Installation Problem

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
murphy
Re: Installation Problem

Post by murphy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:50 am

scottlindner wrote:I have ports forwarded all over the place, so I could not use a DMZ if I understand correctly.
DMZ is independent of whatever other port forwarding you have implemented. The IP address that is placed in the DMZ receives all incoming packets just as if the router was not there. i.e. it logically places that IP address ahead of the router. All other port forwarding takes place the same as if the DMZ was not defined.
Customer since January 2009
Telo with 2 Handsets, a Linx, and a Safety Phone
Telo2 with 2 Handsets and a Linx

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:55 am

murphy wrote:
scottlindner wrote:I have ports forwarded all over the place, so I could not use a DMZ if I understand correctly.
DMZ is independent of whatever other port forwarding you have implemented. The IP address that is placed in the DMZ receives all incoming packets just as if the router was not there. i.e. it logically places that IP address ahead of the router. All other port forwarding takes place the same as if the DMZ was not defined.
Gotcha. So if I am port forwarding obviously those ports will not land within the DMZ?

Scott

bmx

Post by bmx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 am

scottlindner wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:DMZ stands for demilitarized zone... Basically it opens a hole in the firewall to the IP address specified for the DMZ (all ports are forwarded to the device). It is like putting the device in front of the router insted of behind the router's NAT firewall.
That is the simplest and most precise description of it I have ever seen. If it's really that simple then I completely understand what it's about.

I have ports forwarded all over the place, so I could not use a DMZ if I understand correctly.

Scott
We should put this on wiki. that is why I have to disable all dmz and restart router and it works now.

scottlindner

Post by scottlindner » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:16 pm

bmx wrote:
scottlindner wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:DMZ stands for demilitarized zone... Basically it opens a hole in the firewall to the IP address specified for the DMZ (all ports are forwarded to the device). It is like putting the device in front of the router insted of behind the router's NAT firewall.
That is the simplest and most precise description of it I have ever seen. If it's really that simple then I completely understand what it's about.

I have ports forwarded all over the place, so I could not use a DMZ if I understand correctly.

Scott
We should put this on wiki. that is why I have to disable all dmz and restart router and it works now.
Did my ignorant questions help you solve a problem? :)