Porting question

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
mikeshady
Porting question

Post by mikeshady » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:52 am

Can anyone answer this,when my number from att is ported on the 4th,then att hooks up my uverse Internet the same day,will I just be able to plug in the att router/modem into the phone jack and log in then plug my ooma in to the Ethernet port and everything will work.I get the feeling from reading here that I have to disconnect something in the nib box. ATT tells me my Internet should work does anyone know if this is true. THANKS

southsound

Re: Porting question

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Edited to remove faulty information. See my post later in the thread.
Last edited by southsound on Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

mikeshady

Post by mikeshady » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:38 pm

southsound wrote:I believe that U-verse is not your typical DSL so it will not connect to your existing phone wiring unless you also ordered voice service on U-verse. Others who have the service may wish to confirm. If that is the case, then the following should be accurate and answer your question.Oh snap now I'm really confused how do they get the dsl signal to the router they,they told me I just plug the router into the phone jack as I did before but from your post seems that won't work helpppppp

If you are going to distribute ooma dialtone throughout the house, you should make sure that your house wiring is disconnected from the utility. Even when you change to U-verse, they may get lazy and leave your old landline connection to the remote equipment live. This can cause a number of problems with your ooma system and call quality. Disconnecting is simple - there should be a little modular jack and either a short cord or a swingaway plug in your Network Interface Box. Just unplug the little cord or swing the plug out of the way. This is done on the Customer side of your NIB. Do not change anything on the utility side. If you have one of the newer swingaway boxes, you may not be able to close the box when the plug is disconnected - if so, just remove the wires from the screw terminals and connect like colors together, making the connectionion with either wire nuts or scotchlock connectors. Then you can plug a cord from your ooma PHONE jack into any phone jack in the house and use any other to connect a regular phone or cordless base.

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Could someone with U-verse (data only) add some information here? Recently a friend of a friend had U-verse installed and they connected the RG box via new wiring. In fact, they had limited choice for location because the person had a finished basement and they could not run the new cable for the box where she wanted it.
Lifetime Premier Member

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Looks like Uverse uses existing phone lines. So, in this particular thread, the poster Computer-Joe was recommending having Uverse data come in the house via pair 2 and use pair 1 for VoIP dialtone distribution.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Home-Set-Up/Se ... -p/2528745

southsound

Post by southsound » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:24 pm

lbmofo wrote:Looks like Uverse uses existing phone lines.
Thanks for the correct information.

So with the new perspective, you don't need to do anything with the existing wiring if you are going to just plug a phone or cordless base into your Telo's PHONE jack. If you would like to use your home wiring to connect other phones, then you will need to connect the Telo PHONE jack to an unused pair of wires in your home wiring. You can do this by using a couple of two-line splitters or just adding a two jack plate where your U-verse plugs in and changing the wiring of your other outlets to use the second line wiring (typically white/orange or black/yellow). At the U-verse plate, the first pair (white/blue or red/green) feed the modem and the second pair feeds the jack for connecting phones. (This suggestion uses the first line for the modem as opposed to using the second pair as detailed in the link lbmofo showed. Either will work just fine. - I had already typed this up when I checked the link).
Lifetime Premier Member

mikeshady

Post by mikeshady » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:06 pm

THANKS all for the responses looks like I am good to go on porting day(crossing fingers) hopefully ooma does there thing and att does theres. THANKS

highq

Post by highq » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:16 pm

mikeshady wrote:THANKS all for the responses looks like I am good to go on porting day(crossing fingers) hopefully ooma does there thing and att does theres. THANKS
So long as each party does theirs there and not here, eh?