ooma Outages - Corrective action plan

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
amoney
Re: ooma Outages - Corrective action plan

Post by amoney » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:37 pm

OOMG_

First I trust you understood my joke regarding 900 numbers, wasnt sure, just checking.

Anyways, I understand your passion for Ooma and trying to "put' things in perspective, hell Comcast is horrible, and I consider it a insult when they have that crappy service is out for the entier continent message they play.

As mentioned above, buisness is all about competition, inorder for bragging rights, you have to provide better, if Ooma doesnt step up, they are going to be equally hated as ATT and Comcast etc. The reason why Ooma has customers is becuase people left the other company, Ooma cant handle people leaving for those same reasons.

The 800 number "breif' outage may be not that significant to you to warrent an acknowledgment.

I just think a little effort on Ooma's part will go a long way.

Ultimately people will not come if support is as bad as the competetion, people can at least reach a 24/7 staff.

And although I understand Ooma does not have 24/7 support, I hope to god someone is around monitoring the backend. This is critical phone service that can not wait till morning PST time.

Imagine 911 being down, how about them poor souls!

BTW, I have had decent customer service over the phone, but i can see Ooma can do better. Especially if they are to succeed. I want to continue enjoying low cost phone service.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

bw1

Post by bw1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:22 pm

amoney wrote:This is critical phone service that can not wait till morning PST time.

BTW, I have had decent customer service over the phone, but i can see Ooma can do better. Especially if they are to succeed. I want to continue enjoying low cost phone service.
I suggest you read the TOS. If it's that critical to you, whether for e911 or your business, then you should get a backup, such as an inexpensive landline.

I don't know all of the specific details of other services, but I'm pretty sure that the landlines provided by AT&T, Verizon, etc. are regulated by the FCC. I don't know what that means as far as service. I had very good service from AT&T as far as staying connected. However, when the neighbor's landscaping company severed his Comcast cable and my AT&T phone line, Comcast came out several hours before AT&T. And yes, I was surprised! :o

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:02 pm

amoney wrote: OOMG_
First I trust you understood my joke regarding 900 numbers, wasnt sure, just checking.
What... that was a joke? Ohhh!
amoney wrote:Anyways, I understand your passion for Ooma and trying to "put' things in perspective, hell Comcast is horrible, and I consider it a insult when they have that crappy service is out for the entier continent message they play.

Don't confuse appreciation with passion. I really appreciate the Ooma service... I am passionate about a some other things.
amoney wrote:As mentioned above, buisness is all about competition, inorder for bragging rights, you have to provide better, if Ooma doesnt step up, they are going to be equally hated as ATT and Comcast etc. The reason why Ooma has customers is becuase people left the other company, Ooma cant handle people leaving for those same reasons.
Generally, those people were forced to use the services provided by their POTS provider as well as their cable company. No one is forced to opt into Ooma or their Premier service.
amoney wrote:The 800 number "breif' outage may be not that significant to you to warrent an acknowledgment.
Has it actually been determined that Ooma was responsible for the issue? If so, by whom?
amoney wrote:I just think a little effort on Ooma's part will go a long way.
That may be true for almost anything, but I think it is abundantly clear that Ooma staff has been and is putting more than a little effort.
amoney wrote:Ultimately people will not come if support is as bad as the competetion, people can at least reach a 24/7 staff.
Yeah, I suppose I would feel better if someone told me that they can't do anything until morning.
amoney wrote:And although I understand Ooma does not have 24/7 support, I hope to god someone is around monitoring the backend. This is critical phone service that can not wait till morning PST time.

As I and others have recommended. make a contingency plan if continuous service is mandatory. I have a plan in place, Remember that old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared! See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwjuz_-yao
amoney wrote:Imagine 911 being down, how about them poor souls!

Be Prepared! See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwjuz_-yao
amoney wrote:BTW, I have had decent customer service over the phone, but i can see Ooma can do better. Especially if they are to succeed. I want to continue enjoying low cost phone service.

So do I. However, I recognize that much of life involves compromise. If I want to enjoy really low cost phone service, what sacrifices am I willing to make. Hey wait, MagicJack is cheaper than Ooma (that's a whole different topic), but am I willing to sacrifice that much? I would agree that Ooma cannot ignore customer service, but I would not even consider terminating the service for an occasional outage. I think you get the idea.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:20 pm

bw1 wrote:
amoney wrote:This is critical phone service that can not wait till morning PST time.

I suggest you read the TOS. If it's that critical to you, whether for e911 or your business, then you should get a backup, such as an inexpensive landline.

I don't know all of the specific details of other services, but I'm pretty sure that the landlines provided by AT&T, Verizon, etc. are regulated by the FCC. I don't know what that means as far as service. I had very good service from AT&T as far as staying connected. However, when the neighbor's landscaping company severed his Comcast cable and my AT&T phone line, Comcast came out several hours before AT&T. And yes, I was surprised! :o
I understand just the same can happen to landline and etc. being down, but I feel the critisim here is for better support. Even though I had a decent telephone customer support experience, I dont think I have ever hear a customer support personel trip over his words and the sense of feeling they were scambling to come up with a solution. But hey they pulled through so I will give them that.

Sure other providers have their staffed trained with pages of scripts that give you a false sense of a warm fuzzy feeling but at least things are seemingly accounted for better. Again I am not looking for the same mediocre level of service. Sure the pice is cheap but I would rather pay more for better service. Seriously!

As far as inexpensive basic landline service, there is no such thing in my area, ATT rips me for 20+ dollars. All I had additional was caller ID deluxe and the bill was 40+. Then they want to sucker you into one of those "plans" (cost before the extra fees). Its was rediculous.

I am just looking for more reassurance.

