Re: ooma Service Status

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
Lumberfish
Re: Comments from April 13th 09 Outage

Post by Lumberfish » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:41 am

My hub was red too, but I did and reboot on the hub and I'm back to Blue. If you haven't done this yet you should before you complain much more. Good Luck

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:48 am

parmenides wrote:
number9 wrote:We are not getting any where fighting amongst ourselves. As ooma users we are to help each other when the powers that be are absent. Please be courteous to each other.

I was out of service for a very short time early this morning. I power cycled once and was back up.

To power cycle: Unplug ooma hub from outlet for 1 to 5 minutes and then plug back in. I also do this with my scout, at the same time,. The hud and scout wil 'cycle' the hub will turn red and flash red on the led, it takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully cycle. If you are back online, the led will go blue. If it does not go blue what few minutes and try again.

Barry
Barry:

This is the problem, though:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco ... ily35.html

Power-cycling your hub is equivalent to doing the old Fonzie fist-pound on the juke box to turn it on - may work, may not. It does not address the root of the problem.

Where's the official announcement from ooma? Surely they're all out of bed on the West coast by now.
Yes you are correct. The hubs go into a que, if you will, waiting to be told to go back online. As the service is restored it's a first come type of thing. There are very few instances of the ooma hubs automatically resetting themselves, after coming back online. The red lights On my hub went out and there was nothing, no lights, just the hub looking at me with an evil grimace. I power cycled, Thanks Wayne! and I was back in service. This is why I advocate power cycling. It worked for me,...

lromero314, yes try to power cycle the hub.

Barry
Plays PRS guitars

ftbutler

Post by ftbutler » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 am

lromero314 wrote:Is the outage still going on? I'm in San Diego, CA and my Ooma is still not working. Does it need to be rebooted after an outage for it to work again?
I power cycled the hub this morning a few times but that didn't work. As long as your internet connection is working when the problem is fixed the hub should start working again.

I went to work and checked about an hour ago, 12 PM EST, and the service was working again.

arlane05

Post by arlane05 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:43 am

paul15000 wrote:I agree with your comments and think OOMA is a good product thus far. However, this is not an entirely free service, we have all paid money for the equipment. OOMA should be posting regular status updates during the outtage giving accurate up-to-date info on the problem. They have all of our email addresses so it is no great feat to accomplish that.

I provide telephone tech support to my customers, I do not wait until a problem is resolved before I answer their calls or emails. If I did that I suspect I would quickly lose customers. Being proactive in dealing with customer concerns goes a long way toward keeping customers happy.
arlane05 wrote:Let us not forget the reason we all purchased the ooma system, if not to stick it to ma bell and the other greedy telecom trolls.Two outages is not a bad track record considering the good service we have had in the past. I can only say that a few years ago during the major hurricanes here in Florida we lost regular phone service for 2 weeks and when we tried to reach customer service we got a recording that they were aware of the issue and would get to it as soon as possible. I had my power and internet back before I or my neighbors got our phones back, if we had had the ooma we would have had the only working phone in our area at that time.

Another point to make is I know people who buy this unit and use it overseas to have a local phone line to the area code of their choice, some of these people live in third world countries with the worst phone and internet service, since their internet service is often more modern than their phone system, using ooma becomes a reliable way to have a phone. Their internet does go down more frequently than here at home and they sometimes must deal with outages of days to weeks before service is restored. Lets count our blessings that we have this service available to us and keep the belly aching to a minimum.
I agree with getting the news out fast to a paying clientele, no question about it, customer service in this day and age goes a long way, but looking at the time frame it took them to get things up and running, it looks like most of their resources were focused on getting things normalized and running again and then focus on getting the word out. I think if anything is to be gained from this is that they will certainly move a backup plan up into the immediate priority list so that this does not happen again.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:11 am

arlane05 wrote:I agree with getting the news out fast to a paying clientele, no question about it, customer service in this day and age goes a long way, but looking at the time frame it took them to get things up and running, it looks like most of their resources were focused on getting things normalized and running again and then focus on getting the word out. I think if anything is to be gained from this is that they will certainly move a backup plan up into the immediate priority list so that this does not happen again.
Right - all they need to do is move the backup plan higher in the priority list! Why didn't anyone think of that sooner? Sheesh, it is soooo obvious!

