No dial tone on handset.

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
johnboat40
No dial tone on handset.

Post by johnboat40 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:04 pm

After a somewhat sporadic beginning, my handset not longer would get a dial tone. I tried reregistering the handset and finally called the Ooma support people. They guided me through a series of tests and they finally determined that my handset needed replacing. I have received the replacement, registered it, and it also will not get a dial tone. The display indicates that it registered properly to the Telo but that is the end of it. I now suspect that the handset is not the problem (unless I was sent an equally defective replacement). Has anyone had a similar problem and am I doing something incorrectly?
It should be noted that I have some Uniden wireless units tied to a Uniden answer machine base that are working properly.

thunderbird

Re: No dial tone on handset.

Post by thunderbird » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm

johnboat40 wrote:After a somewhat sporadic beginning, my handset not longer would get a dial tone. I tried reregistering the handset and finally called the Ooma support people. They guided me through a series of tests and they finally determined that my handset needed replacing. I have received the replacement, registered it, and it also will not get a dial tone. The display indicates that it registered properly to the Telo but that is the end of it. I now suspect that the handset is not the problem (unless I was sent an equally defective replacement). Has anyone had a similar problem and am I doing something incorrectly?
It should be noted that I have some Uniden wireless units tied to a Uniden answer machine base that are working properly.
First, do you hear the Ooma dial tone when you have a corded phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port?
If you don't hear the Ooma dial tone, remove power from the Ooma Telo. Then repower the Ooma Telo and check for the dial tone again.

If you do hear the Ooma dial tone, do the following:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Third:
Try resetting the Telo handset(s):

Procedure to reset the Ooma Telo handset.
First, if required, go to My Ooma https://www.ooma.com/app/support/ooma-t ... -functions, to view the Ooma Telo Handset button functions and location picture.
1. Turn off the Handset by pressing and holding the (red colored) End Call button, until the Handset goes off.
2. Press and hold the following two keys until told to release them later in this procedure:
Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
3. Turn on the Handset by pressing the (red colored) End Call button.
4. Release the two keys being held in step 2, Left Softkey and 0 (zero) key.
5. The Handset goes into auto registration mode.
Note: You will have to re-register the handset to the Ooma Telo.

Note: To all those users with the handset stuck in SEARCHING, when pressing the left Soft key + the 0 (zero) key, you must Continue to HOLD DOWN These Keys while turning handset back on.
Then and only then will the handset enter the registration mode, which then allows you to input the four digit code.

Register the Ooma Telo Handset:
Find the 4-digit PIN number for your Ooma Telo by logging into:
http://my.ooma.com/pin , or pressing the blue transmitter tower icon located on the Ooma Telo face, upper right hand corner. A voice announcement comes on with the PIN number.
Bring the handset next to the Ooma Telo.
Set the Ooma Telo in registration mode by pressing and holding the Paging Key located on the upper right hand face of the Ooma Telo for 3 seconds. The Paging Key will start flashing rapidly.
When prompted on the handset, enter the PIN number found above and press the OK soft key.
When the handset successfully registers, a home screen will be displayed.

johnboat40

Post by johnboat40 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks, I will give it a try.

johnboat40

Post by johnboat40 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:37 am

I initiated the factory reset as suggested and it solved my problem. Thanks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 am

For those of you visually inclined, you can take a look at a video of the Telo handset factory reset procedure: viewtopic.php?t=10782#p75053

GregH

Post by GregH » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:32 am

I have had my handset working fine for a couple of months. Twice in the last week I have experienced the "no dial tone" issue. The fix for me was to disconnect the battery and plug it back in - problem solved.
The registration should be okay since the handset is immediately recognized when I plug in the battery. However, what would cause this to happen?

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:24 am

GregH wrote:I have had my handset working fine for a couple of months. Twice in the last week I have experienced the "no dial tone" issue. The fix for me was to disconnect the battery and plug it back in - problem solved.
The registration should be okay since the handset is immediately recognized when I plug in the battery. However, what would cause this to happen?
Try doing the Ooma Telo and Ooma Telo handset procedure that is posted earlier in this post.

GregH

Post by GregH » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:11 pm

I did the Telo and Handset resets. Three days later the handset is off the grid again. Interesting that the handset will not turn off, either. I can press and hold the red off key and it will beep after 2 seconds but does not turn off.

This one may be going back for repairs...

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:54 pm

GregH wrote:I did the Telo and Handset resets. Three days later the handset is off the grid again. Interesting that the handset will not turn off, either. I can press and hold the red off key and it will beep after 2 seconds but does not turn off.

This one may be going back for repairs...
It does sound like the Ooma Telo handset is defective.