ooma Outages - Corrective action plan

Stay informed with the latest ooma feature updates and service status. Note: New Topics cannot be created in this forum.
alesme
Re: ooma Outages - Corrective action plan

Post by alesme » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:38 am

It would be nice if we could register a cell phone to ring during outages.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:17 am

You can if you're a premier subscriber and an update is planned for ooma to allow this for ooma outages (i.e. if your internet connection or power is out) for core subscribers.

However, this will still only work if the ooma calling network is up and running on ooma's servers.

mc1home

Post by mc1home » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 pm

I am glad to see they are taking this outage serious. It really makes me more confident in the choice to use ooma. the system isn't perfect but is always improving. I look forward to new service offerings. do plan to stay a long time customer.
P.S If you guy are serious about midwest location.We sit on top of a fiber optic back bone. They will cut deal tax wise. just a thought.

djcentinno

Post by djcentinno » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:24 pm

I suggest putting a server in the Tampa, Florida area. Wikipedia's main servers are located somewhere in Tampa, I believe in one of the downtown office buildings. We also have one of the most effective electrical failsafe grids in the country. Afterall, we are the Lightning Capital of the USA!

Oomawesome!

P.S. I also currently have local phone service through Verizon. Thank goodness I did cause if I didn't and there was a hurricane (or more recent, tornadoes), I'd be FUBAR!

clynch

Post by clynch » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:33 pm

Agreed that this is a very positive and customer friendly response from OOMA -- thanks! I have a thought on some of the more negative posts during the outages, to the effect that OOMA has failed if there are any outages that persist. I think the customer base needs to recognize that this is not intended to be a business-class service and that some residential service interruptions are inevitable. OOMA's response of improving customer communication in those cases is welcome and an appropriate response. Adding other hosting/data centers is a huge plus, too. However, we customers should not have an expectation of 100% uptime, as that would be unrealistically expensive. Therefore, we need to have reasonable alternative communication strategies (such as cell phones) to deal with possible interruption of service. It is simply irresponsible to rely 100% on an ISP-managed communication infrastructure (e.g., cable internet) to be there in case of emergency. I mention this as a customer in hopes that other customers and potential customers will take heed, as I believe OOMA cannot say these things from a marketing standpoint.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 pm

Well said, Clynch!

Wayne

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:01 am

WayneDsr wrote:Well said, Clynch!

Wayne
Yes... Bravo... Bravo... re: customer expectations. I couldn't have said it better myself. However, I don't quite agree with the statement "that this [ooma] is not intended to be a business-class service and that some residential service interruptions are inevitable."

I have seen a number of users on this forum comment about using ooma for their business, and IMHO it is a viable business-class service at least for a small business. For my part, I originally intended to use my ooma strictly for residential, but have decided to hog one of the lines [assigned to a Scout] to record all incoming messages for my business which is run primarily from my home (althugh I do have a separate office as well). Having the ability to access my business messages from the lounge works great for me. Likewise, if I am working on a project and don't want to be disturbed, I press the VM button and turn down the lights on the Scout, and don't worry about any disruptions.

Of course, as WayneDsr and I have suggested on multiple occasions, any VOIP user must (or at least should) develop a contingency plan. Having had a backup plan in place, I suffered nothing more than a minor inconvenience during the service disruptions that occurred on the 13th. Whether the contingency plan relies on cell phones, a basic landline, 2-way radios, alternate VOIP, or otherwise, depends on the needs or desires of individual as well as the configuration of his particular system.

Nevertheless, Bravo...Bravo!
Last edited by oomg on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
oomg -- Voice Over Internet Person

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:17 am

djcentinno wrote:I suggest putting a server in the Tampa, Florida area. Wikipedia's main servers are located somewhere in Tampa, I believe in one of the downtown office buildings. We also have one of the most effective electrical failsafe grids in the country. Afterall, we are the Lightning Capital of the USA!

Oomawesome!

P.S. I also currently have local phone service through Verizon. Thank goodness I did cause if I didn't and there was a hurricane (or more recent, tornadoes), I'd be FUBAR!
This brings up a good point. Assuming that ooma were going to locate a second center somewhere to the east of SV, what would they look for in a suitable location?

Of course we know that hurricanes, tornadoes, and even earthquakes can cause major disruptions of landline telephone service, and thus, I am assuming any internet connections as well. So, I would think that ooma would want to look for a location that meets the following criteria:

1. minimal likelyhood of earthquake (actually they can happen almost anywhere);

2. far enough inland to avoid most hurricane whether;

3. far enough east to avoid most tornadoes (smaller tornadoes have been known to touchdown in some unexpected places);

4. far enough inland to avoid a tsunami (or high surf);

5. far enough from a river to avoid flood damage (I think we can rule out New Orleans);

6. far enough from a nuclear power plant (I think we can rule out the Three Mile Island area);

7. far enough from any urban area that is likely to be a target of terroist attacks (e.g. Washington, D.C. and most port cities);

and yet, close enough to a decent football team, baseball team, etc. and good pizza parlors. Any suggestions?

I've learned a lot here... two months ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP and now I are one.

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:04 am

Sounds like my house. My house it is!

Wayne

oomg

Post by oomg » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:19 am

WayneDsr wrote:Sounds like my house. My house it is!

Wayne
Sorry... two problems: It sounds like you are in the general vicinity of Notre Dame and The Bob and Tom broadcast studio... well o.k. in the same state. As crazy as their respective fans are we must rule out the entire state.