House Set Up - Directtv HD DVR's

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: House Set Up - Directtv HD DVR's

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 am

Nolzman wrote:The terminology is still somewhat confusing, with the white with blue and blue with white?? All I see is a blue wire and a white wire. I assume the blue wire has a white stripe and the white wire has a blue stripe, but it was night and sleeting, when I took the pictures. I will go re-verify that this evening.
Correct. white with blue = white wire with blue stripe and blue with white = blue wire with white stripe
Nolzman wrote: 1. Unplug the phone line from the jack in the NIB.
2. Find the orange and white pair of wires from the bunch.
Yes, find the orange pair - white wire with orange stripe and orange wire with white stripe
Nolzman wrote: 3. Connect the white (white with orange) to the Green terminal and connect the orange (orange with white) to the Red terminal. *** The L2 terminals are above the L1 (already connected) in the picture....correct???
Connect the orange pair to the same screw terminals the blue pair is connected to. Don't connect anything to the upper screw terminals that are empty right now.
Nolzman wrote: 4. Then disconnect the blue and white wires from the L1 terminal.
Since you'll be connecting the orange pair to the same screw terminals, you'd need to take the blue pair off the terminals first and then connect the orange pair to them.
Nolzman wrote: 5. Then plug the phone line back into the Jack.
6. Using the designate splitter, plug the DSL Modem in to L2 port and verify that I still have Internet connection.
For confirmation:
Step #5, this is the same plug you unplugged in step #1 in the NIB.
The splitter pictured should be plugged into a wall jack inside the house near your modem.
Nolzman wrote:
7. Once internet is verified, I can clip the exposed metal ends on the Blue and White wires (to insure they do no accidentally connect/touch anything), and close up the NIB.
You can clip the exposed leads on the blue pair right after you disconnect them from the screw terminals.
You can close up the NIB right after you plug the plug back in step #5.
Nolzman wrote: 8. Hopefully, I can then connect the Ooma "phone" port to the L1 port of the splitter and I will get a dial tone throughout the house!!!!!
9. Set the DTV DVR receiver to dial out with prefix *99 and put a DSL filter between receiver and wall jack to maximize successful dialout.
You'll be good to go.
Nolzman wrote: By the way, what are the references to the black and yellow? Are they the color of the wire running from L2?
Until early 90's I think, they used to use green, red, black, & yellow wires for phone lines.
L1: green = tip, red = ring
L2: black = tip, yellow = ring
Screw terminal colors: red = ring, green = tip; some NIB has black and yellow screw terminals as well (your upper screw terminals that are empty and meant for L2 lines coming from the telephone company; you don't have any signals coming from the telephone company on the L2 terminal screws).

Nolzman

Post by Nolzman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:59 am

Thanks again, I'm excited to go home and get this set up!

For final verification and for easy reference to anybody with a similar home set up, here are the steps again with your updates:

Steps:
1. Unplug the phone line from the jack in the NIB.
2. Find the orange pair - white wire with orange stripe and orange wire with white stripe
3. Then disconnect the blue and white wires from the terminal.
4. Connect the orange pair to the same screw terminals that the blue pair is connected to. Don't connect anything to the upper screw terminals. Connect the white (white with orange) to the Green terminal and connect the orange (orange with white) to the Red terminal.
5. Then plug the phone line back into the Jack in the NIB.
6. Plug the designate splitter into a wall jack inside the house, plug the DSL Modem into L2 port and verify that I have Internet connection.
7. Once internet is verified, I can clip the exposed metal ends on the Blue and White wires (to insure they do no accidentally connect/touch anything), and close up the NIB. I want to make sure all is working as desired before closing it up.
8. Then connect the Ooma "phone" port to the L1 port of the splitter and I will get a dial tone throughout the house!!!!!
9. Set the DTV DVR receiver to dial out with prefix *99 and put a DSL filter between receiver and wall jack to maximize successful dial out.

Can I do all this while the phone service is still turned on? If so, once I'm sure it's working I will call the phone company and "turn off" the phone service.

Does the splitter need to use a DSL filter?

Will I need to use the DSL filters on the phone jacks in the house powered by the Ooma device?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Nolzman wrote:Can I do all this while the phone service is still turned on? If so, once I'm sure it's working I will call the phone company and "turn off" the phone service.

Does the splitter need to use a DSL filter?

Will I need to use the DSL filters on the phone jacks in the house powered by the Ooma device?
All looks good.

Yes, you can do this while you still have telephone company phone service. After you put the telephone company signal (DSL + phone) on L2 in the NIB, within the house, you'll need one of those said splitters anywhere you need to access either DSL or phone service through the L2 port of the splitter. If you plug a phone into the L2 port of the splitter, you'll need a DSL filter.

In order to port your number, you'll need to keep your phone service active. If you call your phone company to cancel your phone service, you'll won't be able to port your number over to Ooma.

Phones using Ooma dialtone won't need DSL filters. It is said that DSL filters help faxes, dish receivers, machines communicate better over Ooma service.

