help needed with homedistribution

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
shao
Re: help needed with homedistribution

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:02 pm

tommies wrote:
thunderbird wrote: Also make sure that the old phone provider wiring is Really disconnected from the house wiring.
On my phone box, it's done by unplugging the phone cord from the phone jack at the corner. However, all the phone cords which come out from inside the house need to be connected together.
shao wrote: I believe I have. I disconnected the lines in the box outside of the house.
IMO, I'm not sure what you've done. Maybe a picture of the phone box will help us to help you. From your description, the house wiring needs to be checked, and the outside box is the first to look at.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 pm

Before you took the wires off the screws, were 2 green wires on the green screw and 2 red wires on the red screw?
At least, do you remember if the 2 greens were tied together via screw and 2 reds were tied together via screw?
If so, the 2 greens need to be tied together (off the screw) via butt splice connector. So do the 2 reds.
Need to cut off the exposed copper wire from each wire before using splice connectors. Twisting of copper wires together is bad for phone wires. With lights, you either have lights or you don't but with phone wires, you want to minimize noise.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:16 pm

lbmofo wrote:Before you took the wires off the screws, were 2 green wires on the green screw and 2 red wires on the red screw?
At least, do you remember if the 2 greens were tied together via screw and 2 reds were tied together via screw?
If so, the 2 greens need to be tied together (off the screw) via butt splice connector. So do the 2 reds.
Need to cut off the exposed copper wire from each wire before using splice connectors.
I remember the 2 greens were tied together via screw and 2 reds were tied together via screw.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:18 pm

Alright, keep them off the screws (and keep them connected together; red to red, green to green) and use a couple of the 2 butt connectors and you'd be done.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

1 box has 25 connectors.

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm

lbmofo wrote:Alright, keep them off the screws (and keep them connected together; red to red, green to green) and use a couple of the 2 butt connectors and you'd be done.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

1 box has 25 connectors.

Thank you lbmofo! Everything is working perfectly!

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Good to hear....ran down to Home Depot and back?

shao

Post by shao » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:12 pm

lbmofo wrote:Good to hear....ran down to Home Depot and back?
yes. luckily home depot isn't too far from where i live.