Need help with whole house wiring Ooma

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
piperpilot12w
Need help with whole house wiring Ooma

Post by piperpilot12w » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 am

Currently have cable internet service. Land-line phone service to the house was shut off. Read some of the information provided through this message board about disconnecting the line from the phone company to the house. Enclosed are a couple photos of my setup currently. I'm not getting any Ooma service to the phone jacks in the house. I have a phone cord connected from the Ooma Telo phone port to a phone jack in the house.

Any thoughts as to what the problem is? One thought I have is the phone jack I have the Ooma connected to is a jack that was added separately, after the house was built. Would that create an issue for the Ooma service to distribute throughout the house?
Attachments
IMG_1592.JPG
IMG_1592.JPG (196.38KiB)Viewed 8374 times
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG (118.85KiB)Viewed 8374 times

thunderbird

Re: Need help with whole house wiring Ooma

Post by thunderbird » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:29 pm

piperpilot12w:
It’s difficult to see for sure, but the wires at the right hand lower vertical terminal strip look like they are on three different terminal screws. I’m guessing that they should be connected (paired) together.
The two wire gray outer cover wires are proabably the wires that should be paired together.

One way to do this is:
First take a pen and paper, number each terminal screw on the paper starting with 1 and working down

Then record the wire color on each terminal. The top terminal #1 looks like the White wire is connected, and maybe the green wire. Looks like the Orange wire is connected to terminal # 2. Looks like the red wire is connected to terminal #3.

You are recording the wire to terminal position so that it is easy to return these wires to the same positions if changing them doesn’t work.

Next put the Red and White wire on the #1 top terminal. Put the Green and Orange wire on the #2 terminal.

Test all house phone jacks with a phone for Ooma Dial tone.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 pm

piperpilot12w, given that wires on top are from the phone company and lower wires are going into the house, you did the initial thing right in that you disconnected the house wiring from the phone company by disconnecting the modular plugs.

From looking at your lower terminals, it seems your 2 pairs are connected together already (orange and older convention red/green). If you use the wall jacks that you know worked when you had landline, your ooma dialtone disto should work. Just make sure you connect a known working wall jack to ooma "phone" port and try to get ooma dialtone from another known working wall jack.

piperpilot12w

Post by piperpilot12w » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 pm

This is for my mothers house and I won't be back there for a couple weeks probably. When I get back over there I will try your suggestions and report back how it went. Thanks

piperpilot12w

Post by piperpilot12w » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:31 pm

I just tried connecting the phone line from the Ooma unit, to another phone jack in the house, and it works throughout the house. Only problem is, it's not where I want the modem/router/Ooma located. The phone-jack in the room with all equipment, as I mentioned in my original post, was an add on. Is there anything that may be causing the add on phone jack to not send the Ooma service throughout the house? This particular add on jack worked fine previously with the land line phone service and is what supplied the DSL service we had prior to switching to cable internet.

Enclosed is a picture of the add on jack
Attachments
IMG_1632.JPG
IMG_1632.JPG (196.71KiB)Viewed 8171 times
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG (190.41KiB)Viewed 8171 times

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Anyway you can take a look at what's coming out of the wall behind the add-on jack?

My guess (just a guess) is that the orange-white and white-orange from NID goes into this add on jack and instead of the pair connected to the 1st pair of the jack, it is connected to the 2nd pair (orange-white is connected to the yellow at the jack and white-orange is connected to the black at the jack).

Depending on what you find, we'll figure out what to do next.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piperpilot12w

Post by piperpilot12w » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm

The red and green wires are the only ones connected.

If you look at the picture, you can see that there are 2 add on lines connected. The beige colored line (coming from the left side) is the one for the room I'm trying to connect the Ooma for whole house service. Only the red/green wires are connected.
Attachments
IMG_1591a.JPG
IMG_1591a.JPG (118.85KiB)Viewed 8154 times

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm

Do you know where the wire bunch with orange pair connected to the screws go?

What about the green wire bunch? Is the thick black wire bunch coming from the phone company?

piperpilot12w

Post by piperpilot12w » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 pm

lbmofo wrote:Do you know where the wire bunch with orange pair connected to the screws go?

What about the green wire bunch? Is the thick black wire bunch coming from the phone company?
If you mean the orange and white wires, that is an add on line for another room of the house

The thick green wire is a solid copper wire that is attached to the center screw, in the upper portion of the box.

The thick black wire comes out of the drywall and supplies all the wires to the upper screw terminals, and also the unused wires (brown/green/white) twisted around each other, that come straight down, about 4 inches, and not connected to anything.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 pm

piperpilot12w wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Do you know where the wire bunch with orange pair connected to the screws go?
If you mean the orange and white wires, that is an add on line for another room of the house
When you say it works for all jacks other than the add-on jack...what about this add-on jack where the orange wires go? Does that jack get Ooma dialtone?