Connecting Ooma to FAX

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
neoflyer
Connecting Ooma to FAX

Post by neoflyer » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:37 pm

My printer/FAX machine is connected wirelessly to my network. I have it connected to my phone line also. Now that I have Ooma with Telo connected wirelessly to my network can I get faxes over the network? If so how do I set it up?

Could I keep the FAX machine connected to the phone jack and then connect the Ooma to the phone jack in another room? I'd still rather do it wirelessly.

thunderbird

Re: Connecting Ooma to FAX

Post by thunderbird » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:26 am

neoflyer wrote:My printer/FAX machine is connected wirelessly to my network. I have it connected to my phone line also. Now that I have Ooma with Telo connected wirelessly to my network can I get faxes over the network? If so how do I set it up?

Could I keep the FAX machine connected to the phone jack and then connect the Ooma to the phone jack in another room? I'd still rather do it wirelessly.
Faxing with using the Ooma device historically has been difficult. Keeping that in mind, I would keep the Ooma Telo as close to the Fax machine, as possible, and use a phone line between the two. Using a phone line splitter should be acceptable. The next best solution would be to connect to a house wall jack in the next room. But make sure that the Old phone service coming in from the street is disconnected, from the home's phone wiring, before you connect a phone cord from your Ooma Telo phone port, to the home's wall jack. Otherwise damage to the Ooma Telo could occur.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:13 am

If u connect your Ooma to your router, your wireless printing should work as usual. When faxing out, dial *99 first.

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 am

lbmofo wrote:If u connect your Ooma to your router, your wireless printing should work as usual. When faxing out, dial *99 first.
I've found that the *98 prefix seems to work better and more consistently for faxing than the *99 prefix.
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:15 am

+1 *98 over *99, but try them both. The one that works most reliably is the right one for you. :)
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

neoflyer

Post by neoflyer » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:37 pm

lbmofo wrote:If u connect your Ooma to your router, your wireless printing should work as usual. When faxing out, dial *99 first.
Do you mean connect the Ooma by wire to the router? That won't work for me. I must have the Ooma in the room with my base phone device which is a different room from where the router and printer/FAX machine. That's the reason I purchased Ooma with Telo.

What is the purpose of *99?

Cyberchat

Post by Cyberchat » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:24 pm

neoflyer wrote:
Do you mean connect the Ooma by wire to the router? That won't work for me. I must have the Ooma in the room with my base phone device which is a different room from where the router and printer/FAX machine. That's the reason I purchased Ooma with Telo.

What is the purpose of *99?
Here's an extract from an OOMA document which lists out the star codes they support:

" ..... Your Ooma device supports standard star codes that you may have used in the past. We’ve also introduced a few new codes for Ooma-specific functions. See the chart below for a list of star codes that Ooma supports:

*67 - Block outgoing caller-id for this phone call
*69 - Redial last incoming phone number
*70 - Disable call-waiting tone for this phone call
*82 - Send outgoing caller-id for this phone call
*96 - Use low-bandwidth codec (iLBC) for this phone call
*98 - Use high-bandwidth codec (G711) for this phone call
*99 - Optimize phone call for fax transmissions
*#483 - Access Google Voice voicemail (when Google Voice Extensions is configured)
*#*#001 - Speak the version of software
*#*#099 - Factory reset the Ooma Telo (warning: deletes all configuration)
*#*#191 - Clears all handset registrations
*#*#298 - Force configuration sync with Ooma servers
*#*#501 - Enable Bluetooth discovery mode for 2 minutes (Bluetooth Adapter)
*#*#511 - Toggle key press sound effects on/off
...."
First year: Modem-->OomaTelo-->Router
Now: Modem-->Router-->OomaTelo
Ooma Premier, two phone numbers
Ooma Handset
AT&T DECT-6.0 two-line base with four remotes & headset

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:22 am

If it's not feasible for you to run ethernet cable yourself and you don't want to have it installed, then you can purchase the WiFi adapter or you can use Home Plug. Direct ethernet cable will be a problem free connection if it's done right. My Telo is only 50 feet from my router on my first floor. I have access to my basement ceiling space, so running a dedicated line was simple. The cable with finished connectors was $12 from a local satellite supply shop.

Try *98 first for FAX and if it doesn't work, then try *99.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:36 am

neoflyer wrote:
Sorry, what I said does seem confusing. For most people's setup, wireless printing should work no matter how they setup Ooma. 1 example where wireless printer wouldn't work: 1 computer connected directly to Ooma home internet port can not print to the wireless printer that's connected to router that's upstream from Ooma. For your situation, wireless printer should work fine.

araknis

Post by araknis » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:48 pm

*99 used to work for me, but I've been having problems after I moved down the street (same modem/router/fax machine/cable internet service). I wanted to try *98 as per the suggestions, but I just get a fast busy signal after dialing *98. Any ideas?