ADSL modem router blocks VOIP?

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
linnmcd
ADSL modem router blocks VOIP?

Post by linnmcd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:22 pm

I have a Frontier ADSL+2 modem router and have tried unsuccessfully with three different Telos to set up my system. I've done 3 chat supports and 1 phone support. Yes, I have it set up correctly, and yes, the TO INTERNET port is blinking green and amber. I even bought an Ooma bluetooth adapter and no luck. No matter what I do, the Telo logo flashes red.
I'd really love to drop my landline but am ready to give up. Any ideas? I've read that some ADSL modem routers block VOIP, so is this what is happening? Any way to get around this? Thanks

linnmcd

Re: ADSL modem router blocks VOIP?

Post by linnmcd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

I did the recommended step of connecting a computer (actually my DSL line-in) to the Home Network port of the Ooma, and connected the ethernet cable from the To Internet port on the Ooma to the DSL line-in port on the modem router. The internet works this way, so is my modem router blocking Ooma in the previous setup? My Ooma still does not work with this alternative setup. I have no idea how to access the modem router settings, since Frontier did not leave a manual and I cannot find one for the ADSL+2.

linnmcd

Post by linnmcd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:40 pm

Also, the 1 and 2 on the Ooma light up blue.

focuspuller

Post by focuspuller » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:21 pm

linnmcd wrote:I did the recommended step of connecting a computer (actually my DSL line-in) to the Home Network port of the Ooma, and connected the ethernet cable from the To Internet port on the Ooma to the DSL line-in port on the modem router. The internet works this way, so is my modem router blocking Ooma in the previous setup? My Ooma still does not work with this alternative setup. I have no idea how to access the modem router settings, since Frontier did not leave a manual and I cannot find one for the ADSL+2.
It looks like your not connecting your TELO correctly.
Just connect an Ethernet cable from the modem to internet port on the telo.
Your computer can connect to another Ethernet port on the modem.

See if this is your Modem
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5997,d.aWw

or this one

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 5997,d.aWw
One if by Land
Two if by Sea
Three if by Limo

linnmcd

Post by linnmcd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:24 am

Thanks for the help. I did your suggested solution (ethernet cable in TO INTERNET port and into a port on the modem) first, actually numerous times with the three Telos I've tried to use. No luck. So I tried the alternative solution I mentioned earlier as that was suggested by another online forum. The original preferred setup you mentioned results in the flashing red logo with the 1 and 2 lit blue every time.
I found a Frontier phone company pdf (too large to attach it) that outlines how to set up a modem (not my modem router model) and it mentions the use of DSL filters. I did use those with the landline, but I don't see how this could be the issue for VOIP. As I mentioned earlier, I'm ready to drop the idea of VOIP and return the unit; online chat and phone support at Ooma cannot figure out a solution.
It's funny how something that's not that important in life - in the whole scheme of things - can irritate someone so much and cause so much frustration. I guess I don't want this to "win" - I'm quite techy and can usually figure most things out. Ugh.

southsound

Post by southsound » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:38 am

I believe focuspuller is correct in that the Telo has to be connected to one of the ports on the modem/router - not in the telephone line that feeds the DSL signal. As to the DSL filters, you will not have any need for them. In fact, if you use them, they will kill your DSL signal. They are designed to keep the DSL signal out of the voice line if you are using a normal land line.

My question involves the cable you are using between the Telo and the modem/router. Is it a regular modular phone cable or is it one designed for Ethernet? The proper cable will have a wider plug than the ones for telephone use. I ask this because you said that in one of your attempts you plugged in the Telo between the wall jack and the modem/router. That would have required the use of a regular modular phone cable because one made for ethernet would NOT fit. Please check to make sure you are using a known good Ethernet cable between the modem/router and the Telo's Internet jack.
ooma customer since February 2009
VoIP hardware: 2 Telo w/3 handsets & Linx / ooma core
Total Lines: 8 / Numbers: 11 / Handsets: 20
Lifetime Premier Member
Friends don't remember what Landline Integration was or why we did it.

linnmcd

Post by linnmcd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks for the help and yes, I have the correct ethernet cable connected to one of the ports on the modem/router. As we all know, a phone cable will not fit in an ethernet port (it is too small) and an ethernet cable will not fit into a phone port (it is too large). I used the blackethernet cable that came with the Telo. I used the existing phone cable that I have on my phone that was previously plugged into a phone jack in the wall.

TripleTaco

Post by TripleTaco » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:34 pm

I'm having the same problem with a NetGear B90-755044-15 with the Frontier label on the front. I use my Ooma telo at other locations with no problems. There is something funky about this Modem/router combo. I do think it is the IP of the Telo not matching the subnet. I wish there was an easy way of fixing it without modifying this network or my Telo settings too much.

Timbitandmuffin

Post by Timbitandmuffin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:00 am

I had two Ooma Telo working with Frontier (NetGear) ADSL modem/router for about two months so I ported my Frontier number over as well as continuing to use my secondary number on a separate older Ooma Telo. All working fine until this weekend when both flashed red with no successful connection. I thought they got fryed (power outage/surge)! That was at my cabin so I took both home and of course they both work now. Frontier must have done something to their internet service to block Ooma - why else would they worked before and all of a sudden stop working! I did not change anything. Any else had it working and suddenly flashing red? This is frustrating. Note I also have NetTalk o the same router and that still works...matter of time before they block that too. Can they really legally do this? Why would Ooma not have information it if Frontier is blocking Ooma. Help Ooma, help anyone out there? Thanks

thomasm

Post by thomasm » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:05 pm

I was poking around logged in to my Telo this past week and discovered a very handy utility that can check what (if any) UDP ports are being blocked by your modem/router/isp. I seem to recall port 53 was the only one being blocked by A T & T but I haven't bothered to look up that port since it doesn't seem to affect any of my devices/applications.