Wi-Fi Wireless USB Dongle adpater Report/Setup

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Wi-Fi Wireless USB Dongle adpater Report/Setup

Post by thunderbird » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:14 pm

Has anyone received and installed the new Ooma Telo Wi-Fi Wireless USB dongle Internet connection?

If you have, please report your successes or problems here.

Have you found that the use of the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi Wireless USB dongle Internet connection improves voice quality and/or shortens delay?
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thunderbird

Wi-Fi Ooma Telo USB Dongle Report/Setup Instructions

Post by thunderbird » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:19 pm

Ooma Telo Wi-Fi Wireless USB dongle Setup:
If this is a new Ooma Telo installation, you must go to My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/home/login , register and setup your account first. Reference https://www.ooma.com/app/support/activation-and-setup .

You must have full access (the Wi-Fi password, if there is one) to an operating Wi-Fi network before starting this procedure. For travelling, in addition to the instructions provided, you only need the have the Wi-Fi network name and that Wi-Fi network password, (if there is one), for the location where you are at. When you go into a hotel or restaurant, the desk or counter will usually provide that information.

If you have any special characters (use letters and numbers only) in the router's Wi-Fi SSID (name) or key (password), you may have to change them if you are having problems with the Wi-Fi login.

This procedure sets up the Ooma Telo so that you can quickly change from Ooma Telo wired Internet connection, to Wi-Fi Internet connection, by only unplugging the wired Internet connection to the Ooma Telo Internet port and doing a reboot. Going back to Ooma Telo wired Internet connection you only have to reconnect the wired Internet connection by plugging in the network cable into the Ooma Telo Internet port and doing a reboot. The Ooma Wi-Fi dongle can remain installed for either connection, but for the Wi-Fi Internet connection to become active, the wired Network cable must be disconnected from the Ooma Telo Internet port, and an Ooma Telo reboot is required.

Procedure One, Ooma Telo Wi-Fi Connection Method with network cable NOT connected to Ooma Telo Internet Port:
Obtain the Ooma Wi-Fi USB dongle and plug it into the Ooma Telo USB port. Temporarily connect one end of a network cable to the Ooma Telo Home port, and the other end to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if the computer’s Wi-Fi is turned on. Remove power from the Ooma Telo and the computer. Make sure there isn’t a Network cable plugged into the Ooma Telo Internet port. Re-power the Ooma Telo and computer. Let the Ooma Telo boot as far as it will boot. You probably will see the red Ooma symbol flashing. Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Firefox browser seems to work best. The Ooma Setup pages opens. Click on Internet at left side of page. Make sure that Connection type is set to Automatic. Click on the down arrow to see choices.
This step, Use Built In MAC Address, is optional if you only intend to use the Ooma Wi-Fi dongle for your Internet connection. But if you want to use both wireless and the wired internet connection, go down to Internet Port MAC Address: near the bottom of the page and Click on the Use Built In MAC Address button. Click on Update Device.
Next, click on the Wireless tab at left side of page.
The Ooma Setup Wireless tab won't show, unless there is a properly installed Ooma Wi-Fi Wireless dongle installed in the Ooma Telo USB port, or installed in a USB hub port that is connected to the USB Ooma Telo USB Port.

Note: for some users, there is a "bug" and the Signal Strength readings don't work. If the Signal Strength reading is seen as N/A, ignore it and continue.

Click on Scan for Networks. Another page opens showing the available networks. Click on the Network name button that you intend to use. Click on next. Add the Wi-Fi password and click on Add. The network that you choose should appear. Next reboot the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo should go through its boot cycle and finish with a solid blue Ooma symbol on the face of the Ooma Telo.

Note: When using some routers, you have to go back into the router and authorize access to the Internet for the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi connection, before the Red flashing Ooma symbol turns Blue.
Also if you are using WEP for the Wi-Fi security level in you router and you can't connect to the Internet, if possible, increase your Wi-Fi router security level. WPA2 is best.