As my boss always say, its the perception that matters, mind you I even dont entirely agree with that but there is a point.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

amoney

Post by amoney » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:25 pm

oomg wrote:
amoney wrote:Anyways, I understand your passion for Ooma and trying to "put' things in perspective, hell Comcast is horrible, and I consider it a insult when they have that crappy service is out for the entier continent message they play.

Don't confuse appreciation with passion. I really appreciate the Ooma service... I am passionate about a some other things.
amoney wrote:As mentioned above, buisness is all about competition, inorder for bragging rights, you have to provide better, if Ooma doesnt step up, they are going to be equally hated as ATT and Comcast etc. The reason why Ooma has customers is becuase people left the other company, Ooma cant handle people leaving for those same reasons.
Generally, those people were forced to use the services provided by their POTS provider as well as their cable company. No one is forced to opt into Ooma or their Premier service.
amoney wrote:The 800 number "breif' outage may be not that significant to you to warrent an acknowledgment.
Has it actually been determined that Ooma was responsible for the issue? If so, by whom?
That may be true for almost anything, but I think it is abundantly clear that Ooma staff has been and is putting more than a little effort.
amoney wrote:Ultimately people will not come if support is as bad as the competetion, people can at least reach a 24/7 staff.
Yeah, I suppose I would feel better if someone told me that they can't do anything until morning.
amoney wrote:And although I understand Ooma does not have 24/7 support, I hope to god someone is around monitoring the backend. This is critical phone service that can not wait till morning PST time.

As I and others have recommended. make a contingency plan if continuous service is mandatory. I have a plan in place, Remember that old Boy Scout motto: Be Prepared! See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSwjuz_-yao

amoney wrote:BTW, I have had decent customer service over the phone, but i can see Ooma can do better. Especially if they are to succeed. I want to continue enjoying low cost phone service.

So do I. However, I recognize that much of life involves compromise. If I want to enjoy really low cost phone service, what sacrifices am I willing to make. Hey wait, MagicJack is cheaper than Ooma (that's a whole different topic), but am I willing to sacrifice that much? I would agree that Ooma cannot ignore customer service, but I would not even consider terminating the service for an occasional outage. I think you get the idea.
Dude, your totally missing the point.

You litterally make it sound like this level of support is acceptable.

Whats the problem with wanting improvements?

Last post, I look forward to reading your response.
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G

oomg

Post by oomg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 pm

amoney wrote:
oomg wrote:

Dude, your totally missing the point.

You litterally make it sound like this level of support is acceptable.

Whats the problem with wanting improvements?

Last post, I look forward to reading your response.

Dude! All right, how did you get my real name?

Yes, the level of support I have received is acceptable to me.

I have no problem with someone wanting improvements... that's exactly why I'm here. The service (so far) and quality really are better than what I was receiving through ATnT; aka an improvement. And Ooma delivers the goods for a fraction of the cost of ATnT; aka a significant improvement.

Now, I look forward to an answer to the question I posed above:

And, if it is ultimately determined that the outage is due to a glitch in Ooma's system, I'm relatively certain they will figure out how to work around that glitch.

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:37 am

oomg wrote: Now, I look forward to an answer to the question I posed above:
As far as I am concerned, it does not matter to me if Ooma was responsible for the outage. What matters is, the outage affected Ooma customers, and it sure as hell would have been nice if Ooma kept the customers up to date in a timely fashion. (And yes, even MORE so if the outage was their fault..). Isn't that what the Ooma status and Ooma tweet pages are for? Tell us what happened. Tell us that some downstream service went offline for 8 hours, and that Ooma techs checked it out first thing in the morning, and the downstream service fixed it, or whatever happened. This never happened. That concerns me. And I don't think I'm asking for too much here.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

oomg

Post by oomg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:05 am

caseybea wrote:
oomg wrote: Now, I look forward to an answer to the question I posed above:
As far as I am concerned, it does not matter to me if Ooma was responsible for the outage. What matters is, the outage affected Ooma customers, and it sure as hell would have been nice if Ooma kept the customers up to date in a timely fashion. (And yes, even MORE so if the outage was their fault..). Isn't that what the Ooma status and Ooma tweet pages are for? Tell us what happened. Tell us that some downstream service went offline for 8 hours, and that Ooma techs checked it out first thing in the morning, and the downstream service fixed it, or whatever happened. This never happened. That concerns me. And I don't think I'm asking for too much here.
So, at least to your knowledge, the answer to the question is: no.

Hmmm... let me see if I have this right. Assuming for the sake of discussion only that there was an outage that was something more than an isolated event; that the cause of whatever outage may have existed was not due to an Ooma failure; and Ooma has yet to determine the cause of the outage; you want them to tell you what you already know; i.e. that there was outage (of some unknown extent) that had been resolved before their techs arrived the next morning.

On a scale of 1 to 100 with 100 being the highest priority, I think I would rate the priority of such information at a 0.25. I tend to believe that Ooma staff has more important things to do.

caseybea

Post by caseybea » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am

To my knowledge, Ooma never even communicated to anyone that they were looking into it.

We apparently disagree here on what Ooma, as a service provider, should be providing to their customers in terms of information regarding outages. From my perspective, as of recent, their communication to customers has been lacking. I apparently expect more than you do.
Ooma Hub customer since January 2010
Telo2 upgrade (hub retired) October 2016
Service Level: Core

amoney

Post by amoney » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:15 am

Yes, Ooma was responsible, why becuase of the simple fact, mutiple people had the same error. Who proved this you asked, the answer is all the posts that said so.

If your fine, thats great for you, but other people are not fine, and are requesting improvements.

Please step aside as obviously this does not concern you.

;)
Comcast > Telo > WRT54G