trouble with integrated router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: trouble with integrated router

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 am

cinazu wrote:Well, my husband just informed me that Time Machine is actually acting as our router, not the AT&T modem we got. I haven't tried your other fixes yet, but would this change how I would try to do the setup? There are several ports on the back of the time machine. Would I just follow the regular instructions for a non-integrated setup?

I'm hoping this explains why it never worked!
Starting from the wiring coming in from the street, list the following:
Are you using Cable or DSL Internet Service?
What is the Modem brand and number of your Modem?
What is the Router brand and model number of Your Router?
Is The Apple Time Machine third or forth Generation?
List in order how you have your setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?
Are you using a Modem/Router and the Apple Time Machine?
If you are also using a Modem/Router, list the Modem/Router Name and Model number?

Regardless of how you have things connected, make these changes to your Ooma Telo, Ooma Setup pages:

First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
Access the Ooma Setup Advanced page. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 90% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .9 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

cinazu

Post by cinazu » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:48 am

Starting from the wiring coming in from the street, list the following:
Are you using Cable or DSL Internet Service? DSL Internet
What is the Modem brand and number of your Modem? Motorola 2210-02-1ATT
What is the Router brand and model number of Your Router? Time Capsule 1TB
Is The Apple Time Machine third or forth Generation? not sure
List in order how you have your setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma? Modem-Ooma-Router
Are you using a Modem/Router and the Apple Time Machine? It's just a modem, and the Time capsule is also the router
If you are also using a Modem/Router, list the Modem/Router Name and Model number?

Once I reset it up knowing that the Time Capsule is the router, ooma is working fine, and the wireless speed is great. My only concern now is that the green light on the capsule is now blinking orange, which I assume means it's not connecting to the network to back up our computers. I haven't tried setting it up modem-router-ooma using the time capsule as the router, should I try that first?

Thanks for all your help. I feel like an idiot not realizing Time capsule was the router.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:52 am

cinazu wrote:Starting from the wiring coming in from the street, list the following:
Are you using Cable or DSL Internet Service? DSL Internet
What is the Modem brand and number of your Modem? Motorola 2210-02-1ATT
What is the Router brand and model number of Your Router? Time Capsule 1TB
Is The Apple Time Machine third or forth Generation? not sure
List in order how you have your setup, Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma? Modem-Ooma-Router
Are you using a Modem/Router and the Apple Time Machine? It's just a modem, and the Time capsule is also the router

Once I reset it up knowing that the Time Capsule is the router, ooma is working fine, and the wireless speed is great. My only concern now is that the green light on the capsule is now blinking orange, which I assume means it's not connecting to the network to back up our computers. I haven't tried setting it up modem-router-ooma using the time capsule as the router, should I try that first?

Thanks for all your help. I feel like an idiot not realizing Time capsule was the router.
The yellow blinking light means the capsule is seeing a double NAT. It is of no concern. It is doing what it should do. There is a way to disable the yellow blinking light, but you'd have to look in your Apple Time Capsule manul to find out.