Nolzman

Post by Nolzman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:36 pm

lbmofo wrote: Yes, you can do this while you still have telephone company phone service. After you put the telephone company signal (DSL + phone) on L2 in the NIB, within the house, you'll need one of those said splitters anywhere you need to access either DSL or phone service through the L2 port of the splitter. If you plug a phone into the L2 port of the splitter, you'll need a DSL filter.
As I stated, my phone company says that even when I cancel "phone" service, I keep the number (no choice). They said I can receive calls and call toll-free numbers for free, which I do not plan to do. But.... if I wanted to keep a phone available for that number (at least temporarily), I could plug a splitter into the wall jack and a DSL filter into the splitter, and then plug the phone to the DSL filter .... correct?
I assume, if I do not have a phone hooked up this way, there is way for the phone to charge me for calls on the number?
lbmofo wrote: In order to port your number, you'll need to keep your phone service active. If you call your phone company to cancel your phone service, you'll won't be able to port your number over to Ooma.
My number is not able to be ported by Ooma. Before I bought the device, I checked the website and sent an email to Ooma support. After I installed the Ooma ( a few days ago) I called support twice and asked again and all every attempt verified that I cannot port my old number. The wife is not happy!!! In fact, they did not even have numbers with the same area code. Here in Atlanta, we have 3 or 4 area codes used for local (10 digit) dialing.
lbmofo wrote: Phones using Ooma dialtone won't need DSL filters. It is said that DSL filters help faxes, dish receivers, machines communicate better over Ooma service.
Good to know. Thanks again.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:11 pm

I'd make sure what they are telling you is really true. Seems fishy to me. You hold a number in service and if no activity, there is no charge? That's so unlike Telephone companies! There's got to be a charge to you that they are not telling you about. Maybe they are just telling you that with their DSL service, there has got to be an associated phone number to it and they can just use your current number for that purpose if you cancel your phone service.

About your number not being portable to Ooma, I'd email ntoy and ask him to verify/confirm. ntoy has been very helpful to folks that get stuck with traditional CS route.
Nolzman wrote:I could plug a splitter into the wall jack and a DSL filter into the splitter, and then plug the phone to the DSL filter .... correct?
Yes.

Nolzman

Post by Nolzman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

lbmofo wrote:I'd make sure what they are telling you is really true. Seems fishy to me. You hold a number in service and if no activity, there is no charge? That's so unlike Telephone companies! There's got to be a charge to you that they are not telling you about. Maybe they are just telling you that with their DSL service, there has got to be an associated phone number to it and they can just use your current number for that purpose if you cancel your phone service.

About your number not being portable to Ooma, I'd email ntoy and ask him to verify/confirm. ntoy has been very helpful to folks that get stuck with traditional CS route.
Nolzman wrote:I could plug a splitter into the wall jack and a DSL filter into the splitter, and then plug the phone to the DSL filter .... correct?
Yes.
I re-verified with the Phone Co. that they keep the number. I even asked if I was a new customer for DSL only would I get a number, and they said that every account must have a phone number.

For the short term this is fine because, as I alluded too, I plan on temporarily keeping a dumb phone plugged into the wall with the L2 jack so that if anybody calls, we can tell them what our new number is. Also, it gives us a land line in case of emergencies if the internet is down. Once I'm satisfied that everyone knows our new number, I will unplug the dumb phone and keep it around, just in case.

Per your suggestion, I sent an email to ntoy and waiting to see what he says. But based on the information from the Phone Co. I don't expect the phone number can be ported.

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:08 pm

You should be able to port your number away and have them assign a new number to your DSL account.
They apparently use the phone number as the account number.
I've heard reports of DSL without a phone number being priced higher than DSL with a phone number.
Last edited by murphy on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm sure someone can post the link, but basically number portability is required by law. I'm not sure if there is an exception to that, but it's my understanding it can't be refused. You'll want "dry-loop" for your DSL and I suspect murphy is correct in that a new "telephone number" will be generated for your DSL account.
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5

Nolzman

Post by Nolzman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:45 pm

murphy wrote:You should be able to port your number away and have them assign a new number to your DSL account.
They apparently use the phone number as the account number.
I've heard reports of DSL without a phone number being priced higher thab DSL with a phone number.
That's a good idea, if I can somehow get Ooma to port my number. Even if I have to pay re-connection fee, it my be worth it to keep my old number. Waiting on word from ntoy on whether there is some way to port my number.

Nolzman

Post by Nolzman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:47 pm

EricJRW wrote:I'm sure someone can post the link, but basically number portability is required by law. I'm not sure if there is an exception to that, but it's my understanding it can't be refused. You'll want "dry-loop" for your DSL and I suspect murphy is correct in that a new "telephone number" will be generated for your DSL account.
Hopefully, the number porting is required by law. I will take if as far as I can to retain the number and keep the wife happy. :D

What is "dry-loop"?