAPABILITY ALL DAY... Can't reach the Ooma Customer Support line from cell phone or other land line phones (just rings busy, with a constant pulsing/beeping dial tone).

We just started this service with Ooma and were going to port lines... NOW, were giving it SECOND thoughts. You would think that they would have a Telephone Support line that was NOT dependent on the same connection we have...this assuming that that is why their phones are down, and we can't reach them...

THIS IS NOT GONNA' WORK! BACK TO AT&T $$$$

I guess you get what you pay for!
This is why a number of people have opted to retain one line with their primary carrier. I am in SoCal, not far from West Hills. When I determined that the system went down, it took all of a minute (or less) to swap one plug and voila... had phone service again. Let's face it VOIP is tied to internet service. Not necessarily perfect, but one hellofa value when compared to other primary carriers. I can retain my single ATnT line (with their "All Distance" service) and still save more than $100 per month over my prior service. Yes, it might be inconvenienct to lose the VOIP service occsionally, but it is part of the risk that I am willing to assume (at least occasional disrutptions) given the advantages.

My suggestion: retain one ATnT line (or Verizon if that is your carrier) with at least minimum service. That way you can make the necessary outbound calls and receive any calls in the event of a disruption of VOIP service.

oomg
Last edited by oomg on Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm

parmenides wrote:
Dennis P wrote:billsingh - can you check your phone line plugged into the back of the ooma Hub? Apparently it doesn't think it is plugged in and it is expecting it. Are you porting your number?

parmenides - I don't see any logs for your device. Can you try pinging these three servers, ideally from behind the ooma Hub (ie from a computer connected to the HOME port):

myxprov.ooma.com
vpn.ooma.com
syslog.ooma.com
I can ping the first two. I can't ping syslog, which probably explains why you don't see any logs for my device... :(

syslog.ooma.com resolves to 38.102.149.5 for me.

Any thoughts?
Well, hey, I rebooted for like the 20th time and it came back. Blue! Super duper.

G'night! We'll hope for better tomorrow... :)

billsingh

Post by billsingh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:55 pm

Ok Gents...still down.. Rebooted many times.

myxprov.ooma.com Pingable
vpn.ooma.com Pingable
syslog.ooma.com cannot ping

Rebooted the router....reboot ooma...same shit...still down....

daet

Post by daet » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:57 pm

I cannot ping syslog.ooma.com either, but telephone service is working - and has been for about 1.5 hours (maybe a little longer)
Ooma customer since April 2009
Ooma equipment: Hub ; Telo + 4 handsets
Ooma service: Annual Premier subscription

billsingh

Post by billsingh » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:01 pm

4 buttons are red, Red on #1, #2, play button and Forward Button. ....Have not idea what is wrong...

fishmister

Post by fishmister » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:03 pm

Ooma has been back up for me since about 7:30PM EST for me.

I can ping
vpn.ooma.com
myxprov.ooma.com

But can not ping syslog.ooma.com

vneisius

Post by vneisius » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:25 pm

I too was affected by the outage in Atlanta--but I had set up the multiple ring feature with all incoming calls simultaneously ringing my cell phone, so I continued to receive incoming calls.

juddi

Post by juddi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:32 pm

hi..and so; what caused the shut down of service???

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Quote from Twitter:
Lots of trouble in SV with IP traffic: RIM, TW, Ooma, Blue Cross, Verizon, Google Voice, Yahoo...bad day in the Valley
Wayne

fishmister

Post by fishmister » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 pm

juddi wrote:hi..and so; what caused the shut down of service???
Hi Jason,

It’s been a tough day. Yes we at Ooma take this VERY SERIOUSLY. It appears that one of the routes out of our datacenter (and that of several other SV companies) has been experiencing problems. We are attempting fix the problem, but the challenge is that it’s not our network leg or hardware that is the problem.

The service if flucuating up and down as we try to establish new routes around the problem. As soon as we find a permanent fix we’ll post notices on our blog and on twitter.

Our sincere apologies to those impacted this afternoon.

Rich Buchanan
CMO
Ooma

Source: http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/13/oo ... dead-redux