If after following this procedure and the Ooma symbol on the face of the Ooma Telo remains flashing red and you have rebooted; go back into Ooma Setup, click on the Wireless tab, put a check mark in the box located before the network that you have selected and select Delete. Then Scan for Networks, click on the button in front of the Wi-Fi network you want to use, Add the Wi-Fi password and click on add. Reboot the Ooma Telo.

If this is the first time use for the Ooma Telo, you will have to wait up to an hour for the Ooma Telo to download the latest firmware updates. Test by listening to a phone connected to Ooma Telo Phone port. You should hear the Ooma dial tone.

Alterenate Procedure Two, Ooma Telo Wi-Fi Connection Method with network cable connected to Ooma Telo Internet Port:
An alternate way to set up your Wi-Fi Wireless connection to the Ooma Telo is to temporarily connect a network cable from a Router LAN port to the Internet port of the Ooma Telo. Make sure that the Ooma Telo Ooma Wi-Fi Wireless dongle is plugged into the USB port of the Ooma Telo. Make sure that a computer is connected to the Home port of the Ooma Telo, as instructed at the beginning of this procedure. Reboot the Router. Then reboot the Ooma Telo. Access Ooma Setup as instructed at the beginning of this procedure. Click on the Internet Tab and make sure Connection type is set to Automatic.
This step, Use Built In MAC Address, is optional if you only intend to use the Ooma Wi-Fi dongle for your Internet connection. But if you want to use both wireless and the wired internet connection, go down to Internet Port MAC Address: near the bottom of the page and Click on the Use Built In MAC Address button. Click on Update Device.
Click on the Wireless tab and follow the directions for the Wireless setup and instructed at the beginning of this procedure. When a Wi-Fi Wireless network is shown to be connected, disconnect the network cable from the Ooma Telo Internet port. Remove power and repower the Ooma Telo.

Note: When using some routers, you have to go back into the router and authorize access to the Internet for the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi connection, before the Red flashing Ooma symbol turns Blue.

If after following this procedure and the Ooma symbol on the face of the Ooma Telo remains flashing red and you have rebooted; go back into Ooma Setup, click on the Wireless tab, put a check mark in the box located before the network that you have selected and select Delete. Then Scan for Networks, click on the button in front of the Wi-Fi network you want to use, Add the Wi-Fi password and click on add. Reboot the Ooma Telo.

If this is the first time use for the Ooma Telo, you will have to wait up to an hour for the Ooma Telo to download the latest firmware updates. Test by listening to a phone connected to Ooma Telo Phone port. You should hear the Ooma dial tone.

Wi-Fi Invisible Network:
If you are using Wi-Fi Invisible, Visibility Status : in your Router, you may not see your Wi-Fi network when scanning for Wi-Fi networks. In that case you have to manually enter the Wi-Fi network name, security setting, and password. Start by accessing Ooma Setup, Wireless, Scan for Networks, but don’t click on any network radio buttons. Instead just click on Next. The nest page that opens has blanks to fill in with your Router Wi-Fi information.

Wi-Fi Security:
WPA2 does work for most routers, but if it doesn’t for your router, for testing, go into your Router and change the security level to WPA. Then go through the Wi-Fi connection process again. If that doesn’t work, go into your router and temporarily turn off Wi-Fi security to see if you can establish a Wi-Fi connection. Then go through the Wi-Fi connection process again. Make sure your Router firmware is up to date. It is important that if you can’t connect to your Router’s Wi-Fi, that you report this problem to, Ooma Customer Support, along with the Router brand, model number and firmware version.

Wi-Fi Password:
The Ooma Telo can take up to a 32 Character password for the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle Adapter. But at this time you can only see 18 keystrokes being entered. Continue to enter the entire password, even though you can’t see it being entered in the Wireless password box. The Ooma Telo will accept the entire password.

