New Telo Unit

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
lzhj9k
New Telo Unit

Post by lzhj9k » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:23 am

Good Afternoon

In looking at the Best Buy website I see the OOMA Telo and a different version OOMA Telo unit...

The previous version is clearanced and the new Telo is regular price

Is there a NEW telo unit ??

Mike

Linwood

Re: New Telo Unit

Post by Linwood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:31 am

Yes. The new Telo do not have the "1" and "2" on them (quick way to find out).

I haven't really found where this was announced or any clear difference in the two (other than the obvious), but yes, it does complicate a bit buying if you want the new one. I couldn't tell if other retailers like Amazon had old pictures or not, very few (Best Buy being one) distinguished between them.

lzhj9k

Post by lzhj9k » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:49 am

New Telo

Product Features

From BEST BUY WebSite

Connects to high-speed, fixed-line 256 Kbps and 384 Kbps networks

So you can call most numbers in the U.S. and enjoy low international calling rates (taxes and fees apply).

Compatible with most corded and cordless home phones

To enable use with your existing phone (high-speed Internet connection required).

Built-in DECT 6.0 technology

Supports optional Ooma HD2 handsets and Ooma Linx remote phone jacks (not included).

PureVoice HD technology

Utilizes dual 450MHz processors, 1GB memory, an advanced voice compression algorithm, wire-speed quality of service, adaptive redundancy and HD Voice technology for call clarity. Also features encryption for privacy.

My Ooma online command system

Allows you to check your voicemail and call logs, configure your preferences, upload your contact list, update your 911 address and more via your compatible cell phone or other Internet-connectable device.

911 alerts

Send a text message to your cell phone if someone dials 911 from your Ooma phone.

Voicemail, caller ID and call waiting

Provide versatile functionality.

Built-in speaker

Allows you to screen calls prior to answering.

Touch-sensitive keypad

Offers one-touch access to voicemail and other frequently used features.

Ethernet LAN

Lets you easily link with your compatible router.

USB port

Allows you to connect compatible Wi-Fi and Bluetooth accessories.
ec

Linwood

Post by Linwood » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am

I'm not sure of your intent lzhj9k, but I didn't notice anything in there different between the two devices, which I think was the initial question?

lzhj9k

Post by lzhj9k » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:18 pm

The intent was to determine if in fact there was a NEW telo unit and what the difference might be.

The new telo unit is different from the original telo in that the new unit only has one phone jack on the back side of the unit vs two phone jacks on the older telo unit. I also looks to be smaller than the original Telo.

I dont know if any additional improvements were made to this unit

OOMA website shows the old unit but Best Buy has photos of the new unit

I have invested in 4 old handsets and now 4 new HD2 handsets and have had the same problems as other with these new HD2 handsets

Have invested in the system and need to determine if it it is worthwhile to continue to invest in the system.

Mike

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Simple answer, yes! Ooma continues to add features and hone the operation of the Telo - but the good news (IMHO) is that the older units perform as well as the new ones. I have both the older and the newer units and am totally pleased. I only have 3 handsets but even their performance continues to improve. As an example, a battery problem I was having (where the handset could not accurately show charge level) has gone away because of a software update that is being pushed to all Telo users over the next week or so.

The purpose of the two modular jacks on the first Telo was to allow them to do "land line integration". Probably the worst idea since an ingredient I saw on Chopped the other night: Pickled Pig Lips!! :shock:
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

Ely

Post by Ely » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 pm

So with this new Telo how do you tell when Line 1 or 2 is being used if there's no indicator? sorry to hijack this thread
System: Ooma Telo
Mbps: 68 Down / 12 Up
PING TIME: 5Ms
Modem>Router>Telo
===========================
Eli Linares @
http://www.realact.net
===========================

southsound

Post by southsound » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:43 pm

If you are using an HD2 handset, it will show up on the screen at the top. Remember, however, that the Line 1 and Line 2 indications really mean next to nothing. Even if you have two phone numbers, the first call will always use Line 1.

We have both Telo systems in a network closet that also serves as office supply storage. I never even see the actual system unless I'm making changes or getting a new toner cartridge or ream of paper. I use both the HD2 handsets and a couple of Uniden DECT 6 base stations with 6 handsets each.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

jaarroyo

Post by jaarroyo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:33 am

I was curious about this and went "looking". Found that they are pretty much the same in the parts that matter:
- Dual core 450MHZ processor. In the newer literature they refer to a 900MHZ, but then clarifies that it is dual core 450MHZ
- 1GB NAND Flash Memory
- Router
- Speaker - The newer picture shows a "bigger" speaker, so perhaps the newer unit sound will be better? That is pure speculation
- DECT 6.0
- Less lights in the newer unit. The top row and the 1/2 are gone. Probably cheaper for them to manufacture. I wont miss the lights.
- The newer unit is more pleasing to the eye with smoother more rounded lines. Mine is in a closet, so it does not matter, but if it were out in the open, I would prefer the newer "look"

So given that, I would go for the clearance "many lights" version. I have that one with a Lynx using 2 lines and so far issues.

JimmyO

Post by JimmyO » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:25 pm

I took pictures of the new Ooma Telo model in case anybody wants to see the actual unit itself. Click on the picture to see it bigger.

There are 6 physical buttons with extra functions:
Volume Up
Volume Down
Trash
Rewind (Holding down adjusts Ooma logo light)
Play
Forward (Holding down enables Do Not Disturb)

There are 5 ports and a hidden button.
USB port
Power port
Home Network Port
Ethernet Port (Usually used to connect Ooma to a router)
Phone Jack

And there is a button which according to the Ooma voice announcer enables paging.

And the new Ooma Telo model comes in a new blue and white box. The box however shows that all the buttons have a blue backlight but I haven't found a way to enable that.