Connecting Ooma to FAX

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Connecting Ooma to FAX

Post by thunderbird » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 pm

RJCFlorida:
You misunderstood me. You already said the device works now since Ooma made changes on their side, but you can't make regular phone calls now.
I wanted you to make a nomal outbound test phone call with a normal phone using either prefix *96 or *98 in front of the phone number. Then report back here if it worked or not.

RJCFlorida

Post by RJCFlorida » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 am

I am really not very technical so I apologize in advance for being confused, also I do appreciate your help as I dont get anywhere with tech support.
I called out using *98 and was able to dial but no one can hear me speak in the phone. I tried * 68 and it goes to busy signal before I finish dialing. I only have the phones that are hooked up to ooma as I dont have a landline or any phone company. I have comcast cable only.
If you can have 2 phone numbers on ooma couldnt the one number be force faxes from ooma and the other just left as a phone? Is that possible?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:35 am

RJCFlorida wrote:I am really not very technical so I apologize in advance for being confused, also I do appreciate your help as I dont get anywhere with tech support.
I called out using *98 and was able to dial but no one can hear me speak in the phone. I tried * 68 and it goes to busy signal before I finish dialing. I only have the phones that are hooked up to ooma as I dont have a landline or any phone company. I have comcast cable only.
If you can have 2 phone numbers on ooma couldnt the one number be force faxes from ooma and the other just left as a phone? Is that possible?
If you are new to Ooma, you have Premier Service free tail for two months. So you could go in and test things out. https://www.ooma.com/premier

You can go into My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/ , and set up the second line that goes with Premier Service. Then you should be able to make and receive calls using the other line.

You can go to this page https://www.ooma.com/app/support/faxing-ooma#anchor-1 , and go to "Using your fax machine on a dedicated line" (in your case the "The communicator" instead of fax machine), and see how things are set up and what you need to make this happen.

kenwood

Post by kenwood » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:23 pm

I have both fax and phone connected to ooma via a phone jack splitter. I tried both *99 and *98 to fax. In both cases, it seems the connection is established, and it looks like the machine is trying to send the fax over. After a minute, nothing gets sent and the connection dropped. Any other way to work around this problem?

oomamaniacal

Post by oomamaniacal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:39 pm

kenwood wrote: I tried both *99 and *98 to fax.
This thread was active back when the star 99 code was needed to force a fax call, but that is no longer the case.
Premier Subscriber
Telo One with Four Linx Devices
Google Voice Extensions

avta

Post by avta » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:04 am

I was able to send and receive faxes using Ooma Telo behind router and using a splitter on the phone jack line. Although most recommend not using the auto phone/fax setting ( the fax machine decides what the incoming call is ) I found this is what worked for me. I have a Canon MP 530 multifunction machine. I set the baud rate at 9600 for sending and receiving, reduced the number of rings to activate fax to 2 and turned off Error Correction Mode. I wasn't expecting it to work but it did. I used the web site fax zero.com which allows free sending of faxes.

sabretooth02

Post by sabretooth02 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:50 am

Here is some information.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissue ... evices.htm

Most printers have a setting, Basic or Normal. Basic (as in Brother printers), set baud rate to 9600, disables ECM and black and white only.

Check your fax machine to see if it has this setting.