Low Volume on Landline config

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
benriga
Low Volume on Landline config

Post by benriga » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:33 am

I just got off the phone with Ooma customer care and have now confirmed that my installation won't work due to a bug (bug 9538). My Ooma needs to be landline config but the volume on Ooma is way too low to be usable when in that mode. The person I spoke to on the line said that the bug had been open for several months but had no indication of when it might get fixed.

Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone have more details as to when that bug might get fixed?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth waiting for this to get fixed or whether I should look for another option (Vonage, Comcast, PhoneGnome etc).

Thanks,
Ben

thunderbird

Re: Low Volume on Landline config

Post by thunderbird » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:37 am

benriga wrote:I just got off the phone with Ooma customer care and have now confirmed that my installation won't work due to a bug (bug 9538). My Ooma needs to be landline config but the volume on Ooma is way too low to be usable when in that mode. The person I spoke to on the line said that the bug had been open for several months but had no indication of when it might get fixed.

Is anyone else having this issue? Anyone have more details as to when that bug might get fixed?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth waiting for this to get fixed or whether I should look for another option (Vonage, Comcast, PhoneGnome etc).

Thanks,
Ben
What is your other phone service name that you are using besides Ooma?

Do you have an Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo?

Are you trying to feed the Ooma dial tone through out your home?

benriga

Post by benriga » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:59 pm

>>> What is your other phone service name that you are using besides Ooma?

I only have AT&T for landline service (and Comcast for ISP)

>>> Do you have an Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo?

Ooma Telo

>>> Are you trying to feed the Ooma dial tone through out your home?

Yes. I need to keep my landline service as we get frequent pwer failures and would like to maintain phone srevice during those.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:46 am

benriga wrote:>>> What is your other phone service name that you are using besides Ooma?

I only have AT&T for landline service (and Comcast for ISP)

>>> Do you have an Ooma Hub or Ooma Telo?

Ooma Telo

>>> Are you trying to feed the Ooma dial tone through out your home?

Yes. I need to keep my landline service as we get frequent pwer failures and would like to maintain phone srevice during those.
Some time ago Ooma has discontinued the manufacture of the Wall Phone port on the back of the Ooma Telo. So I suspect that Ooma will probably never fix the bug.

At this point you probably have a phone cord routed between a House Wall Jack and the Wall phone port on the back of the Ooma Telo?

When you plug a phone into the Phone port on the back of the Ooma Telo, is the volume level normal when listening and talking on that phone?

There seems to be no good salutation for your problem.

You could disconnect the Wall phone cord, and have Ooma issue your Ooma Telo a regular phone number so that the Ooma device could function on its own. Then just use a phone plugged into the Ooma Telo Phone port.

If you wanted to go to the effort to route the Ooma dial tone throughout the house, you could do the following:
Take out one phone jack out of a house wall receptacle and see if there are a spare set of wires in the phone cables that are routed throughout the walls. There should be at least two wires connected to two terminals on the back of the jack. If the phone line is jumpered to the next jack, than more that one pair of phone wires will be connected to the same two phone jack terminals. If so, than you could put in double phone jacks at each location in your house. Connect the ATT phone wires (currently connected pair of wires) to one jack. Connect the spare set of wires to the second jack. With this setup, you could place two phones at each home phone jack location. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/bellsouth ... Schematics

Another way is to go to each phone jack and connect the second set of wires to each phone jack throughout the house. In this configuration, four jack wire terminals would have wires connected at each jack. At the location where the Ooma Telo phone port would feed the whole house, the phone jack wire pairs would have to be crossed so that the Ooma phone signal would feed the line 2 wires. Example http://www.wire-your-phones.com/ Then a phone that has a line 1 & line 2 function (buttons) could be used. Line 1 would be ATT and line 2 would be Ooma.

benriga

Post by benriga » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 am

That seems very complicated and in the end I'd have 2 different phone lines at every location and would be constantly having to choose between one and the other. I'm pretty sure I could do the wiring as I pulled all the existing cable myself. I'm also pretty sure that would not pas the WAF test. :(

Interesting that the customer care rep never mentioned that the bug would never get fixed. I'll have to have another conversation with them to clear that up.

Thanks for the help and support,
Ben