NO DIAL TONE!!!!

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
velias
NO DIAL TONE!!!!

Post by velias » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm

everything set up fine except I have no dial tone.
I've tried TWO phones each with their own phone cords.
One was a traditional "old-fashioned" type of phone.
It gets phone calls and sends them to voice mail but the phone wont ring.
My modern Uniden phone says "Check Tel Line" when plugged into ooma.
When I plug it straight into the wall for my regular phone service it works fine.
My brother has the same exact phone and he had no problems setting up his oooma system.

HOW DO I FIX THIS?
And yes the phone is properly plugged into the "phone" port on the ooma.
I've been on voice chat 4 times now and they are perplexed.
Do I have to email Eric Stang or Jamie Buckley to get my money back?

lbmofo

Re: NO DIAL TONE!!!!

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm

All buttons on your Telo including Ooma logo are blue?

velias

Post by velias » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

lbmofo wrote:All buttons on your Telo including Ooma logo are blue?
Yep.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

velias wrote:Do I have to email Eric Stang or Jamie Buckley to get my money back?
Customer support should be able to take care of you.

velias

Post by velias » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:51 am

lbmofo wrote:
velias wrote:Do I have to email Eric Stang or Jamie Buckley to get my money back?
Customer support should be able to take care of you.
Nope, They run the company, they get paid very well to make a product that isn't defective. A product that should be tested before it is sold.
They have failed. They need to know about their failure. If everyone emailed the excutive team that had a problem with ooma then I am sure the problems would be fixed!

Spent an hour or two with 4 customer service people via the online chat.
They were perplexed and had no suggestions other than to wait till the "hotline" opens
What can the people on the phone hotline do that the people on the online chat can't do?

Just issue me an RMA and make me stop emailing the executives and putting bad reviews on amazon and everywhere else!

EX Bell

Post by EX Bell » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:22 am

Clearly, you have a defective Telo. Could be as simple as a faulty solder point at the phone jack. Contact customer support during normal business hours and you should be well served.

Ooma after hours chat techs likely are not versed in the exceptional circumstances like you are experiencing. They are more than likely only equipped to follow a script and deal with typical configuration issues. This is very common with most technology companies.

Ooma is a good company and the Telo has proven to be a very reliable product to work with. I just finished my 23rd Telo install/port/training yesterday. Installed properly, nothing beats it. Of the 23 I've installed, none have had a defect. One was thought to be defective and was swapped. It was later discovered the issue was an intermittent fault with the customer's router.
Last edited by EX Bell on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Customer Since: 1/17/12
Service: Premier 1/30/2012
BELL Canada Port: 1/30/12 - 2/13/12
TekSavvy via BELL FTTN: 25 Mbps/10 Mbps
Setup: Sagemcom 2864 > Cisco E2000 > Time Capsule v1 > Telo
Handsets: Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:24 pm

velias wrote:Just issue me an RMA and make me stop emailing the executives and putting bad reviews on amazon and everywhere else!
I wonder if your iPhone was DOA, if you would email Tim Cook and give bad reviews on Amazon and everywhere else.

velias

Post by velias » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:42 pm

lbmofo wrote:
velias wrote:Just issue me an RMA and make me stop emailing the executives and putting bad reviews on amazon and everywhere else!
I wonder if your iPhone was DOA, if you would email Tim Cook and give bad reviews on Amazon and everywhere else.
Don't have or want an iphone, but yes i would. And if everyone else were like me things would obviously change.

They are sending me a new one 2nd day air supposedly.
And if they don't i will email/call more executives until its replaced.
Now that's how you get service doesn't matter if its ooma or hamburgers, go to the top.
You other people can hang around for hours on technical support whining and rebooting when it doesn't need to be rebooted. Going through their stupid checklist when its obvious from the start the phone jack or phone interface electronics are busted.

Yes it obviously is a bad jack or connection or DAA module inside the ooma.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 pm

velias wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
Don't have or want an iphone, but yes i would. And if everyone else were like me things would obviously change.

They are sending me a new one 2nd day air supposedly.
And if they don't i will email/call more executives until its replaced.
Now that's how you get service doesn't matter if its ooma or hamburgers, go to the top.
You other people can hang around for hours on technical support whining and rebooting when it doesn't need to be rebooted. Going through their stupid checklist when its obvious from the start the phone jack or phone interface electronics are busted.

Yes it obviously is a bad jack or connection or DAA module inside the ooma.
I think people should give normal channels of issue resolution a chance before taking extraordinary measures. Luckily these "normal channels" work very well usually. If you get DOA device, you get a new replacement. You get your burger made wrong, they make you a correct one. But if everyone emailed/called execs and CEOs every time for something so trivial, that would drive every company into the ground. Going to the top sometimes is appropriate and do get genuine attention and effort in return. But if there is no filter on when to go to the top, likely, the approach/attitude they take would be different. When problem is gone, sure, they'll be happy but not because they were able to help and solve a problem but only glad because they got rid of a pest.

velias

Post by velias » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:18 pm

Ha the replacement unit they sent me next day air instantly worked with both phones i had.
so YES THE FIRST UNIT WAS DEFECTIVE.
I had to fight and fight and convince them it was broken and waste their time and my time
to get a new (actually refurbished) unit.

As soon as I plugged the same phone in my phone no longer said "check tel line" on its display
and I get a dial tone unlike the previous ooma unit.
so YES IT WAS their fault for selling me a defective unit.

Now they need to better test these things before they are sold to make sure they work.