[fixed]Poor DSL Internet Performance

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
tommies
Re: [fixed]Poor DSL Internet Performance

Post by tommies » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:17 pm

I will try this remedy, many thanks to KTR.

By the way, this should be on ooma Support Knowledgebase. I see many threads with similar problem.

Edited Mar 08
It works. My DSL runs full speed as it is before ooma. The scout is connected and blue tab on, and calls are ok.

OOMA Mod please make a sticky thread and provide a link to this work around.
tommies

grecni

Re: Poor DSL Internet Performance

Post by grecni » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:41 am

KTR, I wanted to thank you for your post. I have the same 2Wire setup and your post allowed me to hook up my new Ooma with no problems. My solution is slightly different. I have a home office where I have run two phone lines in the past. Based on your information, I ended up connecting the Ooma splitter to my 1st line (the active line that my DSL is provided to). I connected the DSL splitter to the Ooma splitter but then connected the Ooma splitter to the second phone line coming into my home office. The first line also comes into the home office and is connected to the Ooma hub. My wired and wireless connections are all directly from the 2Wire. I've attached a PDF of a drawing of my setup if anyone is interested.

Thank you again for your post.

Jim
Attachments
Visio-OomaWiring.pdf
(125.67KiB)Downloaded 531 times

ktr

Post by ktr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:47 pm

I am just browsing the forums today (for another issue) and it seems A LOT of people are suffering the degraded performance when they connect the ooma hub to their DSL line. I am glad to hear that my experience with this issue is helping others.

parmenides

Post by parmenides » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:20 am

I have another spin on a solution to this. Maybe a slight bit easier.

I also need to have a DSL filter inline between my ooma hub's wall port and the ooma splitter. I have the common setup in place via wall jack (single line dsl) to ooma splitter. One port out of the splitter goes into my ooma hub's wall port. The other port out of the splitter goes into my wireless / dsl router. If I fail to place the filter inline between the ooma splitter and the ooma hub's wall port my dsl performance goes in the dumpster. Of course, when I do place the filter inline I can no longer communicate with my scout.

My solution was to place a common 2-way phone splitter between the dsl filter and the ooma hub's wall port. Attach a coupler to the male side of the 2-way splitter and run a cable between the coupler and the ooma wall port. Next, out of the 2-way splitter run one leg into the dsl filter.

At this point we're back to square one - dsl filter is inline and everything works well except for no communication with the scout. So, out of the second port on the 2-way splitter run a cable into the scout.

My scout is in another part of the house, so to get there I use the black/yellow pair within my house wiring for transport. All of my jacks are wired for 2 lines, so I use a simple 3-way splitter (a/b/a+b) at both the jack feeding the ooma splitter and upstairs jack feeding the scout. The ooma splitter goes into 'a' - this is the pair which transports my dsl service. The cable coming out of the splitter inline between the dsl filter and the ooma wall port runs into port 'b'. Upstairs, the scout also runs from its wall port into port 'b'.

So, for about $10 (the cost of a 2-way splitter and of two 3-way splitters) I solved this problem without any rewiring, any new cabling, etc.

Most homes are wired for two lines at each wall jack, so this solution should be available to almost anyone with the problem. Good luck!

lostlink

Post by lostlink » Thu May 28, 2009 4:49 pm

ktr wrote:I am just browsing the forums today (for another issue) and it seems A LOT of people are suffering the degraded performance when they connect the ooma hub to their DSL line. I am glad to hear that my experience with this issue is helping others.

Just hooked up my Ooma today. I have the same 2wire integrated hub/router as you. My problem was trying to get it to work per instructions on page 6 (DSL & phone on same line) in the Quick Start Guide. Nothing was working, finally I flipped back to page 5 and followed Section C and everything worked like a dream, no splitter(s) and no filter (on phone plugged into the hub). I guess I should always read with page one as a starting point.

I haven't tried the Scout yet. I did notice my upload speed dropped quite a bit, likely because of the integrated hub/router set up. No loss of download at all.

Hope this helps anyone out......

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Thu May 28, 2009 5:46 pm

Does the speed seem slow during a call or all the time?

Just curious and Welcome to ooma forums!

Wayne

lostlink

Post by lostlink » Sat May 30, 2009 4:42 pm

WayneDsr wrote:Does the speed seem slow during a call or all the time?

Just curious and Welcome to ooma forums!

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

The upload speed slows down about 65% while making a call. Now if I unplug the cable from the Ooma hub (home port) and plug it directly into the 2wire integrated hub/router my upload speed returns to normal, only problem is I can not access the set up page (http://setup.ooma.com). Otherwise everything else seems to work fine. I still haven't had a chance to utilize the scout as my cordless phone has 4 handsets. That can always be a winter project I guess.

Still playing around with this handy gizmo. I'm considering not to port my old number that I've had for 29 years, kinda like a clean break/shedding old skin sorrta thing I guess.......

LL

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Sat May 30, 2009 4:54 pm

If you are going to put ooma behind the router, as you would a pc, you need not set anything in ooma after that, since the router will control everything. However if you need to go to setup.ooma.com connect a pc to the home port and add 172.27.35.1 (ooma's ip) to ooma's DMZ.
After that you can access setup.ooma.com via any computer on the network by typing in the ip address your router gave ooma or by using the 172. address.

Do not leave that in DMZ if you put ooma between the modem and router as this will cause a security issue.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member

pl1

Post by pl1 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:03 pm

WayneDsr wrote:After that you can access setup.ooma.com via any computer on the network by typing in the ip address your router gave ooma or by using the 172. address.
At least in my case, the 172 address does not work after setting the DMZ. http://192.168.1.101/ accesses the ooma hub from behind my Linksys Router.