Ooma Setup Access Setup Procedure Using Wi-Fi:
If you want to access Ooma Setup without having to connect a computer to the Ooma Telo Home port, do the following. Reserve an IP address in the computer, with a permanent lease, for the Ooma Telo. With a computer temporarily connected to the Ooma Telo Home port with a network cable, go to the Ooma Setup Advanced page and add a check mark to the Allow access to web interface from WIRELESS port box. Click on Update.
The IP address that you reserved for the Ooma Telo, is the address that you will type into the computer browser window to access Ooma Setup. Example: http://192.186.12.134 or the IP address that you assigned to the Ooma Telo in your router. Note: When using a Wi-Fi wireless Ooma Telo Internet connection, you can not use a static IP address added to the Ooma Setup Internet page.

Ooma Telo Quality of Service Settings:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

More Ooma Wi-Fi dongle Information locations:
https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-wireless-adapter
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-t ... dapter-faq
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 34 times in total.

Dieterman

Re: Wi-Fi Ooma Telo USB Dongle Report/Setup Instructions

Post by Dieterman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:50 am

I have successfully installed the Wi-Fi Ooma Telo USB Dongle. The procedure as described in the Quick Start Guide is confusing. If the instructions you posted were in the the Quick Start Guide, things would have been much easier. Using "http://setup.ooma.com" did not work, bu using "http://172.27.35.1" did. A friend of mine installed his Dongle a day after me and he ran into the same issues. Call quality is excellent and we are not experiencing any lag.
We both purchased the Wi-Fi Ooma Telo USB Dongle, so that we can use the Ooma over any Wi-Fi accessible network while on the road. Those instructions were on line during the initial offering, but are not anywhere to be found now. Can you post the procedure for connecting to a Wi-Fi network that doesn't have access to the router?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:53 am

Detailed Instructions for How to connect and Ooma Telo to a Wi-Fi or Wireless Network Through a Computer.
Required Equipment: Wi-Fi or Wireless capable Computer, an Ooma Telo, a network cable, and a Phone.

Establish a Wi-Fi or Wireless connection in the computer with the Hotel, Restaurant, or to any Wi-Fi or Wireless signal. You must have access to the Name and Password of the Wi-Fi network or have Wireless access in your computer.

The following procedure is for Windows XP. Other Windows operating system setups are similar.
Remove power from the Ooma Telo. Connect a network cable from the computer’s wired LAN port, to the Ooma Telo Internet port. Repower the Ooma Telo and let it reboot to the Red flashing Ooma symbol.

The next steps are accomplished in the computer.
Right click on the My Network Places icon or shortcut. (Network Connections may be also found in the Control Panel folder). The Network Connections window opens. In the Network connections window that opened, go to the upper menu, click on View and select “Tiles”. Next make sure that only “Local Area Connection” and the Wireless Connection icon (The Wi-Fi or Wireless connection that was previously just established) shows Enabled. Disable any other Network Connections icons that may be found, if any, in the Network Connections window by right clicking on the icon, and left clicking on Disable.
Go back to the Wireless Connection icon (The Wi-Fi or Wireless connection that was established previously) and right click on that icon. In the window that opens, left click on properties. The Wireless Network Connection Properties window opens. At the top of the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, click on the Advanced tab. Under Internet Connection Sharing, put a check mark in the box in front of: Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection. Click on Okay. Wait for a short period of time while the computer configures itself.
The Ooma Telo symbol should turn blue. But if it doesn’t turn blue within a short period of time, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Then repower the Ooma Telo.

Reset if Required:
If the Ooma Telo symbol still doesn’t turn blue within a short period of time, right click on the Wireless Connection icon (The Wi-Fi or Wireless connection that was established previously). In the window that opens, left click on properties. The Wireless Network Connection Properties window opens. At the top of the Wireless Network Connection Properties window, click on the Advanced tab. Under Internet Connection Sharing, remove the check mark in the box in front of: “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”. Click on Okay. Wait a short period of time for the computer to configure itself.
When the computer is done configuring itself, go back and under Internet Connection Sharing, put a check mark in the box in front of: “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”. Click on Okay. The Ooma symbol should turn blue. But if it doesn’t turn blue within a short period of time, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Then repower the Ooma Telo. The Ooma Telo symbol should turn blue.

