Configuration ? for 2nd line

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
rlanza1054
Configuration ? for 2nd line

Post by rlanza1054 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi all,

First, I've gotten very fast responses in the forums and I want to thank those that answered my questions so quickly.

I purchased the new Ooma Telco Base Unit (Black)

I ported 2 lines over, I just didn't want to loose those numbers, especially my main number.

The porting went fine!

I purchased two Ooma Cordless Handsets to try out.

So far, I'm really not happy with the hardware of the Handsets:

1) I can't get the volume loud enough on either the earpiece or with the speakerphone settings. I have it turned up all the way.
2) I can't see the very dim lcd screen it's just too dark. Even with it adjusted as much as I can.
3) I can't read the lcd screen the lettering is just too small.
4) Battery life is crazy, either it's there for a good amount or all of sudden the battery dies. (maybe I have one of those bad handsets that people here have talked about, but how would I know).
5) I keep hitting the wrong buttons, maybe that's me, but that layout is stupid, you can't hit the menu button without hitting the up arrow. Why have the directional keys raised above the other keys, hence blocking you from the other keys. Also with the raised keys, the phone doesn't sit flat when you lay it down, hence hitting the directional keys.
6) No headset jack.
7) No talking caller-id (which is very important to me).
8) Should have included bluetooth in handsets. Because even though the bluetooth option works great, it has a short range from the base unit, so maybe if the handsets had a bluetooth option it might have been used to extend the range of your bluetooth device. (keep a handset nearby since you can't move the base unit in reality every time you move around your home).

OK, now that I vented about the handsets, here is what I what to accomplish because of the bad handsets:

I have two lines.

I want my main number to ring on all Ooma handsets, and the phone jack (which I have a Panasonic cordless hooked up to).

That works! So that I have answered.

I want my Panasonic phones (again, they are hooked up to the phone jack) to dial out as the second number, not my main number.

I tired to setup the system setting the phone jack to a FAX device or other device.

But in doing that, my main number will only ring on the bad Ooma handsets with all it's issues. I do love the 'go to voicemail' option and some of the other options. It's not the options that I am complaining about, it's the hardware.

So I want all incoming numbers to ring, I guess all phones.

I want outgoing to be main number on Ooma handsets, second number to be on phone jack.

Having the two numbers setup as 'shared' on the Ooma base unit (that's the picture in the setup page). All phones dial out as the main number.

I have heard (and got an answer tonight) that you can dail **# the number you want to use, but I think that only applies to the handsets. I'm not sure if you can do that from a phone hooked up the phone jack port?

And I really don't want to have to 'pre-dial' a code everytime I want to make a call.

Can any of this be done? I seem to be so close to getting it to do what I want.

I wish Ooma would add some interesting new features on what can be done with the handsets and phone jack port.

It really is only a software update that can provide some very detailed setups and controls that in my case I want.

Well, I don't have talking caller-id, but maybe a software upgrade can do that as well.

Thanks!

Rob

lbmofo

Re: Configuration ? for 2nd line

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:46 am

rlanza1054 wrote:I want outgoing to be main number on Ooma handsets, second number to be on phone jack.

The way to do this is to call Ooma customer service and have them swap your main number and secondary number's position. You can then assign the 2ndary number (your main number now) to your Telo (add Telo as your personal device). Then the 2ndary number will only ring what's connected to the phone port. Phones connected to your phone port will dialout using your 2ndary number. All your Telo handsets can be "shared" devices and your main number (your 2ndary number now) will ring all your Telo handsets. Telo handsets will dialout using the main number. I think this is what you want to do right?

I have heard (and got an answer tonight) that you can dail **# the number you want to use, but I think that only applies to the handsets. I'm not sure if you can do that from a phone hooked up the phone jack port?

You can do this with Telo handsets as well as regular phone(s) connected to the phone port.

Squee

Re: Configuration ? for 2nd line

Post by Squee » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:21 pm

I agree that the Telo Handset is disappointing. Overall cheap feel to it. And the lack of a headset port is a killer for me. It was "free" with a Premier subscription, which is good since it is pretty much worthless. May need to try the BT adapter so I can use Ooma hands-free.