My Ooma Telo does not have a "wall" jack

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lbmofo
Re: My Ooma Telo does not have a "wall" jack

Post by lbmofo » Wed May 04, 2011 10:20 pm

We'll see if one of the mods will shed some light.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

njarif wrote:On the bottom of the Telo, there is a label with P/N: 110-0106-100 and next to the Activation code there is label "Revision A". Can any one with a Telo that has a wall jack tell me the P/N and Revison code on their unit?

Thanks
My Telo is 110-0102-202 rev A. Purchased from Amazon in May 2010.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Wed May 04, 2011 10:30 pm

southsound wrote:I would assume that there are some hardware improvements in the new box
Now why would you assume that? Changes, yes, obviously. Improvements? Perhaps, if among "improvements" you count changes intended only to make it cheaper to manufacture. But I agree with you that "landline integration" was never a particularly useful feature and would be missed very little.

Of course, if this is an intentional cheapening of the product, they should have changed the manual and the advertising.

StevesWeb

Post by StevesWeb » Thu May 05, 2011 7:14 am

My Ooma Telo, also purchased recently from Amazon, does not have a wall jack.

Clearly this is an "improvement" in the form of cost reduction. Or maybe it is an upgrade? Wait, it's a new feature!

I was deeply puzzled by the documentation involving porting procedures, but since I am porting from Vonage (in progress) and I already have my Vonage account forwarded to my Ooma temporary number, it is a moot issue for me.

It might be a wise move to update the product documentation to reflect this new "feature".

As a former tech writer myself I can suggest starting by highlighting the references to the Wall jack and then using the famous cut function so loved by tech writers everywhere. On a Mac it's Command-X and on Winders it's Control-X.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 am

Clearly a part of the intent must be to reduce the manufacturing cost of the Telo -- to cheapen it a little.

As an engineer, I can't disapprove. As a Telo customer, I don't disapprove either. I'm one of many who always thought the landline integration feature was basically useless; probably I also said so; can't remember! But many have said that landline integration causes problems and ought to be eliminated.

Besides, I have seen several threads here from people seeking help, when their trouble was caused by using the WALL connector when they should have used the PHONE connector; usually when attempting to connect their house's telephone wiring to the Telo. Eliminating the WALL connector will make using the product less confusing for many people whose skills are in other areas.

Of course they should have changed the documentation, and maybe renamed the box slightly, say "Telo II" or something. Not doing so was a slip-up.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood » Thu May 05, 2011 8:19 am

nn5i wrote:will make using the product less confusing for many people whose skills are in other areas.
I like the way you put that :)

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu May 05, 2011 8:34 am

Hollywood wrote:
nn5i wrote:will make using the product less confusing for many people whose skills are in other areas.
I like the way you put that :)
My friends say I've mellowed with age. Not sure SouthSound would concur -- but he hadn't the happiness to know my earlier self.
Last edited by nn5i on Thu May 05, 2011 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

EA PA

Post by EA PA » Thu May 05, 2011 8:49 am

njarif wrote:Just purchased new Ooma Telo from Amazon and got it Apr 27 2011. I noticed that it came with "Phone" jack only and no "wall" jack as depicted in the documentation. Did I get an older model? Should I return it since I will not be able to use landline integration as a backup?

Thanks
Handbags, sneakers, and now OOMA (Knockoffs from some far away place in the east)? :?
Customer Since: 12/2010
Telecom Equipment: 1 Telo, 1 Handset, (4) Dect 6 Uniden DECT1580-4WXTPT
IN THE MONEY: 09/2011
Poor Legacy Carrier: Frontier

southsound

Post by southsound » Thu May 05, 2011 9:12 am

nn5i wrote:My friends say I've mellowed with age. Not sure SouthSound would concur -- but he didn't have the happiness to know my earlier self.
No, I fully understand. Many on the forum know that I had a raging drug problem in my past - I was an IV amphetamine user and have a clean date of October, 1972. The pain that caused me to use in those days came out in other ways when I stopped using. Anger and attitude were my solution to everything. If you saw me on the street you would cross over to avoid having to engage me. About 10 years ago I got fully involved with a great 12-step recovery program and am no longer the person I was. I'm still a work in progress but I have definitely changed for the better. Although I occasionally chide Carl, I count him among my favorite forum friends.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

nn5i

Post by nn5i » Thu May 05, 2011 9:17 am

southsound wrote:Although I occasionally chide Carl, I count him among my favorite forum friends.
Why, thank you, Robin. That goes both ways.