From my experience, I’ve never had to repeat the connection process more than twice, and it usually works the first time without rebooting the Ooma Telo.

Information:
During the procedure above Windows will change the setting from Automatic in the computer’s Local Area Connection, and automatically add a Static IP address, usually 192.186.0.1. Later if you want to use the computer with a network cable connected from the computer’s wired LAN port to your modem, router or etc. to access the Internet, you have to change the computer’s Local Area Connection setting back to the Automatic setting.
This is done by right clicking on My Network Places, and left clicking on properties. Next right click on the Local Area Connection icon, and left clicking on Properties. In the window that opens, under “This connection uses the following items:” scroll down to “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)”. With the mouse highlight, but don’t uncheck, the “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)” line. Then click on the Properties button below. Click on “Obtain an IP address automatically”. Click OK below. Click on Ok in the next window.
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

ckaboose

Post by ckaboose » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:35 pm

I was finally able to find time yesterday to install the USB Wireless dongle. I followed the alternate connection method posted by Thunderbird since that's how I had my Ooma configured. Everything went smoothly up to selecting "Use Built in MAC Address" (The Telo had the option above that originally set), and clicked Update Device. When I did the next step "Click Wireless Tab", I got an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage error". The setup page (http://172.27.35.1) from this point on couldn't be reached by the browser. The funny thing is I can ping the IP, I can browse websites on the internet; I can make and get calls but cannot get to the Ooma Management/Setup page.

I have done a factory reset of the Ooma Telo (Dialing *#*#099 on a phone attached to the Telo) multiple times; rebooted (power-off/power-on) the modem, router, then Ooma; connected Ooma directly to the modem and none of these worked to try and get it to a state where the setup page could be reachable again.

Note the laptop's wireless antenna was switched off manually from the start to make sure that I was connecting to the Ooma Telo via wired connection.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated
Customer since: 07/30/2011
Hardware: Ooma Telo with 2 Handsets
Setup: Motorola SB-6121 Cable Modem -> ZyWALL 2 Plus Firewall -> Ooma Telo (hardwired on WLAN segment)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 pm

ckaboose:
Try an Ooma Telo reboot after selecting Use Built In MAC address and Updating device, or Skip over the Step Use Built In Mac Address until the Wi-Fi connection is established, and try using Firefox webb browser.

ckaboose

Post by ckaboose » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:44 pm

I can no longer get to the setup page with any browser. Srry I forgot to mention that. I've tried firefox, Chrome, MSIE. None work.
Setup: Motorola SB-6121 Cable Modem -> ZyWALL 2 Plus Firewall -> Ooma Telo (hardwired on WLAN segment)

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:46 pm

ckaboose wrote:I can no longer get to the setup page with any browser. Srry I forgot to mention that. I've tried firefox, Chrome, MSIE. None work.
Use the alternate method of connecing, using the network cable from a Router LAN port to the Inernet port of the Ooma Telo. Reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo.

How far does the Ooma Telo boot when using the alternate method?

ckaboose

Post by ckaboose » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 pm

thunderbird wrote:Use the alternate method of connecing, using the network cable from a Router LAN port to the Inernet port of the Ooma Telo. Reboot the Router. When the Router is done booting, reboot the Ooma Telo.

How far does the Ooma Telo boot when using the alternate method?
That's how it's configured now. Modem -> Router -> Ooma -> Laptop (all wired connections). Ooma boots all the way and fully functional except getting to the setup page. I've even tried Modem -> Ooma -> Laptop (all wired conenctions), Ooma boots all the way and fully functional except getting to the setup page as well.

[Edit] I've got a feeling the web service on the Ooma Telo is hosed...
Last edited by ckaboose on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Have you tried removing the Wi-Fi dongle, rebooting the Ooma Telo, then trying to access Ooma Setup?

Are you able to access http://www.google.com?
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.