What if hub and router in different locations

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: What if hub and router in different locations

Post by thunderbird » Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 pm

mgianzero wrote:Okay. I did as described and it worked! It just takes a few minutes for the modem and then the router and then the hub to boot in sequence.

So why does Ooma describe the installation ONLY with the configuration of modem -> hub -> router when it's really easier and more versatile to connect it as modem -> router -> hub?

Then never even suggest that you can change the order by placing the hub after the router.
With the Ooma device connected Modem-Router-Ooma, sometimes for a few people, there are some Quality of Service issues that are caused by the router.

I think Ooma doesn't want to get involved in router configuration, since there are so many different router manufacutures and router models. (Although sometimes if you call Ooma Customer Support, they will suggest the Modem-Router-Ooma connection, if nothing else works).

Of coarse in the Ooma Forum, there are very few routers out there that Ooma Forum members hasn't owned and used with the Ooma device connected behind the router.

So it's easy to post in the Ooma forum requesting information about a certain setup, and there is always someone that can give very good advice.

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue May 31, 2011 1:40 am

While Option B is written for an integrated modem/router it implies that the Telo can be placed behind a standalone router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ateganda29

Post by ateganda29 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 am

Ok, I'm going to chime in on this discussion and hopefully someone can help me.

Right now, my set up is as follows: modem/wireless router > ooma > phone. My modem and wireless router are one device, my Ooma is connected to that, and my phone is connected to Ooma. I'm using Verizon FiOS internet. My question is I would like to spread the phone connection throughout the house but where I'm set up right now, there is no phone jack in that room. I read somewhere that in order to spread the phone line throughout the house, instead of Ooma connecting to a phone, connect Ooma to a wall phone jack provided that the phone line is physically detached from the phone box (or something of that sort). So because there is no phone jack where my devices (modem/wireless router and ooma) are, what can you suggest I do so I can move the Ooma device where it can plug to a wall phone jack? Thanks in advance.

Btw, my device is an Ooma Telo, as opposed to the Ooma Hub which the OP had.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:11 am

ateganda29 wrote:Ok, I'm going to chime in on this discussion and hopefully someone can help me.

Right now, my set up is as follows: modem/wireless router > ooma > phone. My modem and wireless router are one device, my Ooma is connected to that, and my phone is connected to Ooma. I'm using Verizon FiOS internet. My question is I would like to spread the phone connection throughout the house but where I'm set up right now, there is no phone jack in that room. I read somewhere that in order to spread the phone line throughout the house, instead of Ooma connecting to a phone, connect Ooma to a wall phone jack provided that the phone line is physically detached from the phone box (or something of that sort). So because there is no phone jack where my devices (modem/wireless router and ooma) are, what can you suggest I do so I can move the Ooma device where it can plug to a wall phone jack? Thanks in advance.
The best way is to extend a phone line from the existing home phone lines, to where your Ooma device is located.

The next best way is to route a network cable from your modem/router to a location where there is an existing home phone port.

The next thing you could do is to purchase another router, connect it in bridge mode to your existing router, located the new router and Ooma next to an existing home phone port.

Example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11665&hilit=bridge

In any event, before you connect your Ooma's phone port to the existing house phone wiring, you MUST disconnect the old phone provider phone line that comes in from the street, to the house. If you don't you could damage the Ooma device.