OK, sarcasm off. Redundant internet connectivity is expensive. Redundant data centers are expensive. Business continuity is expensive. Providing mission-critical services with something approaching a guarantee of reliability is expensive.

Do you see the trend?

This is a start-up. If the business is profitable and they wish to continue to grow they will begin to integrate some of these expensive enhancements into their infrastructure. Missing these kinds of things could maybe be forgiven at the start - as this thing grows, they have to be implemented.

In the mean time, you can sit and tell yourself that everything is going to be OK. Leave the probing questions to those of us who would like to actively participate in discussions regarding shortcomings and how the service can transition to overcome them.

And, it doesn't take many "resources" to post to the web site that the service is down, and that the problem is being remedied.

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

number9 wrote: Yes you are correct. The hubs go into a que, if you will, waiting to be told to go back online. As the service is restored it's a first come type of thing. There are very few instances of the ooma hubs automatically resetting themselves, after coming back online. The red lights On my hub went out and there was nothing, no lights, just the hub looking at me with an evil grimace. I power cycled, Thanks Wayne! and I was back in service. This is why I advocate power cycling. It worked for me,...

lromero314, yes try to power cycle the hub.

Barry
go to setup.ooma.com/172.27.35.1 to see ooma hub status. I did it.

Mine said ooma core registering, please wait ... I power down ooma for 10+ minutes (for morning stuffs) and then turn it on, no luck: still saying registering please wait.

the outage is over, but my hub is still trying to establish the vpn tunnel with ooma server

Then I power cycle the whole gig, and ooma come up blue within a min. I guess, I just cheat my way up the queue with a different ip by power cycle my modem.

I posted a note like this in the morning, but it seems that it does not get any attention.

PS. on Mon 4/13, setup.ooma.com said
connecting, please wait ...
this was really outage, and there is nothing I can do
tommies

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:38 pm

You have phone service now. Good, welcome back Tommies.
Plays PRS guitars

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:41 pm

parmenides wrote:... Redundant internet connectivity is expensive. Redundant data centers are expensive. Business continuity is expensive. Providing mission-critical services with something approaching a guarantee of reliability is expensive.

Do you see the trend?

This is a start-up. If the business is profitable and they wish to continue to grow they will begin to integrate some of these expensive enhancements into their infrastructure. Missing these kinds of things could maybe be forgiven at the start - as this thing grows, they have to be implemented.
It's so true, parmenides.

And the POTS is also expensive. My last bill from ATT started at $17.55 for a non-working number (to hold my number waiting to be ported). After adding all the fee&taxes, I have to pay $36.60 (it's 208%)

Maybe ooma becomes a victime of their own success.
tommies

number9

Post by number9 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:47 pm

So what should ooma do? They need to make profit right? What if they come out and say "We need $10.00 a month for service" Then what. How much is this service worth? What would you pay?
Plays PRS guitars

tommies

Post by tommies » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:15 pm

number9 wrote:So what should ooma do? They need to make profit right? What if they come out and say "We need $10.00 a month for service" Then what. How much is this service worth? What would you pay?
I wish I know what ooma would do. But if they want to make profit, making customers happy is a must.

So am I happy with ooma? yes I do. I know the risk with voip, and I made this choice. But ooma cannot profit with just one customer or two.

Like an earthquake, there are aftershocks to follow. I certainly won't expect it, but I also certainly not upset nor surprise if there is some more minor bump to come this week.

Network outage is a very difficult thing to fix, and feel free to correct me. I'm not an expert thought.
Last edited by tommies on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tommies