Any reason why I can't put Ooma telo behind a switch?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
thunderbird
Re: Any reason why I can't put Ooma telo behind a switch?

Post by thunderbird » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Portland Runner wrote:Please explain a little more...

I had my ooma setup like this: Modem -> Router -> ooma for years without problems.

Now I want to move my wireless router (due to other variables such as baby get's the study kind of thing)

So I thought I could do this: Modem -> Switch -> ooma also Modem -> Switch -> Router
This allows me to run a longer line to the router.

Router works fine, ooma does not connect. I can plug my computer into the internet line and get internet but ooma can't connect for some reason.

Someone mentioned IP addresses, why would I get the router to work fine but not ooma behind a switch? Also, if I connect ooma behind the router (Modem -> Switch -> Router -> ooma) then it connects just fine... why would the router after the switch fix the problem.

I don't know much about networking so please go easy and explain as much as possible. Thanks! :D
The problem is that almost all Modems will issue only one IP address, or the Internet provider will issue only allow the modem to issue one IP address, unless you pay for the second IP address, which usually is very expensive.
The Router will issue many IP addresses, even if it only has three or four LAN ports.
A switch is in a way a port multiplier.
The Switch will take an IP address from the Router, or if the Switch is connected to the Home port of the Ooma Telo, take an IP address from the Ooma Telo, and issue the IP address to any Switch attached devices.

murphy

Post by murphy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Residential Cable modems allow exactly one IP address. Any requests after the first are ignored.
If you want two IP address from the cable company you have to pay extra for the second IP address.
Comcast (my provider) does not allow more than one IP address on a residential account.
Only business accounts can have more than one IP address.
That is why the first device after the modem needs to be a router.
Ooma is a router so

modem -- Ooma -- router -- switch

or

modem -- Ooma -- switch -- router

will both work.

Bottom line -- the first device after the modem must be a router.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

highq

Post by highq » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

murphy wrote:Residential Cable modems allow exactly one IP address. Any requests after the first are ignored.
If you want two IP address from the cable company you have to pay extra for the second IP address.
Comcast (my provider) does not allow more than one IP address on a residential account.
Only business accounts can have more than one IP address.
Well I have a residential account with Verizon FIoS. They have the same policy, one gets a dynamic IP address, and pays mucho bucks to get a static address.

Hanging off VZW's Actiontec modem is a Cisco router which establishes a VPN with my ISP. It provides five static addresses. The Cisco was free from my ISP (AceInnovative), and the rate for such a VPN starts at $15.00/month, depending on the speeds one wants to pay for.