Disconnect COX telephone & set up home distri

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
dchou4u
Disconnect COX telephone & set up home distri

Post by dchou4u » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 pm

Hi, I currently have COX telephone service. I set up my Ooma today using one of the phones and it works great. I eventually like to set up home distribution so that all phones in the house can use Ooma. After i port the COX telephone number over to Ooma and terminated my service with COX, do I have to physically disconnect any wires in the phone box outside the house?

Thanks

lbmofo

Re: Disconnect COX telephone & set up home distri

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:45 pm

If your cable phone service is currently powering your whole house and the cable guys did their work properly, then, they should have disconnected your house from the telephone company already. You can make sure though. Check this out: viewtopic.php?t=10553

dchou4u

Post by dchou4u » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:50 pm

Thanks for your input. I read the link you provided and my NIB looks the same as the one shown in the link. But I have 3 sets of wires. The first is white and blue, the second is white and orange, the 3rd I cannot remember.
Besides phone service, I also have COX internet service and cable TV service. I already cancelled the cable TV service. I intend to keep the COX internet service. Is the white and orange wires for the internet service?

I have not yet ported my original home number to Ooma and I like to test home distribution before I execute the port. Do I just disconnect the blue wire from the screw and test if I get Ooma dialtone on all jacks in the house?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

I would just leave the wires on the screws as you found them. Just unplug the modular plug and your house wiring would be isolated from the telephone company.

I think your cable box is already providing dialtone throughout the house? Is the cable phone box connected to a walljack? If so, just disonnect that and connect the walljack to Ooma's phone port instead. You should get Ooma dialtone everywhere like you got cable phone dialtone.