How do I to connect Telo to existing phone network

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
FarRed
How do I to connect Telo to existing phone network

Post by FarRed » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:55 pm

I am using my Telo thru my cable connection--works fine. I wanted to see if it would power the rest of my house. So after disconnecting the incoming Qwest line, I connected the Telo 'wall' port to my existing telephone wiring using a wall jack, but can't get a dial tone on any other phone. I have three phones connected to the existing wiring. The only phone that works is the one connected directly to the Telo port labeled 'phone'.

This seems like it should be simple--can't figure it out. Anyone else have problems? Should I connect the wiring to the 'phone' port?

BTW, the instruction sheet that came with my Telo said to go to https://www.ooma.com/homedistribution for how to set this up, but the page no longer exists.

lbmofo

Re: How do I to connect Telo to existing phone network

Post by lbmofo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Make sure your house wiring is disconnected from the telephone company at the NIB outside your house.

http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... stribution

The Ooma dialtone comes out of the "phone" port so that's what you'll connect to your house wall jack.

jwlakeland

Post by jwlakeland » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 am

I have a similar question in regards to home distribution. I recently installed Ooma and completed number porting. My landline is now disconnected. My modem, router and Ooma Telo are all located in a nook together. The modem and a satellite dvr are both plugged into a single phone jack in the nook via a splitter (Phone jacks in my home are limited in number and location). I have been received conflicting info from Ooma techs on how to connect to the home phone wiring to enable distribution of calls to the home phone network. I currently have 1 phone connected to the Ooma Telo box (via the Phone port). Ooma techs have told me that 1) I should connect from that port on the Ooma Telo to an unused jack or 2) I can connect from that jack to a 3 way splitter shared with my modem and dvr. I am hoping #2 will work. Does anyone have any idea if it will?
Thanks!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 am

It is important to physically disconnect your house wiring from the telephone company even if your landline is no longer in service. After that, you feed your Ooma's "phone" port into a wall jack in your house and you should have Ooma dialtone everywhere in the house.

viewtopic.php?t=6853

FarRed

Post by FarRed » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:37 pm

That was easy.

Woohoo! Thanks. So the instructions they sent were wrong. It had me connecting to the wall port on Ooma. Time to port my number.

jwlakeland

Post by jwlakeland » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:15 pm

When I connect to the wall jack, should I be able to connect to a splitter (I am currently using the closest walljack to support the modem and dvr)?
Thanks!
Jeff

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:39 pm

jwlakeland, seems like u have DSL? If so, take a look: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10261

jwlakeland

Post by jwlakeland » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 am

Thanks, that looks like it will help a lot.
Take care,
Jeff

jwlakeland

Post by jwlakeland » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Please see my picture of my NIB. You will see it has 4 "ports" (not sure of the right term). The first one was where my landline was originally set up. The 2nd one is where my DSL is now located since ATT did the "dry loop". As you see the 1st port and 2nd port both have blue and white wires connected. Some questions:
1) Should I disconnect the wires to the 1st port? That seems to be what I have understood from previous posts.
2) If yes to #1, do I just pull the wires out of the 1st port connector?
3) If yes to #2, what is the best way to tie them off?
Thanks!
Attachments
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG (83.84KiB)Viewed 11500 times

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:12 pm

jwlakeland wrote:When I connect to the wall jack, should I be able to connect to a splitter (I am currently using the closest walljack to support the modem and dvr)?
Thanks!
Jeff
Sure, you can use a splitter on the Ooma "phone" jack or in any wall jack in your house, or both.