Wireless adapter problems

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
wxman
Wireless adapter problems

Post by wxman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Hello,

I installed my ooma telo behind my router (wrt54gl) when I received it a couple weeks ago. Everything worked flawlessly. However, I wanted to place the telo someplace away from my router. So, I bought the wireless adapter. Installation also went well and it worked fine for a few minutes.

Then, the problems began. About every 5-10 minutes the connection drops (the ooma logo blinks red for a bit), and then it comes back. On occasion, the ooma appears to do a complete reboot. Initially the ooma and router were on different floors of my house, but I moved them into the same room to make sure it was not a weak signal problem. I called ooma tech support and they checked my telo. They said it was one of two problems, either the adapter was bad or there were a couple router settings they thought I might need to change (but they couldn't help me with specifics) They are sending me a replacement wireless adapter, but seemed to think a router problem was more likely. When I disconnected the wireless adapter and resumed a wired connection, everything worked fine again.

Does anyone have any thing to suggest if the replacement adapter does not work (or that I could try while waiting for the adapter to arrive). Initially, the router had the default Linksys firmware, but today I flashed the dd-wrt firmware because I heard it was more powerful. I should note that I'm not very networking savvy. I've made minor router adjustments and setup security settings, but that is about it.

Thanks!

murphy

Re: Wireless adapter problems

Post by murphy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Do you have 2.4 GHz cordless phones or X10 video cameras?
Both can interfere with a 2.4 GHz WiFi signal.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

wxman

Post by wxman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

My cordless phone is 5.8 GHz Panasonic. No x10 camera. None of my other wireless connections (2 computers, Wii, printer) seem to have any issues.

wxman

Post by wxman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Well, the replacement wireless adapter arrived today. Very nice response time by ooma. Unfortunately, once I installed the replacement adapter, the connection dropped 3X in about 20 minutes. So, this one seems to be about the same as the original one as far as dropped connections.

My router does not have problems maintaining connection with any other equipment. Are there any router tweaks to try to improve the reliability of the connection? I could try buying a new router, since it is several years old, but I'd hate to replace a perfectly good router and still have this problem.

Thanks again for any advice you can provide.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

My buddy had the same router and he recently changed into something newer because he had connection issues. But if you don't have problems maintaining connection with other devices, I am not certain what could be going on.

You can get a wireless bridge to connect your Ooma via ethernet. Look here for what I use: /viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13450&start=20#p97898

Or you can try to get an updated router and see. Look here for optimizing router settings: /viewtopic.php?t=14952#p104179

murphy

Post by murphy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:58 am

Take your Telo to a friend or relatives house and see if it works there.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

thunderbird

Post by thunderbird » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:24 am

From past experience in this forum, the WRT54's seems to works great if using the wired LAN connection to the Ooma Telo.

But when using the 54's Wi-Fi connection, it will often (almost always) cause the Ooma Telo to flash red.

The 54's are of a much older design and will cause problems with Ooma products.

If planing to use the Wireless Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle in your home, I'd plan on finding a later more up to date Router.

wxman

Post by wxman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:43 am

Thanks for the ideas/feedback. I'll try them and report back. Maybe I should save the time and just go the new router route.

wxman

Post by wxman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm

Well, I'd left my Telo on the wired connection the past few weeks without problems. Broke down and decided to get a new router since my Linksys WRT54GL was several years old. Picked up a Western Digital My Net N750 (maybe a gamble, but it typically has good reviews and it's user friendly).

Again, like last time, the new router works fine on the wired connection, but frequently drops the wireless connection.

Called ooma for technical support to see if they had any ideas. They had a "level 2" tech log into my telo and check/tweak some settings. That did not work, so they are sending me a second replacement wireless adapter. They are also considering replacing my telo.

I have to think there is some wireless setting that is the culprit, but I haven't found it yet, nor has ooma been able to provide any suggestions. I can't fault them for their response, but this is getting frustrating.

Any ideas? Thanks!

WayneDsr

Post by WayneDsr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:58 pm

I had that same router a year or so ago and I had no problems with the Ooma wireless. It could be in the security settings.
What security mode are you using, I believe I was using WPA2 Mixed mode?? (AES and TKIP) in order for it to work correctly.

Wayne
ooma customer since January 2009
ooma hardware: core (hub/scout) and Telo
Lifetime Premier Member