I only have one phone line how to install?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
juicy360
I only have one phone line how to install?

Post by juicy360 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:21 pm

I have a unique situation where my all my home phone lines where converted to cat5 network cables. I only have one phone line in the kitchen, and cat5 gigabit network connection at the computer desk 6 ft away.

I setup ooma system the normal way and I have a phone line stretched across the room at the moment. What I want to know is the best way to hook this up?

I don't really have an option to run a hard phone line across the room as it crosses a hallway. I plan to dump my phone line so the only real problem is how to connect the scout via the rj11/HPNA when all my cat5 lines are in use?

It looks like this:

Modem/Router -> Gigabit Switch -> ooma hub --> RJ11 --> omma scout

Is there any way I can make the hub and scout go over the regular network like this?

Modem/Router -> Gigabit Switch -> ooma hub --> Gigabit Switch --> omma scout

I assume the rj11 HPNA will not work over an active gigabit cat5 connection?

If not then I need to use some wireless jack extension. Should I extend the phone line or the network?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Re: I only have one phone line how to install?

Post by Bobby B » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Hi juicy360,

I might be able to ask a colleague about this for more details -- but I'm pretty sure you cannot bridge HPNA over an existing Ethernet connection, although there are plenty of Ethernet to HPNA converters out there.

It is likely possible to run the HPNA over your existing cat5 wiring, if you have an rj11 plug, though I haven't tried to strip the wire and try the connection myself. This Yahoo! answers linkhas some additional connection details.

Are all your Ethernet jacks being used?

-Bobby
Bobby B

juicy360

Post by juicy360 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:24 pm

Yes I could convert it to rj11 I know how to do that. The problem I have is I only have one line going to the different locals. So even it I converted it to rj11 I would not have any way of sending that rj11 to the oma hub unless I convert 2 cat5 to rj11. Doing that would then kill my internet to the hub.

Short of running a hard line, I'm going to have to use some sort of wireless solution or omit the scout and phone line all together.

So what is the best option for that?
1) There are the standard rj11 wireless phone jacks that you plug into your outlets.
2) There are the same things but network versions (I think they are 85Mbs).
3) What about a "game adapter" that converts a regular ethernet connection to a wireless one?

Which of those would work best?
I'm guessing #3?

Bobby B
Ooma Moderator

Post by Bobby B » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Ah I see. If you converted two jacks to RJ11, you could try using homeplug units to carry your Internet connection to the ooma Hub. Homeplug units carry Ethernet signals over your home electrical wiring. These tend to work better than wireless as they're less prone to interference in most cases.
Bobby B