Netgear WNR3500L - HP WHS & Ooma = CONFLICT! :(

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
Rita
Re: Netgear WNR3500L - HP WHS & Ooma = CONFLICT! :(

Post by Rita » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks!!! With the factory reset it worked!!!! (I thought I did try it before.) I copied all the screen before I made any changes. I turned it off and tried it again, but I could get onto the internet??? Then I looked at the settings. With the reset/working option the Mac addresses are different. I wonder why it's giving me the same address.

Do you think it might be my Comcast DLink Modem that's messing things up?? I call Comcast and they say my modem is fine.

Original Settings
Internet Port
MAC Address C4….
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 192…

With reset
Internet Port
MAC Address 00:19…
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.

Internet Port
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:16 am

Rita wrote:Thanks!!! With the factory reset it worked!!!! (I thought I did try it before.) I copied all the screen before I made any changes. I turned it off and tried it again, but I could get onto the internet??? Then I looked at the settings. With the reset/working option the Mac addresses are different. I wonder why it's giving me the same address.

Do you think it might be my Comcast DLink Modem that's messing things up?? I call Comcast and they say my modem is fine.

Original Settings
Internet Port
MAC Address C4….
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 192…

With reset
Internet Port
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.

Internet Port
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.
You Internet provider uses dynamic IP addressing. That's why the ipconfig numbers wouldn't work. I had though you said in a previous post that your Internet provider used static IP addresses.

Dynamic IP addressing means that every time you reboot your modem and router, the IP number etc. that you receive from the Internet provider, and see in your router's WAN Basic page, can or will change. So you can see different IP addresses etc. in your Router Basic page every time you reboot the modem and router.

Below is Okay and what you want to see.
Rita wrote: With reset
Internet Port
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.

Internet Port
Lan Port
MAC Address C4…
IP Address 10.0.
Just for my Information, in the router Basic page, at the bottom in the Router MAC Address box, what Router MAC address did the Netgear Router Wizard choose?
The top selection?
The Second Selection?
Or the bottom Selection?

If you can access the Internet, don't change anything in your Router WAN Basic page. It's okay.

If you use Wi-Fi, setup your Wi-Fi security as shown in you Netgear Installation guide. If you don't setup Wi-Fi security in your router, other people can use you Internet connection through their Wi-Fi connection in their computer. This can cause your home Internet LAN to be very slow, and cause problems with your Ooma Telo.

Is your Ooma Telo working now?

Using the setup Modem-Router-Ooma, if you can access the Internet and the Ooma Telo is working, you could go over to the router's LAN settings page, NOT WAN Basic Page, don't change Basic page, LAN page and configure those setting like Aveamantium instructed.

Rita

Post by Rita » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks! I'm slowly learning through this great forum! I spent an hour on my cell phone with NetGear and they couldn't get me on the internet with NetGear.

The NetGear Setup wizard selected "Use Default Address"

After I factory reset, I am able to get on the internet. However, when I make a few changes, turn it off and on again, I can't get on the internet? Right now I'm back to DLink Modem > Ooma > Netgear Wireless N > My computer. I can get on the internet and my phone works--so I'm so relieved that I'm not in a crises mode currently.

The box is checked for Wi-Fi. Should I take it off? My kids have iTouches, I have a laptop that connect to our home network, and my son's compauter.

After the factory reset, here's what I'm changing. Would any of these cause me not to be able to get internet access?
-Change security to WP
-Type in number for Key 1
-Changed to Channel 11
-Change to 300 MbPs
-Change the name from NetGear to Home

Should the MAC Address by the same for Internet and Lan Port? They are the same when I reset.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Rita wrote:Thanks! I'm slowly learning through this great forum! I spent an hour on my cell phone with NetGear and they couldn't get me on the internet with NetGear.
Rita wrote: The NetGear Setup wizard selected "Use Default Address"
"Use Default Address" is good, and was what Aveamantium recommended.
Rita wrote: After I factory reset, I am able to get on the internet. However, when I make a few changes, turn it off and on again, I can't get on the internet? Right now I'm back to DLink Modem > Ooma > Netgear Wireless N > My computer. I can get on the internet and my phone works--so I'm so relieved that I'm not in a crises mode currently.
If everything is working with the Modem-Ooma-Router setup, leave it that way.

One thing that you probably should do is Update the router's Firmware. Updating the router's firmware will probably help with the Modem-Router connection.

Caution: Follow the Firmware update directions very, very carefully when you update the router's Firmware.

To update the router's Firmware is very easy, but you must pay close attention to the Instructions, or problems may occur.

I'd leave the connection Modem-Ooma-Router, but:
If you decide to try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma again, you may have to do a Netgear Factory Reset again. If you do this, don't make any changes after you have done the factory reset and established an Internet connection with the Netgear wizzard. Instead, restart you Modem and Router a few times to see if the connection to the Internet holds, or fails.
Rita wrote: The box is checked for Wi-Fi. Should I take it off? My kids have iTouches, I have a laptop that connect to our home network, and my son's compauter.
Leave the box checked for Wi-Fi.
Rita wrote: After the factory reset, here's what I'm changing. Would any of these cause me not to be able to get internet access?
-Change security to WP.......................Netgear recommends WPA-PSK + WPA2 (TKIP) -PSK (AES)
.................................................(I also use WPA-PSK + WPA2 (TKIP) -PSK (AES))
-Type in number for Key 1
-Changed to Channel 11......................Channel should be set to "Auto"
-Change to 300 MbPs.........................Mode should be set to "Up to 300Mbps"
-Change the name from NetGear to Home
I've added what Netgear recommends for security, and best settings for Channel and Mode.
Rita wrote: Should the MAC Address by the same for Internet and Lan Port? They are the same when I reset.
Don't worry about the Router's MAC address. Don't try to change it.

Rita

Post by Rita » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:07 pm

Initally I call NetGear. The tech person said I had to use WEP because I'm running Windows XP and Windows 7. With Vonage I was using WPA2 and didn't have ny problems. The tech also told me to set te channel to 11. I did not want NetGear soI changed it from NetGear to Home.

Thanks I'll make those changes.