DSL issues

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: DSL issues

Post by lbmofo » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:20 pm

Uh oh that means ur plates are wired for only one pair. Take a look at other plates and see if wired for orange too. If so, you can try replicating. Otherwise, you'd need to do some research on Internet on how to wire up your plates with 2 pairs. You would just need 1 walljack wired with orange on L2 for the DSL modem.

RPinSC

Post by RPinSC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:06 am

Howdy IB,
I tried to get cable internet but the company said I was too far away from the line/node. That sure would have made life easier. I checked all the wall plates to see if the orange wires were connected, and none were. Is there an easy way to see if anything is on those orange wires at the box? Volt meter show anything?

ALSO, At the box, what would happen if I took a DSL filter splitter, and plug the box modular into the DSL side. Would that just give me DSL in the lines in the house, and then run Ooma phone line back into a wallplate.

Just a thought...
Ron

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:38 am

RPinSC wrote:Howdy IB,
I tried to get cable internet but the company said I was too far away from the line/node. That sure would have made life easier. I checked all the wall plates to see if the orange wires were connected, and none were. Is there an easy way to see if anything is on those orange wires at the box? Volt meter show anything?

ALSO, At the box, what would happen if I took a DSL filter splitter, and plug the box modular into the DSL side. Would that just give me DSL in the lines in the house, and then run Ooma phone line back into a wallplate.

Just a thought...
Ron
The only way to have DSL come into the house through the 2nd pair is by connecting up all the 2nd pair (orange) at your plates. The telephone wires in your house is supposed to be daisy chained. You don't need to connect the orange pair to the wall plate other than the one you plan to connect the DSL modem to.

lewis2979

Cable Vs. DSL ... any advantage in quality?

Post by lewis2979 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

Cable Internet OR DSL Internet?
Is there any advantage of one over the other;
as it relates to Ooma quality of service???

RPinSC

Post by RPinSC » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

For me, my DSL is costing about $45/month for 6Mbps, and I could get cable for $30/month at 12Mbps plus free modem, $50 gift card and no contract. But I live too far from the line/node :cry:

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:34 am

For Ooma, it doesn't matter what kind of high speed internet you get as long as wired. Also avoid the "lite" kind where your speed might be capped.
I chose cable internet because it is a lot faster than what I'd get with DSL even during peak hours.