The Telephone Network Interface Box

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
TonyB
The Telephone Network Interface Box

Post by TonyB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:56 am

After doing a fair amount of reading here, it has become apparent that this box can be quite important during the install process, at least for some of us...

Here are a couple photos of mine that I thought I'd share for reference, and also to gain some further input / advice on my continued install...
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0143.JPG (236.62KiB)Viewed 12875 times
IMG_0144.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG (238.74KiB)Viewed 12876 times
In my previous home, I had what I believe is called a star configuration. That seems to be more desirable as opposed to all of the lines running into this box. But, this is what I have here...

I still have my landline, but want to end that once I can confirm all of the house phones and my DirecTV with TiVo work as hoped/expected, with a Ooma hub only. From what I read here, that is indeed possible; so I remain encouraged.

When one goes dry-loop DSL, does that require a truck roll out to the house, or is this simply a matter of some switching at the provider's location? I'd like to get everything working now, as desired, and not have to change things again once the phone company terminates the landline and sets me up with dry-loop DSL.

If there is way I can test and run this desired set-up as it will be with no landline and dry-loop DSL, kindly share.

Thanks much!

lohertz

Re: The Telephone Network Interface Box

Post by lohertz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:42 pm

TonyB wrote: When one goes dry-loop DSL, does that require a truck roll out to the house, or is this simply a matter of some switching at the provider's location?
No and no. Dry loop is a dsl connection or local loop connection without an associated phone number. It is merely done via computer at the provider level.
TonyB wrote: If there is way I can test and run this desired set-up as it will be with no landline and dry-loop DSL, kindly share.

Thanks much!
It depends on how much interference you experience with the ooma and your dsl line. by that I'm assuming your going to back end the ooma into your existing phone system. If its done with the scout you ma experience more problems, if you use the phone port, you will likely not exeperience any interference.

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I just got off the phone with Verizon, and no truck roll is needed. I had asked above... I'll be officially with DSL dry-loop on Monday. The broadband charge is lowered too, which is cool.

In another thread, tommies said:

"Or if you willing to open the demarc box and switching the dsl signal to line 2( remove the blue pair and substitute with the orange pair) you only need only one splitter for the dsl modem to connect to line 2. Everything is on line 1."

I'd like to do this, but I'm not certain exactly how. As can be seen in the 2nd photo above, I have green and green/white wires to my phone jacks. The blue & blue /white is for the TiVo, and Included with these. So, the DSL is one of the green & green /white ones...

What is meant by line 1 and 2?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Edit/Add: lohertz, I just saw your reply after I had posted this...

redial#

Post by redial# » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:46 pm

TonyB, from looking at the pix, the bottom 2 lines -orange and white- on the left side of the box seems like a dsl data line.
disconnect those two lines from the box and see if you still have a dial tone. you get nothing to loose.

if so, then the top 2 lines blue and whiteblue strips are the voice lines, those you may have to disconnect once ooma is hooked up the network to prevent any electric damage to the box.

please post back the result

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:27 pm

Thanks for offering to help redial#!

As you recommended, I disco'd the bottom two wires (orange & orange/white), and the internet still works AND I still have the landline.

As you can see, all of the house feeds go into one line, the middle one, that has the two black wires connected on the telephone company side. The pair I just disco'd goes to the bottom line...

For the heck of it, I also disco'd the top wires on the telco side - the blue ones, and I still have both the landline and DSL service.

Thoughts? Thanks much.

Also, I'll be at an electronics store tomorrow (probably Fry's), so if there is anything I might need to complete this project, kindly let me know...

redial#

Post by redial# » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 am

I think the wise thing to do for now is wait for the provider to stop their phone service and then try to see what wires are tx data.

good luck

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 am

I was thinking the same... Being the weekend though, I was hoping to address things now as I have more time. I'm contemplating the purchase of a, lack of a better descriptive, phone line union so I can do a star configuration under the house. Then just have the Ooma hub's phone port feed that...

Let me ask, is it highly odd that I still have landline and DSL service with the top and bottom pairs of wires disco'd as described above?

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:10 am

TonyB wrote:Let me ask, is it highly odd that I still have landline and DSL service with the top and bottom pairs of wires disco'd as described above?
It's not odd at all. You have three phone lines coming into your house. Two are dead and the third has DSL and phone on the same wires. That is the way that it is done if you don't have dry loop. That is the complication for ooma. The DSL signal must not get to the ooma wall jack or it will corrupt both services.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

TonyB

Post by TonyB » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:29 am

Thank you Murphy!

As I believe can be seen, there are two thick black cables from the telco feeding this box. One contains traditional looking colored phone wires, and those are the two that I just disco'd for this experiment. The other one has two normal looking wires, and those are obiously what's carrying the current DSL and landline services to our home...

I think I'll reconnect the wires I disco'd and wait until Monday. Oh well... Thanks for chiming-in and for the ideas.

lohertz

Post by lohertz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:30 pm

The middle black cord contains four wires in a std home set up. this black cord is what feeds the house. green, red = line 1 yellow, black = line 2.
In newer constuction you may run into 8 pair, in that case blue and blu/white is line one while org and org white are line 2.

What to do, for the wire that come into the house, at the NIB is move the telco's wires providing service to line 2 for your dsl. You will have to re-wire the jack or use a 2 line splitter to pick up line 2 for your DSL modem.

When using the scout or back feed the phone jack on ooma into the house line 1, you will not get any interference.