hook up in diff. room than cable dsl line?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
AmyQ
hook up in diff. room than cable dsl line?

Post by AmyQ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:10 am

I am wondering if it is posslbe to hook my Ooma Telo up in a different room than my cable modem DSL line come in through? I am having tremendous issues with Verizon and would like to tell them where to shove it and just use my cable modem. I am technologically illiterate so I apologize if this is an "easily" answered question.

lbmofo

Re: hook up in diff. room than cable dsl line?

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 am

Are you using a Ooma assigned number or using your own number that hasn't been ported yet?

If you are using your own number, you can use your Ooma anywhere you are going to power up your cable modem but your Ooma needs to be hooked up to a house phone wall jack.

If using Ooma assigned number, then you don't need house phone wall jack.

AmyQ

Post by AmyQ » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:51 pm

i have already ported my number over...i tried doing some research today and it looks like i can do it with a homeplug?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:43 pm

You can setup your ooma wherever you are gonna have the modem setup (wherever you have cable outlet). Maybe I am not understanding your question. Could you explain more?

AmyQ

Post by AmyQ » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:13 am

my cable outlet is in a room of the house that we don't use...i'd like to hook my telo up in a different room from the cable outlet. is this possible? would it work with the homeplug?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:32 am

Yes. It would work as 1 option. Info in here: http://ooma.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... ed%20setup

Or you can get one of these to hook into internet via your wifi signal. viewtopic.php?t=10208#p70445

EricJRW

Post by EricJRW » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:44 am

Homeplug (which I am assuming uses house wiring to put an Ethernet port in another room) or similar is one route. Certainly it is the easiest and I think I have read about (in the forums) similar devices being used, but personally I always recommend just running a piece of Cat-5 cable if you can. Here's a thread on powerline adapters and they seem to work fine:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1136&p=57437&hilit=homeplug#p57437
ooma hub with one scout (looking to add at least one more)
Premier Service (I was not expecting to do this, but I love the Premier features)
Panasonic KX-TG4024 (w/ 4 handsets)
Customer since November 2010
Internet access: FiOS 15/5