OOMA and ADT Safewatch Pro 3000EN

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Re: OOMA and ADT Safewatch Pro 3000EN

Post by murphy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:24 pm

ejs wrote:So I have been reading tons of posts on here about ADT alarms and ooma. I am running into a lot of the same problems as other posters. Could it be that I have a Telo instead of the hub?
The Telo is black and the hub is white.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ejs

Post by ejs » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Thank you. =) I did know the physical difference between the two, I am just wondering if there is software difference as well. I have been unable to get the Safewatch system to successfully send a test signal to ADT via ooma. I have tried *99, *98, and *70 in the *40 field. No success so far. That being said, the correct phone number IS showing up in the call log. But CS says they have not received a test signal yet. :cry:

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Have you tried without any dialing prefix?

If you can put a DSL filter before the Ooma dialtone gets to the alarm panel, try that and see.

You can also try (more expensive option, expensive especially when you don't know if it would help your cause) putting DSL filter at the alarm panel.

Excelsus Z-A431PJ31X-A

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-448- ... stems.aspx

CABLES UNLIMITED UTP-3275

http://www.frys.com/product/3783526

bsotak

Post by bsotak » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:56 am

Interesting. Might be worth trying that filter. I have had no success with any prefix (and yes, I tried no prefix first). I'm actually debating getting the ADT Cellular service. Even though it has a large out of pocket expense up front, the $11/mo and $4/mo for Ooma is still significantly cheaper than a land line and long distance service (or Comcast digital voice ... which DOES work with ADT). Really frustrating that Ooma doesn't work since I can make normal calls and I see the Ooma call log attempting to contact ADT, it just never works. Might try this. The fry's link won't load for me, but it might be the fry's site right now. Are they the same thing?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:08 am

Yes, the 2 links are the same kind of products. However, if you can put a regular dsl filter http://amzn.com/B000U37AZU in front of the panel (somewhere between Ooma and the alarm panel), try that.

ejs

Post by ejs » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Actually, I installed the alarm DSL filter first. Got one from radio shack so I can return it if it does not work :) I have not tried a regular DSL filter. I will go pick one up and give it a try. The other problem I ran I into is the line seizure. I did all the wiring as posted above, but the alarm is not interrupting a call in progress. Not sure what I have done there.... Could I rewire where ooma only has line 2 to the alarm and all the other phone jacks in the house are on Line 1???

Oh, and yes, I have tried without any prefix. When I pick up a handset to hear the call, I can hear it dial and subsequently connect to ADT, however, once connected there does not seem to be a handshake happening on my end, it just sends more digits. As if it is attempting to dial again.

Did any of y'all mess with *91? My manual says that when you are putting *70 into field *40, you must change *91 to 8 1 from 8 0.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 pm

ejs, sounds like your line seizure is not working correctly. If that's the case, you won't see these dial out attempts on my.ooma.com call logs. Is that right? You don't see them?

murphy

Post by murphy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:56 am

The Ooma phone port must be wired directly to the panel's input connection and no place else. The panel's output connection is used to feed the rest of the house. When the panel goes off hook to dial it should completely disconnect all of the phones in the house. You should not be able to listen to the call.

The panel communicates with the alarm receiver using various tones.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

ejs

Post by ejs » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 am

I am seeing the dial out attempts in the ooma log. Most last 18 seconds, some last a bit longer. None have gone past 34 seconds.
Murphy - can I do that by utilizing the orange and white/orange wires already in existence in the phone lines run throughout the house?
Per lbmofo's earlier post, I wired the NIB to have both the blue and orange on the same screw and the white/blue and white/orange on the same screw. Should I now ensure that all the phone jacks in the house are on the blue blue/white (L1) only??? In fact, the telephone cable coming to the office is newer than the other lines in the house. I could disconnect the L2 wires from the rest of the house in the NIB. Then the only L2 wires that would be connected to the L1 wires would be the ones coming from the ooma. In theory, the signal would then travel from the ooma to the NIB to the alarm panel and then onto the rest of the house. Is that correct?

The ooma is installed in the office of the house where the router is. (cable modem-ooma-router) The alarm panel is on the opposite side of the house in a closet. No cable outputs or cat 5 outputs exist in that location.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 am

ejs, if you see call log entries when alarm panel calls out, that means your line seizure is working properly.

My earlier post about connecting up 2nd pair to the 1st pair at the NIB is so that you can feed Ooma dialtone to the NIB via the 2nd pair then have the dialtone come back into the house on 1st pair. All house jacks should still be L1 so they can't interrupt alarm call outs (except, of course, where you feedback the Ooma dialtone via L2). This method seems to work since alarm panel cutting off lines when calling out doesn't seem to affect 2nd pair. If you have phones connected to the 2nd pair, then you'd be able to hear the alarm calling out for the duration but you shouldn't be hearing anything with phones connected to the 1st pair (should be cut off by alarm panel when calling out).

One thing to make sure....make sure you NIB is disconnected from the telephone company (the plug left of the screw terminals is unplugged?).