Setup static ip

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
genexxa
Setup static ip

Post by genexxa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:30 am

Hi guys,

my Ooma Telo is currently plugged into my Router (modem -> Router -> Telo). Everything is working fine but I would like to set a static ip to my Ooma. Is there a way that I can change my Telo from DHCP to static ip address? Is there a management interface that I can connect to?

thanks

lbmofo

Re: Setup static ip

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:26 am

Static via DHCP reservation.

genexxa

Post by genexxa » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:30 am

So there's no management interface other than the web one.

lbmofo

Post by lbmofo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:45 am

If you connect a computer to the "Home Network" port of Ooma, you can get to the device page via http://setup.ooma.com
However, since your Ooma is connected to the router, you just have your router give your Ooma a fixed IP address via DHCP reservation.

Optimal setup for after the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403

highq

Post by highq » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:54 pm

lbmofo wrote:If you connect a computer to the "Home Network" port of Ooma, you can get to the device page via http://setup.ooma.com
However, since your Ooma is connected to the router, you just have your router give your Ooma a fixed IP address via DHCP reservation.

Optimal setup for after the router: viewtopic.php?t=12403
It is not at at all necessary to reserve an address for the Telo in the router. I prefer to assign a fixed number in the Telo itself.

My ISP, AceInnovative, only uses static addresses for its customers. I pay them $20.month for five IP numbers, 25Dn/5Up service. They gave me (free) a Cisco router which establishes a VPN back to AceInnovative over Verizon FiOS. Since that router doesn't run a DHCP server at all, I logged in to the Telo using a browser, assigned it one of those five numbers and then told the Telo to use that number, not DHCP.

tkljr

Post by tkljr » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:25 am

genexxa wrote: Is there a way that I can change my Telo from DHCP to static ip address? Is there a management interface that I can connect to?
I received my Telo yesterday and that's what I did. The "Internet" settings page allows you to set a static ip and on the "Advanced" page you can set "Allow access to Web interface from INTERNET port". This initial setup has to be done while connected to the "HOME" port but after that the Telo Web interface is accessible via the static ip. No router changes are necessary (assuming you've picked an ip outside of the DHCP pool).

Tom

madmartian

Post by madmartian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:29 pm

I know this thread is old, but it comes up high in search results, so I am adding a step by step guide:

1. Plug an Ethernet cable from a computer (not the router) to the port next to the power cable.
2. Open a browser on the computer and go to setup.ooma.com - this should bring up the setup screen.
3. Click "Internet" on the left menu.
4. Click "Connection Type" and choose "Static IP Address".
5. Scroll down and enter the IP address into that section.
6. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
7. set DNS Server 1 to 8.8.8.8 and DNS Server 2 to 8.8.4.4
8. Set "Router Address" to the address of your router - the 1st 3 sets of digits should be the same as the static IP address of the OOMA.
9. Click "Update Device", then "OK".
10. Unplug the computer from the OOMA.
11. Plug the router into the OOMA port next to the phone jack.
12. Unplug the OOMA, wait 10 seconds, plug it back in.
13. Wait for the OOMA software to update.

ooma394

Post by ooma394 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 am

Beware of the post by "madmartian"!! The suggested IP address "setup.ooma.com" in his post will not be properly resolved -- it doesn't really exist at the time of this writing -- however a substitute numerical IP address may be suggested. If you try that, this is where the trouble begins. Although madmartian's instructions may indeed set up a static ip for your Ooma, your browser will now be dealing with the internet through an unwanted proxy address. This will lead eventually to no internet connections possible on your system. The goal now is for you to search for an answer on another computer. However your search may lead you to a non-Microsoft site that offers a "solution". However, the likely real intent is to insert malware from the fancy colorful "we can fix this for you" page that comes up. YIKES! This is where I stopped in my tracks. The social engineering behind this ruse is absolutely amazing :-( Ironically there is a REAL Microsoft forum thread that will help you with fake proxy issues. HOPEFULLY you will not need help because you did not make the error I did. Help for a genuine proxy solution is discussed by Microsoft support here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/ ... 5c186f785c

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:11 pm

I recently tried the instructions provided by "madmartian" and had no problem resolving "setup.ooma.com" and changing the device's Internet IP address. Nevertheless, I found the default numerical address you can use instead is the following: http://172.27.35.1
Note that either address works only when connected to the "Home Network" port on the Telo.
See also "Accessing Your Device Settings" at https://support.ooma.com/home/accessing ... -settings/

Perhaps the problem described by "ooma394" was caused by the Ethernet port on his/her computer not being configured to receive an IP address automatically? Or maybe I didn't have the problem because my setup is different: Internet -> Modem/Router (with Wi-Fi) -> Telo
so my computers don't connect to the Internet through the Telo as it sounds like his/hers do.

wrnoof

Post by wrnoof » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:13 am

@Ryan and @madmartian were both correct for me. Once I switched my computer ethernet access back to DHCP, assigning a static IP to the Ooma Telo went flawlessly. I also went to advanced and selected the option to access the Ooma web interface through the internet port for easier future access.