Using OOMA with mutiple wired/wireless existing phones

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
atomarchio
Using OOMA with mutiple wired/wireless existing phones

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:59 am

Can I use my existing wired/wireless phones with OOMA? I have 4 wired phone jacks in my house. If so, how does that work with OOMA?

Please let me know. Thanks.

murphy

Re: Using OOMA with mutiple wired/wireless existing phones

Post by murphy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:08 am

It will work fine but first you MUST disconnect the incoming phone line(s) that used to provide service from a brick & mortar phone company. Even with the service disconnected there is voltage on the incoming wires.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 am

There's a single phone line in my basement connected to the Time Warner VoIP device. So all I need to do is disconnect from their device and plug into yours? If so, that would populate of the phone similar to what I have now?

Do I need to purchase any additional OOMA producs for this feature?

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:35 am

If you have cable phone service, chances are they've isolated your house wiring from the phone company before they installed their phone service. Where your cable device feeds the walljack with cable phone service, you can connect Ooma's "phone" port to the same walljack (instead of the cable device feeding this walljack) and you'd have Ooma dialtone everywhere in the house like you did with cable phone.

You can read up on house wiring and distributing Ooma dialtone here: viewtopic.php?t=13354

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:58 am

Got it. Thanks.

One last question. Is caller ID/voicemail included with the initial purchase? Or are those purchased separately?

I have a friend who gets ID/voicemail for no additional charge with his OOMA.

Please clarify. Thanks.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:21 am

With basic service, you get voicemail and callerid (phone number only but if you have phone number in contacts, name will show up on your phone) among many other features.

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/featur ... -and-basic

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:26 am

Am I able to use the voicemail on my existing Panasonic telephone? Or am I required to use OOMA's voicemail feature?

If I can use the Panasonic phone voicemail, can I retrieve the voicemail remotely by dialing my home number and hitting the code while the message is playing?

Please clarify. Thanks.

cjj

Post by cjj » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:38 am

You can use use your Panasonic voicemail as usual. but you have to go into ooma voicemail preferences and set the ooma voicemail to answer AFTER your Panasonic (>6 rings or whatever), that way the ooma voicemail will never answer since your panasonic will answer first. You can retrieve messages remotely on the panasonic no problem, there is really no change in how your phone behaves.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:38 am

You can set the number of rings before vm pick up for Ooma longer than your local answering machine so that your local answering machine picks up before Ooma vm. https://my.ooma.com/voicemail You may still get some Ooma VM sometimes (if Ooma is offline, or you don't answer call waiting calls).

Incoming DTMF is supposed to work (for inputting codes to retrieve your local VM remotely) but some folks reported this not working.

atomarchio

Post by atomarchio » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:43 am

Is the feature standard with OOMA voicemail will send an e-mail with voicemail message attached was wav file? If so, can an e-mail be sent to more than one e-mail address?

Please advise. Thanks.