Not all my outlets are carrying the Ooma Dialtone

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
zincmann
Re: Not all my outlets are carrying the Ooma Dialtone

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:54 am

Actually it appears all jacks 5 of them on the second floor inclusive of my home office are dead. I was just saying that all I really need working is my home office one. But i will check each one for a loose connection. Again this outlet WORKED when I had phone service prior to OOma

murphy

Post by murphy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:38 pm

If they are all dead I would be inclined to think that the feed point of the run is disconnected.
The question is does this run go direct to the feed point OR does it connect to a jack on the first floor?

The original concept of daisy chaining was to leave the feed point and hit every jack in the house.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:46 pm

See thats a hard question to answer. Im almost at the point of buying an extra handset for my 6.0 Dect system and getting rid of my phone and fax system altogether who the heck faxes anymore? But seriously I am perplexed. If you look at my one outside pic of the Demarc box there are TWO Beige quad cables coming into it FROM The house and one New Cat 5 cable going into the house into my basement into the junction box. So I am at a loss...and again I want to thank you for your help...but i dont think checking my outlets up here would be the cause if they are all out.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Well I have moved my base fax machine to the basement to where there IS a working outlet and Kept my satellite phone from that system in my office, Whalla, dial tone. Not what I wanted but will suffice.

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:09 pm

zincmann wrote:Well I have moved my base fax machine to the basement to where there IS a working outlet and Kept my satellite phone from that system in my office, Whalla, dial tone. Not what I wanted but will suffice.
Zincmann: You give up to easy. ;)

A cheap multimeter is a very useful tool to use for trouble shooting.

One last thing to try:
I'm wondering that since before you started using the Ooma Telo, all home wall jacks functioned properly and had dial tone; if some one had wired the second floor phone feed cable, to pick up the dial tone ahead of or on the street side of the Demarc Box Universal Line Module.
If you can follow the phone cable that comes in from the street, into the Demarac Box, and see if it just plugs in some where in the Demarac box. If does, tag the cable as to where it is connected, then unplug the cable coming in from the street and stow it. Then switch the Universal Line Module switch back to the On position and see if you get Ooma dial tone on your second floor phone jacks.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Oh I wasnt giving up lol I just needed a phone solution and couldnt wait any longer, was going to keep on trying. So you are saying, so I understand it, I need to locate the Cat 5 cable that comes in from the street box which is in a small green metal post box sitting between my neighbors house and mine, and essentially disconnect it since I know it is connected to that Universal Line Module so that would actually disconnect the potential of any Phone service to utilize the Demarc box unless those wires are plugged in again correct?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:47 pm

zincmann wrote:Oh I wasnt giving up lol I just needed a phone solution and couldnt wait any longer, was going to keep on trying. So you are saying, so I understand it, I need to locate the Cat 5 cable that comes in from the street box which is in a small green metal post box sitting between my neighbors house and mine, and essentially disconnect it since I know it is connected to that Universal Line Module so that would actually disconnect the potential of any Phone service to utilize the Demarc box unless those wires are plugged in again correct?
No I wouldn't disturb the green metal box. I would look for the feed from the street in the Demarc box. If the street feed is just connected to a plug or even individual wires, located in the Demarc Box, that can easily be disconnected, identify the wires as to where the wires are attached, tag them, then disconnect them from where ever they are attached in the Demarc box. Then I'd try switching the Universal Line Module switch back on. The see if there is dial tone on the second floor of your house.

zincmann

Post by zincmann » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:02 pm

No I was only referencing the green box saying that was where ours was located, however I was saying there is the black wrapped cable that is underground that runs up into the Demarc box underneath and from that box, there is the newer Cat 5 cable that has the blue and white/blue wires into that Universal Line Module Switch the tips being in some petroleum jelly into those little orange clips IN The ULM.